CDIH
I think I broke it. :( - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: I think I broke it. :( (/showthread.php?tid=6675)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Danked - 06-24-2003

This is the message I receive when I restart my computer...
Quote:Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system.

DETAIL - The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the specified file is not in a registry file format.
I'm pretty sure that what I did was accidently skip the registration process when I first received my new computer. I was still using my old dimly-lit monitor and after I filled out the Windows registration, I accidently clicked Skip rather than Next. I couldn't really see either button clearly and clicked the wrong one. As a result, I'm having trouble networking my computer properly, seeing as how I don't have a recognized user profile.

Help... :9:

- Jack - 06-24-2003

Restore your system to its factory settings...
You should have received a disk when you ordered your system to do this.

What has happened is that your Operating System has become corrupt. Most likely the registry has become corrupt. The only way to fix is format and re-install/restore.

- Goatweed - 06-24-2003

can you get into windows at all?

Quote:Restore your system to its factory settings...

What has happened is that your Operating System has become corrupt. Most likely the registry has become corrupt. The only way to fix is format and re-install/restore

NO!!!

Google pointed me here and even though its a win 2000 issue on the page, someone had the problem under XP.

Quote:Aha I found out what file was causing the problem, UsrClass.dat, and I found it residing here.

C:\Documents and Settings\"CurrentUser"\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

I moved the file and when I logged back in the file was recreated and this eliminated the loggin Error I was getting. Now we know there are two user files Win 2000 loads into the registry. Cool. :>)

The Crazy One

Comment from xenon2000 Date: 03/25/2003 08:41AM PST
Thanks!!!! I had this exact same issue on XP and your solution of deleting the UsrClass.dat file worked perfectly!!!! Great solution!

I would copy it elsewhere on the drive first before deleting it though, in case it doesnt work you can put it back. I would try the above before you format and reinstall the OS.

Edited By goatweed on 1056418885

- Danked - 06-24-2003

:5:

- Goatweed - 06-24-2003

Quote:What has happened is that your Operating System has become corrupt. Most likely the registry has become corrupt. The only way to fix is format and re-install/restore

pffft! Or you could just Google the error message and (chances are) you'll get an easier answer.

- Jack - 06-24-2003

Thats just a generic reply. I got used to telling the customers that as the tech manager. Undecided

- crx girl - 06-24-2003

if danked's problem is solved, can we get to work on crack's?

his imesh was acting weird so he uninstalled and reinstalled it and everything seemed fine until he tried to access his folder on it, he got an error message. now when you try to open ie, or some other programs he gets an error saying windows explorer is not working. aim works, but he can't even get into "my computer" he just gets the error message instead. anyone got any ideas?

- HedCold - 06-24-2003

i heard there was a virus going around those programs...

- Goatweed - 06-24-2003

Trish, if you could post the actual error message it would be helpful, but I do know that Explorer issues such as this are generally not good - and might require a full format/OS reinstall (there ya go, Jack).

- Jack - 06-24-2003

Jack Wrote:Restore your system to its factory settings...

What has happened is that your Operating System has become corrupt. Most likely the registry has become corrupt. The only way to fix is format and re-install/restore.
Read above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

- Goatweed - 06-24-2003

hey jack, my mousewheel suddenly stopped working - what should I do?

- Jack - 06-24-2003

Get a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol. Open the mouse and use the swab to format and reinstall the wheel.

- LyricalGomez - 06-24-2003

Why in god's name would anyone use Imesh?

- Goatweed - 06-24-2003

too late jack, I ended up reformatting and reinstalling Windows - all's well now :lol:

- GonzoStyle - 06-24-2003

I have some dust on my monitor, what should I do?

- Jack - 06-24-2003

Stop smoking.

Stop breathing you fuckin demon!!!!

- Goatweed - 06-24-2003

you really shouldn't smoke near the computer - it can fuck it up, actually - and give it cancer.

I said it's dust, I didn't say my comp screen is yellow from the tar. What the fuck does smokin near the fuckin comp have to do with dust? Like non-smokers have dust free houses... do they?

- LyricalGomez - 06-24-2003

That's exactly right :5: