CDIH
Movies that you hated and everyone else loved! - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Movies that you hated and everyone else loved! (/showthread.php?tid=653)

Pages: 1 2 3

- GonzoStyle - 03-02-2002

Ever hear so much about a movie, so much critical acclaim. Then you finally go to see it or buy the DVD or VHS cause you think it's a keeper. Then you finish the movie and think to yourself "what the fuck was that?" Then you wanna beat the fuck into everyone who called it a great movie.

I know Ikea is gonna be pissed but,

Blade Runner: It was in my opinion an incoherent mess, with nothing to take you into the story. It was boring.

Fargo - I don't get it man, what the fuck was so spectacular here? The accents? Anyone?

O Brother, Where Art Thou? was so lame and boring, and George Clooney is not a Coen actor. There was no interesting material in the movie, it was predictable.

- Gooch - 03-02-2002

Quote:Fargo - I don't get it man, what the fuck was so spectacular here? The accents? Anyone?

O Brother, Where Art Thou? was so lame and boring, and George Clooney is not a Coen actor. There was no interesting material in the movie, it was predictable.

I completely agree. And Miller's Crossing & Barton Fink are one of my favorite movies.

For me, also:

Titus: Hopkins and Jessica Lange in a complete and utter mess of a play made into a movie.

Hannibal: Ruined what was a not bad book sequel by not picking up on Hannibles history, which makes the ending actually make some fuckin sense

Willow: Was considered the NEXT Star Wars when is came out, and I hated every moment of a subpar fantasy movie that was completely formula, and the first indication that Lucas lost his mind.

Millers Crossing is still my favorite Coen bros. movie, Gabriel Byrne & Albert Finney gave an oscar worthy performance if ever I seen one.

- WhipThisFez - 03-02-2002

In contrast with everyone here, I really didn't like Birth of a Nation.

- IkeaBoy - 03-02-2002

I've loved those three movies. I hate you dad!!

But yeah, my favorite Coen Brothers movie has to be Barton Fink. "Wallace Beery...wrestling picture, what do you need a road map?"

Hannibal I liked as a campy, cheesy movie with no seriousness about it. I'm actually happy they took out the childhood/past of Hannibal. I don't watn to know what made him into a serial killer- giving reason to him would have taken away the allure of him.

The Sixth Sense
Titanic
ET
Saving Private Ryan- awesome opening, rest of the movie BLEW

You aren't my son till you stop being such a depressing fuck and show your father some love.

I will damn sure agree on Sixth Sense, great ending but 10 minutes or so doesn't make a movie.

Goin a little old school now:

Gone With The Wind - Long, boring, and EXTREMELY pointless. Clark gable's performance was phenominal and it's a good movie but nothing more than a decent little classic.

Ben-Hur - Same as GWTW too long, but still a good movie but not that great.

American Beauty - One man's character no matter how well played can not make a movie. Way way overrated, too many stereotypes, unsympathetic characters, cliches, and some over-acting

Doctor Zhivago - It's okay, beautiful to look at, emotionally empty

An American In Paris - A collection of wonderful Gershwin songs and mesmerizing Gene Kelly dances in search of an interesting plot.

- IkeaBoy - 03-02-2002

GonzoStyle Wrote:American Beauty - One man's character no matter how well played can not make a movie. Way way overrated, too many stereotypes, unsympathetic characters, cliches, and some over-acting
I totally agree with this one. Kevin Spacey gave a PHENOMENOL performance but the rest of the movie was very hollow and some parts were downright stupid (e.g. rolling a joint --> blow job). Most of the characters were stereotypes and you couldn't get inot them at all. However I will say as far as newcomers go, Wes Bentley impressed me even if most of his dialogue was incredibly stupid.

IkeaBoy Wrote:Wes Bentley impressed me even if most of his dialogue was incredibly stupid.
Cause if his character was played by Jim backus, you'd finally be able to see yourself and your life on film.

- IkeaBoy - 03-02-2002

The Water Boy and Big Daddy. I am not a huge Anti-Sandler person, in fact I think Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore are some of the best stupid comedies I've ever seen. But these two movies were AWFUL yet they were the most popular and made the most money of his films. The Waterboy was just lame, I'm sorry. I saw it in theaters- thoroughly unimpressed, hardly laughed and when I saw it again to see the Star Wars trailer I fell asleep. Big Daddy had funny moments -Steve Buscemi because Buscemi always rocks and Rob Schneider but most of the movie was Kid Acting Cute. YOu know what I mean with that. Kid mispronounces a word- you laugh and say "oh how cute." Kid talks about wiping himself - you laugh because it's "oh how cute."

I recorded GWTW but never watched it yet.

- The Sleeper - 03-02-2002

Silence of the Lambs - Psychological thrillers do nothing for me

The Matrix - Boring characters, and by the time they got to the so-called spectacular action sequences, I had lost all interest.

Lawrence of Arabia - Just found it overly long and I'm not into war epics to begin with.

Star Wars & Return of the Jedi - I liked Empire, but I honestly don't get the whole obsession with this series. It's a bunch of sci-fi fluff.

- IkeaBoy - 03-02-2002

The Sleeper Wrote:The Matrix - Boring characters, and by the time they got to the so-called spectacular action sequences, I had lost all interest.
Another one I forgot. It was undoubtedly a BAD MOVIE. The script was lame, the sequences were lame, the characters were lame. It couldn't end quick enough for me. Their "is this the spoon" philosophy wasn't interesting at all. It pretended to be deep when really it wasn't.

