CDIH
Baseball preview - more than just Yankees, Mets, and Sox - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Baseball preview - more than just Yankees, Mets, and Sox (/showthread.php?tid=5658)

Pages: 1 2

- Galt - 03-18-2003

I have not been paying as much attention as I normally do to baseball, but I am ashamed that nothing has been put out there yet. Yes, I admit my bias. I think the Sox will kick ass this year. The've addressed the problems they had last year (atrocious bullpen - like 15-30 in one run games, and no bench depth). The offense will be much better and won't rely completely on Manny or Nomar (who is not injury prone) with a huge offensive upgrade at 1B and 2B and Millar/Hillenbrand/Ortiz will put up better numbers than Daubach. If Pedro (who is injury prone) which he did all year last year, I see no reason why Lowe drops, and why Casey Fossum can't have a good year. The Yanks have been too fortunate without any injuries, and I wish a pox on them.

AL East
Red Sox
Blue Jays
Yankees ( F U C K Y O U )
Devil Rays
Orioles

AL Central
Twins
White Sox
Indians
Royals
Tigers

AL West
As
Mariners
Angels
Rangers (Best last place team in baseball)

Playoffs: Red Sox, Twins, As, Mariners

NL East
Marlins
Braves
Expos
Phillies
Mets

I'm having a real tough time with this division. The only thing I'm comfortable with is the Mets in last. They had some real bad luch last year, but even if they turn things around, are they better than the Expos or Phillies? I don't think so. I think they're all going to be better. Marlins staff is great, but Braves' could be much better if Hampton rebounds.

NL Central
Astros
Cardinals
Cubs
Reds
Pirates
Brewers

NL West
DBacks
Giants
Dodgers
Rockies
Padres

Playoffs
Marlins, DBacks, Astros, Cards

A's, Sox, Astros, Marlins
Can't bring myself to name my actual pick

Awards
AL MVP: Manny
AL Cy Young: Mussina
AL ROY: Travis Hafner
NL MVP: Ivan Rodriguez
NL CY: Johnson (Sure, I want to say Prior or Wood or Oswalt, but it's just always going to be Johnson unless he gets hurt)
NL ROY: Marlon Byrd

Fantasy steals:
Aramis Ramirez, Scott Williamson, Vernon Wells, Erubiel Durazo, Preston Wilson (though not as much as people think), Juan Gonzalez

I'm tired and my sleep pattern is all bashed apart.

- Teenweek - 03-18-2003

April and May standings
Quote:AL East
Red Sox
Blue Jays
Yankees ( F U C K Y O U )
Devil Rays
Orioles

August and September standings

Yankees
Blue Jays
Red Sox
Devil Rays
Orioles

- diceisgod - 03-18-2003

The Phillies

Your Team

- Keyser Soze - 03-18-2003

AL East
Red Sox
Yankees
Blue Jays
Orioles
Devil Rays

AL Central
Twins
White Sox
Indians
Royals
Tigers

AL West
As
Angels
Rangers
Mariners

NL East
Mets
Phillies
Expos
Marlins
Braves

NL Central
Astros
Cardinals
Cubs
Reds
Pirates
Brewers

NL West
Giants
DBacks
Dodgers
Rockies
Padres

Playoffs
AL - Sox, Twins, A's, Wild Card - Yankees
Oakland beat Twins who beat Yankees, and then Oakland beat Red Sox to go to World Series

NL - Mets, Giants, Astros, Wild Card - Phillies
Mets beat Phillies who Beat Giants, and then Mets beat Astros to go to World Series

Mets beat Oakland in 7 game world series, Piazza gets MVP

Awards
AL MVP: Miguel Tejada
AL Cy Young: Pedro Martinez
AL ROY: Mark Teixeira

NL MVP: Mike Piazza
NL CY: Curt Schilling
NL ROY: Gavin Floyd

Fantasy steals:
Ken Griffey Jr., Roberto Alomar, Kevin Millwood, Ivan Rodriguez, Shea Hillenbrand, Juan Gonzalez

- Arpikarhu - 03-18-2003

mets win world series?!?!?!?!
you people are delusional!!!!!

- Galt - 03-18-2003

Stay away from Shea.

Karim Garcia is the other guy I couldn't think of.

