CDIH
Lewis - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Lewis (/showthread.php?tid=5530)

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 03-09-2003

Does anyone think he'll defend his belt again or is he going to just retire?

- GonzoStyle - 03-09-2003

Tyson later this year.

With Lewis whipping his ass again and retaining right?

- GonzoStyle - 03-09-2003

That's the logical outcome but I am hoping for tyson to land one shot. Lewis is holding back the division by fighting once a year now, his ticket to the H.O.F is punched and sealed. He's defeated everyone he's had to. The whole "super heavyweight of the future" idea went downhill, especially after last night.

Michael Grant was the 1st of the big 6' 6" 260 pound "future" heavyweights to fall. Now Klitschko the supposed heir apparant and future champion also got exposed. That brings it back to lewis being the only dominant of the big heavyweights, all the jameel mclines and lance whitakers and all the tall and large fighters are not the stuff of the future.

There are a lot of good prospects coming up, lewis I think is just excating revenge on a division that treated him like the bastard stepchild for almost 10 years.

The only fight he is interested in is the tyson fight.

Do you think Tyson will get serious and really train hard for the Lewis fight? Will he be able to get inside?

- GonzoStyle - 03-29-2003

If anyone is interested.

Here's the deal with lewis now.

Lewis was supposed to fight mandatory challanger Vitali Klitchsko earlier this year. Vitali is the older brother of Wladimir Kiltschko who was viewed by many to be the heir to the throne, until he was knocked out in 2 rounds, 3 weeks ago by journey man Corrie Sanders.

Vladimir sued Lewis who had a contractual agreement already signed to fight him a few months ago. Today the WBC which is the only sanctioning title that lewis has NOT been stripped of (due to not fighting the mandatories set by the IBF and WBA). Lewis beat Holyfield in a unification of all 3 belts but was stripped of two titles for not fighting John Ruiz and Chris Byrd, both of whom later won the titles lewis was stripped of. Coincidently they both beat Holyfield in their title matches, Ruiz lost the belt to Jones Junior as we all know now.

Lewis is only sticking around for a Tyson rematch cause in his assessment of "Byrd" is no challange and that he only wants to fight challanging opponents, he still feels that a tyson fight is "challanging". Nice ruse but we all know he wants in for the money.

The WBC has no problem with Lewis fighting tyson, under the stipulation that the winner of the fight has to defend the WBC title against Vitali within 120 days. So the deadline is set for lewis, he has to fight Tyson by June 30th of this year or forfeit the fight and either fight Vitali or be stripped of the title and possess no titles whatsoever.

Tyson has stated he is not interested in being a punching bag for lewis again and wants 2 or 3 more fights before he faces Lewis. So that leaves only 3 months for the fight to take place, which is basically impossible.

Lewis's only hope is to fight Klitschko first, give tyson another 8 months. 5 - 6 months to have 2-3 more tune up fights and then 2 months to train for a championship bout.

I guess we'll wait and see what Lewis's decision is. Ofcourse the other decision is to just retire but I doubt that if he hasn't retired by now. He no longer has to fight Wladimir Klitschko cause he was exposed as another pretender to the crown. Vladimir is a much safer bet for lewis cause his heart and determination is in much question.

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 03-29-2003

Too bad Jones Jr. is too small to fight Lewis...I'd really like to see that...

- GonzoStyle - 03-29-2003

Not even a contest, lewis would cripple Jones.

BTW there are two fights on HBO tonight at 10pm.

Hopkins defends his undisputed middleweight titles against a mandatory.

the undercard is more interesting though. A rematch between David Tua and Hasim Rahman from 1997, Tua won a very very very controversial KO victory in the next to last round.

- Keyser Soze - 03-29-2003

tyson/jones would be a good fight.

- PatCooper - 03-30-2003

That fight last night was bullshit. Rahman clearly should have won. tua had a couple of chances of ending it but he kept letting Rahman hold him and push away from the ropes. For those who didnt see it it went the distance and ended in a draw. I didnt see the Hopkins fight i started watching confidential. They said after the fight that Lewis will be fighting in June but no one knows who the opponent will be yet.