Gladiator- What's the fucking appeal? It was directed a bit awkwardly, the characters were cutouts, and the colusium sequences did nothing for me. How the fuck did this win such acclaim by critics and audienecs.

Waking Life- want to see a pretentious movie that is nothing but cliff notes philosophy under the guise that if you don't get it you're too unenlightended and stupid to get it? That's Waking Life. There was a point I was hoping that it was a satire but alas that never came true. I'm not saying all the philosophy was lame, some of it was somewhat interesting but on a whole I wanted to fling myself off the balcony to make sure I was still alive.

And from the Oscars this year (gih gih gih)- Gosford park. What an awful, unappealing boring movie. It was a soap opera without any appeal. It stinks.

- Keyser Soze - 03-02-2002

Titanic - fucking movie sucks, i have yet to been able to sit through the whole mess.

Dances With Wolves - Waterworld was better than this snoozefest, now Last Of The Mohicans, thats a great American Indian movie. Just another white man trying to butt in on the glory of another race.

Memento - gimmick movie. sure it was a cool idea, but fucking impossible to follow and even after you figure out whats going on, its not all that rewarding.

- Sean Cold - 03-02-2002

Scarface: In it's day it rocked but watching it a couple of days ago made me sick. It just doesn't stand the test of time.

Star Trek (all except 2): I just can't fuckin stand them.

- Luna - 03-02-2002

Keyser Soze Wrote:Dances With Wolves - Waterworld was better than this snoozefest, now Last Of The Mohicans, thats a great American Indian movie. Just another white man trying to butt in on the glory of another race.
Actually, I really love that movie. I have yet to sit through the Last of the Mohicans, tho.

American Pie - Maybe it was a slow start, but, I turned it off, I thought it was kind of lame.

Quote:Scarface: In it's day it rocked but watching it a couple of days ago made me sick. It just doesn't stand the test of time.

You so just used up your get out of jail free card with me, lol.

English Patient - What the fuck happened here? Then again what did the academy have to work with that year?

- PatCooper - 03-02-2002

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
The Abyss (I like Ed Harris but this movie was moronic. I dont get the whole alien under the sea shit.)

- Sir O - 03-02-2002

GonzoStyle Wrote:O Brother, Where Art Thou? was so lame and boring, and George Clooney is not a Coen actor. There was no interesting material in the movie, it was predictable.
[jedi mind trick]You love the O Brother[/jedi mind trick]

Agreeing with some other picks...

Gladiator - What a fucking boring shitfest. Braveheart was a good movie, and this was but a poor imitation with a different setting.

Matrix - The Thirteenth Floor was a better film.

Titanic - Still never watched the whole movie straight through, but what I've seen of it was extremely unimpressive. Stupid kids and their stupid movies...

and my additions...

Lord of the Rings - Sure, it was a good movie. But that's it, just a good movie, and one with many flaws. I could go on and on picking apart the little things that pissed me off about this, but suffice it to say, it was a huge disappointment.

Terminator 2 - I hated Ahnold before hating Ahnold became the norm. A poor sequel, and the brilliant-for-the-time special effects couldn't polish this turd enough for me.

American Pie - As far as comedies go, I thought this was pretty run of the mill. The scene with Shannon Elizabeth and the webcast was brilliant, but the rest of the movie was too dopey. Fucking a pie is stupid, I still don't see the big deal about this one.

Toy Story, Toy Story 2 - Maybe I need to find my inner child or some such nonsense.

Sir O Wrote:
GonzoStyle Wrote:O Brother, Where Art Thou? was so lame and boring, and George Clooney is not a Coen actor. There was no interesting material in the movie, it was predictable.
[jedi mind trick]You love the O Brother[/jedi mind trick]
Plus I hated the fuckin soundtrack, who the fuck kept on buying that soundtrack to keep it at #1.

- Mr. Brownstone - 03-02-2002

Quote:Gladiator- What's the fucking appeal? It was directed a bit awkwardly, the characters were cutouts, and the colusium sequences did nothing for me. How the fuck did this win such acclaim by critics and audienecs.
Thank you, I thought that it flat out sucked, shitty plot, boring charcters, lame dialouge, fake looking effects, etc

Quote:Waking Life- want to see a pretentious movie that is nothing but cliff notes philosophy under the guise that if you don't get it you're too unenlightended and stupid to get it? That's Waking Life. There was a point I was hoping that it was a satire but alas that never came true. I'm not saying all the philosophy was lame, some of it was somewhat interesting but on a whole I wanted to fling myself off the balcony to make sure I was still alive.
I disagree. The animation alone was worth the price of the ticket. The dialouge was interesting, and it got me interested enough in lucid dreaming to the point where I've had a bit of success with it.

- Sir O - 03-02-2002

GonzoStyle Wrote:Plus I hated the fuckin soundtrack, who the fuck kept on buying that soundtrack to keep it at #1.
I loved the soundtrack, until the rest of the world found out about it. Now, I can't even listen to it.

But the movie still rocks though. The Coen brothers adapting The Odyssey in a 1930's setting has to be one of the best premises ever for a film, Clooney probably gave the best performance of his career in that movie, and considering the sea of awfulness that Hollywood has been passing off as films lately, it's one of the best of the past 2 years.

But I will agree, it's not the Coens' best work. That would be Miller's Crossing.