30 homers 100 RBI

- Arpikarhu - 03-18-2003

Quote:Ken Griffey Jr., Roberto Alomar, Kevin Millwood, Ivan Rodriguez, Shea Hillenbrand, Juan Gonzalez
wow! where did you get these names? you must really know your baseball. Rolleyes

- criticslovesnatch - 03-20-2003

Quote:Mets beat Oakland in 7 game world series, Piazza gets MVP

:Confusednicker::

- Sir O - 03-20-2003

Quote:Fantasy steals:
Aramis Ramirez, Scott Williamson, Vernon Wells, Erubiel Durazo, Preston Wilson (though not as much as people think), Juan Gonzalez
Yes, yes, no, yes, yes (.280-100-35-100-35 in the 7th round :thumbs-up: ), no. Add Aubrey Huff, Mo Vaughn, Edgardo Alfonzo, Josh Beckett, Danys Baez.

NL East:
Braves
Phils
Mets
Marlins
Expos

Braves still have the best balance of offense and pitching in the division. Furcal, Sheff, Fick, Jones, and Jones should all have big years. Maddux is still the third best pitcher in the NL when healthy, Russ Ortiz will be huge this year, Hampton and Byrd are iffy, but their bullpen is excellent. Philly could score the most runs in the league this year outside of Colorado, which will help them overcome a slightly better than average pitching staff. Mets remain an enigma - the potential is there for 100 wins, or 70 wins. I'll split the difference and say they win 85, good for third in a pretty strong division. Florida could have a top 5 pitching staff, but the total lack of power in their offense means a lot of 3-2, 2-1 losses. Montreal's basically a lame duck team, with Vlad and Vidro and little else. Not the worst in the league, but worse than last year and worst in the division.

NL Central:
Astros
Cardinals
Reds
Cubs
Pirates
Brewers

Huge dropoff after the top 3. Houston and St. Louis both look like legit WS contenders, but I give the edge to Houston with Berkman likely to put up an MVP like year, Kent having a big year, good starting pitching and an excellent bullpen. Cincy should at least hang in there, Cubs need offense in the worst way, Pittsburgh is the definition of mediocrity, Brewers are just plain terrible.

NL West:
D'Backs
Giants
Dodgers
Padres
Rockies

Arizona and SF should be 1-2 in the division, but your guess is as good as mine as to what order. Az's got the two best pitchers in the game, but once again, the rest of their rotation is shaky at best. Dessens could be the bust of the year, and how will Kim fare as a starter? Bullpen is also a question mark. Giants are hurting from the loss of Kent and Ortiz, but adding Alfonzo and Bell, a full season out of Durham, and Schmidt set to break out this year will keep them in the pennant chase until the end.

NL MVP: Bonds again
NL CY: Johnson again
NL ROY: Endy Chavez

Wild Card: Giants
Pennant: Giants

AL picks later...

Edited By Sir O on 1048188496

- AdolescentMasturbator - 03-20-2003

Other fantasy sleepers are Braden Looper, Aaron Cook, Derrek Lee and Damian Moss.

- Keyser Soze - 03-20-2003

Arpi, i wasn't going for unknowns, i was saying many of them would have bounce back years.

- criticslovesnatch - 03-22-2003

I'm still curious what color the sky is in keyser's world after those picks.

- Keyser Soze - 03-22-2003

Like anyone figured Anaheim would win the World Series. Logic goes right out the window. I picked my teams based on mojo.

- Galt - 03-22-2003

step the fuck up Sir O. finish it

- criticslovesnatch - 03-22-2003

too bad the mets are fresh out of mojo :lol:

- PeterDragon - 03-23-2003

but don't forget "Mr. Mojo's risin' "

Mets may be underdogs, but it is not ridiculous. Braves & Phillies have as many question marks.
Are Mets favorites? no - but they have the talent to win.

:p

- Galt - 03-31-2003

Sir O never finished his predictions.

I predict that Barry Bonds will hit a homerun on April 11 against the Dodgers

- Arpikarhu - 03-31-2003

i predict the world series winner will come from either the american or national leagues.
i will go out on a limb and predict the world series winner will have scored more runs in the final game than its opponent.

- diceisgod - 03-31-2003

I predict that there will be no World Series because of World War 3. Arod will get drafted and return in three years to hit 50+ homeruns. But we'll all be dead so we won't get to see it.

- Keyser Soze - 03-31-2003

MVP, Most Vindictive Palestinian: Yassar Arafat