CDIH
All-star baseball 2003 - Ps2 owners, a good baseball game - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: All-star baseball 2003 - Ps2 owners, a good baseball game (/showthread.php?tid=785)

- Sean Cold - 03-14-2002

In it's third year, PS2 owners finally have a baseball game that is worth owning. All-Star Baseball 2003 Featuring Derek Jeter from AcclaimSports just fuckin rocks to no end.

There are a truck load of features that make this game stand out above all others, including High Heat, which I owned for a whole day. The one feature that makes it a must buy is expanssion mode. You get to choose your city, logo (abiet some cheezzzzzy ones) and participate in an axpansion draft and build your team from the bottom up. The game uses a very fair trade system so building a super team is not going to come all that easy.

The game play is outstanding. Easy controls and if you have a problem with the Icon based hitting interface, you can go old school and turn that feature off. This is the first BB game I can remember shattering your bat with pieces flying everywhere for hitting a pitch up near the hands. Pitching is a breeze and to have a futre throw option makes playing fluid and seemless. Futre throwing is that you press the button for who you want to throw to before you field the ball and it will throw to that player once the ball is fielded.

The only problem I have is with the sound. It seems a bit muffled at times but it is real easy to overlook this one downfall.

- Galt - 03-14-2002

Your post implied it, but I just want to make sure. Does it have "franchise mode".

No sports game is worth shit without this franchise mode. I am starting to get giddy. Baseball should be a kickass video game to play against buddies, but ever since RBI Baseball in like '86 there hasn't been a good baseball game.

There is always way too much offense, stealing bases is a breeze, there are always bountiful software glitches that make it easy to exploit either pitching, stealing, or hitting, every time I pitched with a good pitcher, I'd flirt with a no-hitter, and countless other problems. If you play a whole season, the stats are always retarded too. There's always like 25 guys who hit 30 homers and stole 30 bases, most people either hit over .300 or under .230, and EVERYONE hits at least 10 homers. All of those innacuracies usually just piss me off so that I can't play it anymore.

I think between my roommate and I, we bought 3 baseball games last year in hopes that one of them would be good. The 989 and the EA Sports games both sucked completely. I've been stuck pretty much playing Madden as the only consistently good and accurate sports game for like 4 years.

Is this Aklaim one out now?

Also: Also, can you edit players and default rosters like you can in Madden? Can you also set the default computer lineups? For some reason basball games always have fucked up lineups, and they never let you change them permanently

- Sean Cold - 03-14-2002

Galt Wrote:Your post implied it, but I just want to make sure. Does it have "franchise mode".
Yeah, sorry about that. In both Franchise and Expanssion mode, you get 20 seasons to play your team through. I know at the end of both, you get team records.

Another thing I love is that you can toggle between a four or five man rotation. I know it has been used before but it is a sweet option anyway.

Lets not forget that all big games, like if you go 4 for 4 with 3 HR's, is record in a great game section. And, the who's hot/who's not is great. It gives top ten in both plus in each seperate league with reasons why a team and or player is hot or not.

- Galt - 03-14-2002

I'll rent it. I just hate the fact that the simulated computer stats in baseball games are always way out of wack.

Who's going to be the first to say that this would be a good article for OTL?

Oh wait, I guess I am.

- Sean Cold - 03-14-2002

I just auto simmed a whole season and here is the league leaders:

National league
Batting Avrage: Luis Gonzalez, 359
Runs scored: Luis Gonzalez, 145
Home Runs: Barry Bonds, 66
RBI: Luis Gonzalez, 150
Stolen Bases: Juan Pierre, 54
Hits: Luis Gonzalez, 228
Doubles: Eric Young, 56
Triples: Luis Castillo, 14
Walks: Barry Bonds, 137
Strike outs: Jose Hernadez, 177
On Base percentage: Barry Bonds, 457
Slugging Percentage: Luis Gonzalez. 750
Wins: Tie, Kerry Wood and Kurt Schilling, 22
era: Russ ortiz, 1.81
Strikeouts: Randy Johnson, 334
Complete Games: Curt Schilling, 10
Saves: Trevor Hoffman, 45

thats enough to get the gist, I am not typing out the American Leauge

- Galt - 03-14-2002

Sean Cold Wrote:I just auto simmed a whole season and here is the league leaders:

National league

I made him do that.

Sweet. Seems pretty accurate (especially Kerry Wood)

Thanks man.

- PatCooper - 03-14-2002

Quote:I just auto simmed a whole season and here is the league leaders:

National league

Awwwwwwww... I was looking foeward to seeing the American League :confused:

What about the weather in the game? Does it change from game to game... ? Does it rain during the game... In season mode i'm talking about.

- Sean Cold - 03-14-2002

yeah, it changes.

You get a weather report for all games before hand. I already played a drenched game up in Portland, home of my team.

- Galt - 03-14-2002

Just so I can keep bothering you about the game. Can you have more than one team in Franchise mode?

It kinda sucks if you've got a few roomates that want to all be in the same season at the same time using different teams, but aren't able to.

Also, can you edit players ratings, and teams lineups to make them more realistic?