CDIH
Game on! - The nhl returns.... - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Game on! - The nhl returns.... (/showthread.php?tid=586)

- Sean Cold - 02-26-2002

Quote:Olympic foes once again NHL teammates

NHL players have one grueling tournament behind them. Another looms seven weeks from now.

The NHL regular season resumes after a 12-day break with 13 games tonight, with five more to follow Wednesday.

The Stanley Cup playoffs begin on April 17, and there is little rest for the NHL Olympians who spent nearly two weeks fighting for three medals.

Canada, the United States and Russia finished 1-2-3 in the Salt Lake City Games, but now, many players on those teams must resume competing for an NHL postseason berth just two days after the Olympic championship game.

Tuesday's highlight is the matchup between the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils.

It is not yet known whether Team Canada goalie Martin Brodeur will start for the Devils or if Team USA goalie Mike Richter will play for the Rangers. But the game will still feature plenty of Olympians -- including five others who played Sunday.

The Rangers lean heavily on stars Eric Lindros and Theo Fleury, who helped win gold for Canada, as well as silver medalists Brian Leetch and Mike York.

The Devils will likely play Brian Rafalski -- who scored for Team USA on Sunday -- in hopes he can help New Jersey make it out of Madison Square Garden with a victory.

Team Canada teammates Jarome Iginla and Joe Sakic both scored twice in the 5-2 victory over the United States, but will quickly become opponents when Calgary plays in Colorado.

The Flames' Iginla leads the NHL scoring race with 64 points. Colorado's Sakic, the Olympic tournament MVP, is eighth in the scoring race with 56 points.

Also Tuesday, Detroit heads to Tampa Bay, where goalie Dominik Hasek, who backstopped the Czech Republic in the Olympics, could face bronze medalist Nikolai Khabibulin, the Russian goalie.

In other games, Florida plays in Washington, Boston visits the New York Islanders, Los Angeles travels to Columbus, Chicago plays in Philadelphia, Buffalo heads south to play Atlanta, Ottawa heads to Montreal, Carolina plays in Toronto, San Jose is in Nashville, Dallas is in Phoenix and St. Louis plays at Vancouver.

The Stars, locked in a tie for eighth with Vancouver and with their first five games against teams trying to secure Western Conference playoff berths, have five Olympians, including Canadians Ed Belfour and Joe Nieuwendyk and American Mike Modano.

"It would be nice to think they would have a little bit of time to breathe," Stars coach Rick Wilson told The Dallas Morning News. "But we don't have that luxury. We need them and we need them in impact fashion right off the bat.

"They're coming off a tremendous emotional intensity. Will they be able to jump back with the same focus and emotional passion that we were seeing before the break? We're hopeful. We need it."

For Nieuwendyk, memories of Salt Lake City are separate from winning the Stanley Cup in 1999 with the Stars and being named the Conn Smythe Trophy winner.

"This is a different feeling," he said. "When the whole country is watching. It's a special feeling of pride."

Modano said he understood Team Canada's relief.

"There's certainly a lot more pressure on them than there is on us," the Dallas center said. "Their whole country talked about this thing for the last year."

After Tuesday night's heavy schedule, the Kings, Red Wings, Flyers, Devils, Canadiens and Blackhawks play again Wednesday night.

League general managers will also get busy, trying to improve their teams by the March 19 trading deadline.

The race for playoff spots is particularly tight in the East, where Philly and Boston are tied atop the conference with 75 points. Three other teams -- Toronto, Ottawa and the Islanders -- are within eight points of the leaders.

In the West, the Red Wings are still the clear leaders with a 15-point cushion over the second-place team -- Chicago -- and a 17-point edge on Colorado.

Yet, with 11 Olympians and several key players over 35, the Red Wings could tire in the final weeks, setting both conference races up for exciting finishes.

But a good sign for Detroit came shortly after Canada's win in Sunday's gold medal game. Just after the medal presentation, Canadians Steve Yzerman and Brendan Shanahan and Americans Chris Chelios and Brett Hull came together to pose for a picture and to talk.

"The game is over and the four Detroit Red Wings get together at center ice for a picture," Detroit general manager Ken Holland said. "That tells you something."

Ahhhh, the return of hockey is tonight and what a game to kick it off with the Rangers vs the Devils. Granted, it is quite possible niether Richter or Brodeur will be between the pipes tonight, it should still be a good game. It will be a little strange because I am going to the game and I have not an ounce of love for Lindros or Fluery right now. I am sure when the puck drops, that will change.

Who do you think is going to still be playing come April 17th? Do the Rangers and Devils have a chance? Can the Islanders finish strong? Who will win the President's trophey?

I think in the East, the team to watch may be Washington. The Caps are 5 points out of the final playoff spot and if that cunt Jagr stays healthy and actually lives up to his own standards, barring a trade, they could make things rather intresting.

Detroit just seems to be running away with the Presidents trophey at this point. Colorodo and San Jose are in a heated race for second in the confrence. If San Jose does pull a trade off, they could be dangerous. Calgary is my team to watch in the west.

- Gooch - 02-26-2002

You going too?

yeah...beezer vs. blackburn. and those who didn't play in the olympics may be a wee bit rusty. could be a sloppy game.

- Francine Banger - 02-26-2002

This is not a game to just take lightly because its the first game back. It is a HUGE game. I want Richter in goal, No excuses. Play the game and then Blackburn can play Thursday against Ottawa, so Richter will be ready for the Flyers on Saturday.

And Ill believe that Vanbiesbrouk is playing when I see it. Brodeur has played 52 straight games against the Rangers, and unlike the Islanders where a backup goaltender is facing them every night, the Rangers never get that lucky.
We shall see.

- LZMF1 - 02-27-2002

GOMEZ SCORES!!!!!!

sean, i know we agreed not to talk shit but i had to say that!

Edited By LZMF1 on Feb. 26 2002 at 9:16

- Maximus - 02-27-2002

The Islanders will definitely finish strong as long as everyone stays healthy and eventhough I'm a Devils fan as well, I think they should just try to finish strong but not try to get in the playoffs. If they get in the playoffs as a result of playing strongly then so be it.

- Francine Banger - 02-27-2002

What a shock Brodeur played against the Rangers. Was there ever any doubt?

If Brodeur got into a car accident the night before and needed to have his left leg amputated, I still think he'd hop out on one leg and would be in goal to face the Rangers.

And I applaud him for that coming from a Ranger fan. Thats what a winner is all about. he wants to play in the big games? Where was Mike Ricther? Oh he needed rest, even though Brodeur played in more games during the olympics, and brodeur has played just about every game the Devils have played in this year.

Now by not playing Richter here, now Richter will play Thursday and will get very little rest for the Saturday Afternoon game against Philly which follows the Thursday Night game against Ottawa. Very smart planning by Ron Low and Mike Richter. I love to see how they give it their all to win these huge important games.

Im sickened by this team again.

- DGW - 02-27-2002

Cujo done for 8 weeks with a broken hand.

- Gooch - 02-27-2002

meanwhile Fleuery is having another meltdown, threatening to retire b/c he gets no respect. Who is he, Rodney?! The guy would get respect if he played like less of a buffoon. You earn respect, and his antics only prove why he perceives he gets none.

- AFDude - 02-27-2002

I'm just enjoying the season the Bruins are having, even if they did trade Allison away...it's only a matter of time before some of the other guys (Samsonov,Joe Thornton) ask for more money and the cheap ass owners trade them or let them go..

- Maximus - 02-27-2002

Poor poor Fleuery, gets no respect Sad damn guy is pathetic. If he don't like the the way things are going, then maybe he should either try to fix it by playing differently, or leave the league.