CDIH
Networking 2 PC's - I thought it was supposed to be easy... - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Networking 2 PC's - I thought it was supposed to be easy... (/showthread.php?tid=6670)

- Goatweed - 06-23-2003

the equipment :

1 Dell Dimension 8300, P4 2.66, running XP Pro (legal)

1 Dell Dimension XPR400, P3 1 Ghz, running XP Pro (downloaded corp. ISO)

1 17" Trinitron Monitor
1 Keyboard
1 Mouse

So, I wanna link the two PC's so that if I'm on the new machine, I can access the drives on the old machine - I research, I ask around and I'm told it's simple - get a Network Crossover Cable. I do that, but nothing happens. I'm told XP should see the other computer - it doesn't. Then I'm told I might need to have a monitor and keyboard/mouse on the other PC as well to set it up as part of a network which is fine, but not only did it not work, to have to swap the cables every time seems to be a pain in the ass to me.

I see in the CompUSA flyer this weekend there's something called a switch box that lets you use 2 different PC's using 1 monitor, mouse and keyboard - it's $50 and seems to be the answer to my problem, but it doesn't say whether or not it will let me access the machines at the same time.

My question - how the fuck can I do this without getting crazy? I've thought about getting a router since I have Xbox and PS2 online, and that would make it easier for me to use those as well (currently with Roadrunner, I switch the RJ45 feed from the PC to the console of choice, but I have to unplug/replugin the modem to reset it so the console can read the DNS, IP address, etc. to work). Would a router allow me access to the other PC?

As to why I wanna do this : The new PC came with a 60 gig drive, I've since installed a 120 gig drive in it, and I don't wanna use another PCI slot for a promise card to install the other 2 drives from my old PC - plus there's just not enough room in the case for all these drives. I figure I'll use the old PC as data storage for my music, movies, maybe even try to set is up as an FTP server.

- HedCold - 06-23-2003

are the folders set to "share" on the other computer?

- Goatweed - 06-23-2003

which folders? Probably not.

- HedCold - 06-23-2003

just right click on the folder in explorer and change the sharing properies. also you could change your computer name to something easy, so when you go in explorer you can just type \\computername and everything shared on the computer should come up
you'll probably also have to change the user setup so anyone can access the folder and its not password protected

- Goatweed - 06-23-2003

thats the thing - I dont want to share just a few folders, I want to be able to access both of the old drives on my old pc through the new PC - as it is, Ive got a bunch or programs and shit on the old machine, but if I can access the drives, I'll delete everything, format both drives and use it for storage.

I wouldnt be able to just right click on the drive and allow sharing, would I? Also, with the cable connected I ran the network wizard to see if it even saw the pc but it didnt.

Would I be able to do this easier with a router? I just wanna be able to do shit from one PC without having to switch cables.

- Weird NJ - 06-23-2003

Networking with windows is definetely going downhill. I have my own problems with it. Here's a couple tips:

-Use a crossover cable if you are only networking 2 computers straight to each other.
-If you use a router, switch, hub or whatever else, use straight cables from each computer into the hub.
-Run Start Menu>Programs>Accessories>Communications>Network Setup Wizard on each networked computer and follow the directions. But be careful what options you click becuase you won't configure it right.
-If you run that wizard, it might turn on Microsoft's firewall on your network card's connection which will probably block the abilty to share files and internet connections. Right-click Network connections and select Properties. Then go to the advanced properties of your network card's connection (probably called Local Area Connection) to turn this off.
-You can share drives by right clicking them and going to properties. Then click the sharing tab and also the waring text about sharing a drive. Continue to enter the share information. Don't check off "Make folder private"
-When you plug network cables in, check to see if the green and yellow lights go on the back of the NICs. If they don't your Network card might be disabled. Go enable it in the system properties.

