CDIH
Downloading current movies - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Downloading current movies (/showthread.php?tid=6072)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- Teenweek - 04-14-2003

I use kazaa to download music. Recently I have started downloading movies. I am a big movie person and my wife and I always like to go on opening weekend when something interesting or a big movie comes out. However now with the baby, me going to the movies is not going to happen as often if at all. Especially now with summer coming, I really need to see these movies.

Ok, I know this was semi-covered when I asked a question about downloading full albums and whackbag mentioned irc. I do not understand how to use that. I have had great success in downloading movies that have been out a while. I downloaded 25th hour, jackass, bringing down the house (has japanese subtitles), old school, head of state. I also downloaded Phone Booth 2 days before it came out. For example, a couple parts in Phone Booth, the video stopped but the audio continued. For the first 50 minutes no problems and than a period of 10 minutes had video problems. Also you see distortion for a second or 2. Otherwise it was great.

My main problem lies with new releases. I tried downloading A Man Apart and Anger Management. No luck. One of the things is it could be another movie, like for Anger Management I got About Schmidt. The other thing is I download it and the screen is blank and no audio plays. I tried downloading anger management 5 times this weekend and nothing. I think it mentions something about codecs. I try downloading from quicktime and the download fails.

What do I have to do to make sure the video I am downloading is the one I get. Also that the video is not extremely bad like a problem I had downloading shanghai knights. It was obvious it was from a camcorder in a movie theater as the audio was awful, I heard people talking and laughing in the background.

If IRC or something is better, than can you explain to me how to do it.

I have not tried this site yet but I heard it could help.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ddsimoes.hpg.ig.com.br/kpe/index.htm">http://www.ddsimoes.hpg.ig.com.br/kpe/index.htm</a><!-- m -->

Also with Kazaa, what the Hell is with that integrity rating. Everyday I build it up and everyday it comes right back down.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 04-14-2003

if you are having a hardtime with irc, just use newsgroups

who is your ISP?

- Teenweek - 04-14-2003

I tried newsgroups. I get confused using it and was never really able to find what I was looking for.

what confused you about them?

each movie has either 2 or 3 discs, each disc has about between 30-50 .rar files, you download all the rar files, if some are missing, you request them and someone posts them

- Keyser Soze - 04-14-2003

trying cutting and pasting the files together.

- Goatweed - 04-14-2003

firstly, if you're gonna use Kazaa, get yourself this copy of Kazaalite. It's better than real Kazaa in that there's no real spyware and this version has the integrity crack that always keeps you at 1000 (even if you don't share any files). The higher rating supposedly gets you faster access to the file(s) you're looking for. It seems a little faster for me, but I only use Kazaa when I can't find a particular song or album on Direct Connect. If you install this version, just make sure to completely uninstall the original version (to get rid of the spyware).

As for codecs, it's tricky. I upgraded to Media Player 9 and while I can watch more .avi files trouble free, I still get the occasional clip that won't work. if you download Divx, you can use their player but it only works with Divx files. I've found VLC to be a pretty solid player - if this doesn't play your file, most nothing else will.

Now downloading movies from Kazaa and verifying their integrity is tricky. If the movie you're downloading is a .MPG file, while you are downloading it you can go to the folder where your downloaded files go, right click on the .dat file (it wont list as .MPG until its complete), select copy and go to your desktop (or wherever) and do a paste [like I need to tell you how to c&p]. Anyway, rename the extension on your pated file to .MPG and play it - you'll now see the file you are downloading. This doesn't work with .AVI files (at least it hasn't ever for me). The version of KL I linked to above has a preview feature that is supposed to do all of this for you and in a much nicer way (for all files) but I haven't been able to get it to work for whatever reason.

IRC is still a little confusing to me, but my main issue is I never know what good channels to go to for what I'm looking for.

using kazaa for movies is like fucking an ugly prostitute, sure you are getting what you want, but the quality is going to suck

what are some good newsgroups for new movies?

- Teenweek - 04-14-2003

Goatweed. I currently have an older version of kazaalite and the kazaa media destop. Delete both of them or just media desktop. I don't want to delete the video and music files I downloaded.

Whackbag, I get confused when I get there. I don't know how to look for what I want. Also do you have the url again. You seem to be one of the few people who use newsgroups, maybe you can post a tutorial for it.

alt.binaries.vcd has all the new releases

oh, i dont use newsgroups to download movies

but i know its possible to do

- Teenweek - 04-14-2003

so what is the best and easiest way to do it.

freeagent is a good newsreader app for newbies.

NONONONONOONO!

newsbin

- Goatweed - 04-14-2003

Quote:I currently have an older version of kazaalite and the kazaa media desktop. Delete both of them or just media desktop. I don't want to delete the video and music files I downloaded.

Definitely remove the real Kazaa, and though the version I linked says you can install it over prior KL versions, I would remove your older one also. Another smart thing to do would be to download AdAware and run it AFTER you remove both versions of Kazaa & KL that you have. I think the older version of Kazaa left the Cydoor spyware file in your registry even if you removed Kazaa - anyway, if it's there AdAware will pick it up - have it remove this. Then install the new KL, make sure it runs, shut it down and rerun AdAware - it should pick up the Cydoor client again, but this is the dummy spyware file - just add it and any reference of it to AdAwares ignore list. If you ever remove this file, KL will not work anymore.

As for losing your downloaded files, when you remove the apps the files should remain - but to be safe, copy the files to another folder, like on your desktop and remove the apps - if for whatever reason they disappear, you've made backups to just replace them in your Shared folder or whatever folder you use.

- Teenweek - 04-14-2003

nice :toast:

- Goatweed - 04-14-2003

Quote:NONONONONOONO!

newsbin

Newsbin is really good, and easy to use - just hope that the newsgroup you're in has all of the required files (i.e., .RAR files).

- Teenweek - 04-14-2003

what is the website for newsbin

and if they dont, u can just request it in the newsgroup and someone will post it, or you can IM me and see if i have it, i usually will

whats your email address, ill send u a cracked version