CDIH
what I'm buying myself for Christmas... - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: what I'm buying myself for Christmas... (/showthread.php?tid=7770)

Pages: 1 2

- Goatweed - 11-13-2003

[Image: universal_page1_07.jpg] (screen.width/2)){this.width = (this.width/2)}" onclick="javascript:if(this.width > (screen.width/2)){this.width = (this.width/2)} else {this.width = (this.width*2)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

Quote:Pelican's Pro System Selector is the ultimate control device
for your entertainment system. Start with 7 rear inputs for
AV, S-Video, Component Video, Digital Optical and Ethernet,
as well as two full function outputs. All this comes together
in a beautiful metal case with lighted interchangeable name
plates for all your Consoles and Audio and Video equipments

I must have this!!!

- HedCold - 11-13-2003

you just read 7 rear inputs and was like "woah", weren't you?

- Danked - 11-13-2003

That's more inputs than his special lady. I bet he's trading her in.

- Goatweed - 11-13-2003

Danked Wrote:That's more inputs than his special lady. I bet he's trading her in.
I wish, but no.

I just like it because it uses component jacks (for high def tv's)

Once I get this my life will have taken one step closer to being complete.

- Weird NJ - 11-13-2003

How much and where can I get one?

And I only want it if I can hook up the component to the tv and still be able to switch s-video, component x2 and RCAs through it.

- Keyser Soze - 11-13-2003

what would you use the ethernet for?

- Hybrid - 11-13-2003

i dont even know what that is

- Weird NJ - 11-13-2003

Aah! Its a gaming thing for those with multiple systems with broadband access. About 100 bucks.

in english that means, say you have an XBox, a PS2, and your PC. well you could use this thing to connect all of them to the internet at once and get hi end sound. you'd connect your speakers and your internet connection to the device.

i think. am i completely off?

- Goatweed - 11-13-2003

Quote:And I only want it if I can hook up the component to the tv and still be able to switch s-video, component x2 and RCAs through it.
it's got 8 switches, each switch offering a choice of component, S-vid and composite. Assuming your TV has enough inputs you should be able to hopok up anything you want in any fasion you want. Besy Buy has them for $90.

Quote:what would you use the ethernet for?
at first I thought it might be for online gaming but that doesnt make sense really - I think it's more for people who network their home audio/video gear.

Quote:i dont even know what that is

its a system selct box - for people who have every game console and dvd player available but have a limited amount of jacks on their tv to plus them into. These boxes have been around for a long time but this is the forst one to offer Component Video switching, at least with this many switches and at this low of a price. Component video is essentially high-def video.

- Weird NJ - 11-13-2003

Wait... forget it. There's no remote control.

no remote????? thats insanity.

- Goatweed - 11-14-2003

I don't need a remote - I have too many as it is.

- QuickStop - 11-14-2003

what does it connect to the tv through?

- Goatweed - 11-14-2003

theres an output channel, you hook it up to any input you like on the set. It's like any other selector except it allows for HD video as well as standard def.

- GonzoStyle - 11-14-2003

I don't need it but it looks pretty.

- Goatweed - 11-14-2003

you'll get to see it next time you come over!

- Weird NJ - 11-14-2003

I still think it sounds sketchy. I bought a cheap box that did s-video and standard RCA video, but the problem was I had to decide which format of video to use. It wouldn't let me mix and match, for example: s-video from my directv and rca video from my N64. It was all or nothing.

I tried to look up the specs on this Pelican unit but to no avail. I assume it would have to have some internal converter to take the RCA video from my N64 and feed it to my component connections to my TV.

- Goatweed - 11-14-2003

no no, it doesn't work like that.

Provided the TV set allows for it, the selector can be connected to the TV one way or all ways. My set, for example, allows for coax (standard cable), svideo, composite and component. Currently, Ive got the cable box connected 2 ways : with component (for the high def channels) and with S-vid cables (for the regular channels). When I wanna watch CSI in high def, I gotta change the tv setting to Input 5 (which is one of the 2 component inputs). When Im done, I go back to regular tv (Input 1).

The idea is to hook this thing up to your TV every possible way, and then run the consoles/peripherals into it any way you see fit. So if I hook up my xbox via component, when I play I need to use a component input mode - if I use the PS2 via svid, I can use one of the S-vid inputs, etc. It just saves the trouble of going behind the tv and switching console cables.

it doesnt convert svid or composite to component, i dont think theres anything like that since component video is at a much higher bandwidth.

- Hybrid - 11-14-2003

you guys are the biggest nerds ever