CDIH
...Soccer - How come America could care less? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: ...Soccer - How come America could care less? (/showthread.php?tid=7032)

Pages: 1 2 3

- The Jays - 08-01-2003

So, the supposed biggest sports franchise in the world, Manchester United, played a soccer game at the Meadowlands tonight and won. Yeah, whoopy.

Now, the only thing I know about this team is that David Beckham used to play for them until he was recently traded to Real Madrid. And the only reason I know who David Beckham is is because he's married to Victoria Beckham, aka Posh Spice.

Why boggles my mind is, how is soccer the biggest sport in the world? What makes it so popular in every other country, but in America, it is so brutally boring to watch? I gain no enjoyment from watching this sport. Am I missing something? Am I just not worldly enough? The stadium for this game was apparently packed, but the images they showed seemed to be the same Mexicans that I see playing soccer at the park every day. What is so fucking great about this sport?

- Velociti - 08-01-2003

limeys are easily amused

- Galt - 08-01-2003

Do you watch car racing?

If you do, the hilarity of this hypocrisy shant be missed.

If you don't, I just farted.

- crx girl - 08-01-2003

Velociti Wrote:limeys are easily amused
:35: we are not

:twak: :21: :lol:

- The Jays - 08-01-2003

1) Car racing is just as exciting to me as soccer.

2) I acknowledge that soccer is at least a sport, one that does require tremendous athletic ability. I cannot say the same for car racing.

- Galt - 08-01-2003

by the way, America couldn't care less about soccer<font color=white>

Edited By Galt on 1059710304

- The Jays - 08-01-2003

Quote:we are not

See:
Mr. Bean
Keeping Up Appearences
Fawlty Towers

- Sir O - 08-01-2003

So you're saying American sitcoms are better than Mr. Bean?

- Galt - 08-01-2003

Seinfeld.

Game over.

- QuickStop - 08-01-2003

Quote:Do you watch car racing?

If you do, the hilarity of this hypocrisy shant be missed.
you're probably referring to NASCAR, which i find to be retarded, but formula 1 racing is one of the biggest sports in the world, and Michael Schumacher is one of the, if not the richest athlete in the world.

Quote:I acknowledge that soccer is at least a sport, one that does require tremendous athletic ability. I cannot say the same for car racing.
Someone such as michael schumacher, who is the best in the world at being able to handle an automobile at fucking ridiculous speeds for hours on end, is just as much an athlete as a soccer player.

P.S. i dont get soccer either. It's huge at my school, and I just don't understand why

- Sir O - 08-01-2003

The exception that proves the rule

- The Jays - 08-01-2003

I wasn't referring to the quality of programming.

Have you ever listened to the audience during these shows? This is my re-creation of a scene from your average British sitcom.

:Guy opens door to room:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:walks toward table. stops:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:reaches for pen on table. drops pen:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

- Sir O - 08-01-2003

I always thought that was canned laughter...

- HollywoodJewMoses - 08-01-2003

the game was sold out...

- The Jays - 08-01-2003

Quote:by the way, America couldn't care less about soccer

but they could also care less about soccer

Quote:Seinfeld.

Cheers, Honeymooners, That 70's Show...

- Galt - 08-01-2003

Yeah, that's true too.

Soccer is an extremely popular sport in the US too. Remember when the World Cup was here?

If America COULD care less, then doesn't that mean that they care a decent amount? I always hated that saying.

- The Jays - 08-01-2003

Nah, but , say Americans have no care whatsoever for soccer.... and with soccer being the boring sport that it is, it has that uncanny ability to make Americans care less about soccer, putting it in the negative range of care... thus, Americans CAN care less about soccer, even if they have no care... it's a theoretical thing I believe....

...I believe soccer is popular in the US due to the amount of illegal immigrants and recently naturalized citizens... once they get past that first generation of people living in America, soccer becomes a bore...

- crx girl - 08-01-2003

Sir O Wrote:I always thought that was canned laughter...
i think it's added in for american broadcasts

- The Jays - 08-01-2003

... to make sure we Yanks know what you Brits find funny?

- crx girl - 08-01-2003

basically, except it's probably done by you yanks so you wouldn't know which parts were funny to begin with Rolleyes