CDIH
$10 = Movie Ticket - What the Fuck - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: $10 = Movie Ticket - What the Fuck (/showthread.php?tid=8110)

Pages: 1 2

- The Jays - 12-29-2003

Quote:No reel bargain

Film tix break the $10 barrier

By CELESTE KATZ and LEO STANDORA
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Is that the price of a ticket, or how much it cost to make the movie?
As the curtain rose on holiday blockbusters last week, some Manhattan cinemas nudged the price of admission up two bits to a record-breaking $10.25 for adults and $6.75 for kids.

The increase comes on the heels of a 50-cent hike less than two years ago.

Loews Cineplex theaters throughout Manhattan and the United Artists Union Square multiplex confirmed their ticket prices went up or were going up this week.

The hike drew plenty of bad reviews from moviegoers.

"It's ridiculous," said Yesenia Aquino, 31, who was treating her two kids and her sister to "Peter Pan" at the Loews Orpheum on Third Ave. and 86th St.

"The children are on vacation, and we're trying to do something nice with them, but we didn't expect it to cost this much."

She said the outing is "gonna cost me 50 bucks with the tickets, the popcorn, soda and nachos."

But Marcie Calfon, a 28-year-old Manhattan doctor, just shrugged and said, "I guess if it's a good movie, you've got to dish it out. You don't really have a choice."

One angry mother, who refused to give her name, insisted moviegoers weren't getting their money's worth.

"The prices are shameful, especially for the quality of entertainment you get," she declared before rushing from the Orpheum with her husband and two young children.

"There are ads, and they're in your face and obnoxious. There are previews, and they're just as bad. It doesn't seem right," she said. "They show you ads, so why are they raising the prices?"

10 fucking dollars. I remember when it was 4 fucking dollars, and this is over a ten year period. What the fuck is going on? A pizza pie is now over 10 bucks, the bus and subway is , what $2 now? Express buses are back to 4, and theyre raping people at the Bridges and Tunnels. What the fuck, can we possibly make the dollar any more worthless?

- The Jays - 12-29-2003

But back to entertainment, do these movies really deserve ten dollars? For what? So that EVERY FUCKING MOVIE can boast that they made $200 million? It's like hitting 30 HR in a season, no one cares! And they say piracy could be to blame, shut the fuck up. Care to notice that DVD sales are up? People are too busy watching 50 years worth of movies and extras in the comfort of their own homes to go and watch "Cheaper by the Dozen" or whatever Scooby Doo and Eddie Murphy movie is out.

And where have our old school movie houses gone? It's either a Loews, AMC, or UA, some ugly ass building in a sea of vehicles with stadium seating and expensive snacks. Such fucking bullshit.

- Keyser Soze - 12-29-2003

where the fuck have you been? its already over 10 bucks in manhattan. i guess they're reasoning is it costs anywhere from 40 to 200 million to finance a film. i prefer watching most flicks on dvd anyway.

- Galt - 12-29-2003

In my day....

- The Jays - 12-29-2003

Quote:where the fuck have you been? its already over 10 bucks in manhattan.

Obviously, I haven't been to see a movie in Manhattan. :23:

you really need to see a flick on IMAX, its a religious experience.

- The Jays - 12-29-2003

How much is that movie ticket?

- crx girl - 12-29-2003

i like the stadium seating

- The Jays - 12-29-2003

- Galt - 12-29-2003

sound is good too.

- The Jays - 12-29-2003

- Goatweed - 12-29-2003

I love stadium seating - but I'm picky about movies that I go to see as well.

But yeah, movie prices are awful, the ads are awful and the snacks are not only overpriced, they taste like shit. The trailers used to be one of the good things about going to the movies, but as it is I end up seeing them on my computer before I get to the theater.

Speaking of Scooby-Doo, I hear there's a workprint of the sequel floating around the 'net.

Not sure how much IMAX is, I forget. Its definitely over 10 bucks.

- The Jays - 12-29-2003

pfft, I could get blown for 10 bucks.

i could get blown for free.

- The Jays - 12-29-2003

Even cheaper.

- QuickStop - 12-29-2003

i only see movies that are definately going to be good in theaters. everything else that i want to see, but dont feel like shelling out the $8.75 it costs here on a weekend, i download of irc.

this week however, was the first time i saw a movie twice in theaters...ROTK. i paid $10 (fucking ridiculous for a theater on LI) + $1 to reserve it, then another $8.75 for the second time. I do not regret it though. maybe if most movies didnt suck so much ass, more people would go see them.

i refuse to watch movies on my pc

- QuickStop - 12-29-2003

so do i. i burn svcds and play them in the dvd player.

- Goatweed - 12-30-2003

QuickStop Wrote:so do i. i burn svcds and play them in the dvd player.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^