Networking sucks.. doesn't it? :21:

- Goatweed - 06-23-2003

Quote:-Use a crossover cable if you are only networking 2 computers straight to each other.
done - and both Nic's are working, but I can't seem to make it work.
Quote:-If you use a router, switch, hub or whatever else, use straight cables from each computer into the hub.
I figured I might wanna go with a router so I can jack-up the Xbox and PS2 on my cable feed without switching cables, as well as give me access to the old pc (and give the old PC net access, in case the new one goes down for some reason)
Quote:-Run Start Menu>Programs>Accessories>Communications>Network Setup Wizard on each networked computer and follow the directions. But be careful what options you click becuase you won't configure it right.
I only did this on the new machine, and when I did it it couldn't find any network other than what was there already (my ISP). I didnt wannt do it on the old machine, in fear of fucking it up.
Quote:-If you run that wizard, it might turn on Microsoft's firewall on your network card's connection which will probably block the abilty to share files and internet connections. Right-click Network connections and select Properties. Then go to the advanced properties of your network card's connection (probably called Local Area Connection) to turn this off.
I don't recall it doing this, but I'll be sure to check if/when I can get this done successfully.
Quote:-You can share drives by right clicking them and going to properties. Then click the sharing tab and also the waring text about sharing a drive. Continue to enter the share information. Don't check off "Make folder private"
maybe this is what I'm missing, I know I didn't do this - I assume I would only do this on the old machine that I want to access and NOT the new machine.
Quote:-When you plug network cables in, check to see if the green and yellow lights go on the back of the NICs. If they don't your Network card might be disabled. Go enable it in the system properties.
Nope, theyre both enabled. As a side note, the new machine came with an on-board LAN port, but it doesn't work. The lights are on and flickering, but I couldn't get it to work, so I slapped in a NIC which works fine. As for connecting the machines with the crossover cable, I tried both NIC ports and neither worked for that.

- HedCold - 06-23-2003

yea you should be able to share the whole drive

on win2k this stuff is easy

- Goatweed - 06-23-2003

yeah, but Win2K sucks for gaming.

- Weird NJ - 06-23-2003

Quote:I only did this on the new machine, and when I did it it couldn't find any network other than what was there already (my ISP). I didnt wannt do it on the old machine, in fear of fucking it up.
I would tell you to go into BIOS and enable the onboard NIC but if the lights are flickering it should already be on. Maybe you should reinstall or look for an update for the driver. Maybe even go to Dell's site and search an FAQ. If the card is working then you should at least see the connection in Network Connections. Otherwise something is real screwy.

- Mad - 06-23-2003

This place is very helpful with Networking questions.

- Goatweed - 06-23-2003

yeah, I think it just needs new drivers, I was gonna make a big deal out of it but I had a brand new NIC doing nothing, so I slapped it in. Once I get the networking thing resolved I'm gonna work on the LAN port - right now, it's not a big deal - just weird.

- QuickStop - 06-24-2003

i have a linksys router and 2 pcs running legal xp and this took me 5 seconds. all you have to do is the folder sharing and run a little networking thing that xp has in the side window when you click my computer

- onehung - 06-25-2003

Quote:yeah, but Win2K sucks for gaming.
How so? Splain please.

- Goatweed - 06-25-2003

well of course now that I say that, Tom's Hardware says that Win 2k is not only good for games, but it's equal to XP. Funny, I distictly recall reading and hearing from several people that Win 2K was geared specifically for an office environment, while XP would be for the home user (and XP Pro being for the Home Office user). I know the legacy factor in gaming on both of these OS's has been fixed, and ATI had also fixed the 60 Hz factor that's a problem in both (I was using reforce but Enter the Matrix wouldn't run with it enabled for some reason - the semi-newest cat drivers fixed it though).

Either way, I stand by what I heard - though it was a while ago, and it's not like I look to change OS's like I change vid boards so if it's gotten better, good for them.

- HedCold - 06-25-2003

i was reading something yesterday on hyperthreading that its supported by win xp and not really by win2k, so that helps it in gaming, but thats more on the newer processors

- onehung - 06-25-2003

Quote:Either way, I stand by what I heard
Don't believe everything jgnyc says. I've used win2k for the last couple of years, without a problem. :5:

- Goatweed - 06-25-2003

Quote:Don't believe everything jgnyc says

it wasn't him - I read it at Tom's actually, I think.