CDIH
Cart racing!! - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: The Smoke Room (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Faggy Artistic Forum (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Cart racing!! (/showthread.php?tid=826)

Pages: 1 2

- The Sleeper - 03-19-2002

This season is gonna be awesome! :thumbs-up:

A Guide to the Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix
News item courtesy of CART Racing Update
and
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cart.com">http://www.cart.com</a><!-- w -->.

2001 MONTERREY INSTANT REPLAY: Brazilian Cristiano da Matta started his 2001 CART FedEx Championship Series season and his new relationship with Newman/Haas Racing off with a bang by taking the victory in the season-opening Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix. Da Matta wrestled the lead away from polesitter Kenny Brack on Lap 43 of the 78-lap event, briefly lost the lead to Dario Franchitti on Lap 57 when he made his final pit stop, and re-claimed the lead for good on Lap 61 to take a 1.982-second victory over defending CART FedEx Championship Series champion Gil de Ferran. The victory was the second of da Matta's Champ Car career. Finishing third was Team KOOL Green pilot Paul Tracy, followed by Michael Andretti in his first race with Team Motorola. Brack rounded out the top five.

Montérrèy preview

After an off season of changes and thousands of testing miles, the CART FedEx Championship Series combatants are ready to start the 2002 war with this weekend's first of what will be 20 battles, the Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix at Fundidora Park in Monterrey, Mexico (SPEED Channel; Sunday, March 10; 4:00 p.m. ET).

While the chase for the 2002 Vanderbilt Cup figures to be up for grabs, one driver who may have an upper hand coming into the opening weekend is Newman/Haas Racing pilot Cristiano da Matta (#6 Havoline Toyota/Lola). For starters, the 28-year-old Brazilian comes into the season-opener riding a two-race winning streak from the end of the 2001 season.

Couple that with the fact that he was one of the fastest drivers throughout off-season testing, and the fact that he is the defending champion of the Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix, and it is crystal clear that da Matta not only has the credentials to take this weekend's race, but he also rates among the favorites to take the 2002 CART FedEx Championship Series title as well.

However, da Matta is not alone in his quest to open the 2002 season with a victory. 2001 CART FedEx Championship Series runner-up Kenny Brack (#12 Target Toyota/Lola) is poised to take a page from da Matta's book and start his first season with Target Chip Ganassi Racing in Fundidora Park's Victory Circle, just as da Matta did when he began his relationship with Newman/Haas Racing one year ago.

Brack qualified on the pole position for the inaugural Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix in 2001, so he obviously knows how to get around the 2.104-mile permanent road course quickly, especially for one lap. If he's able to put together 85 good laps on Sunday afternoon, he could walk away with his first career road course victory.

When looking for favorites, one can't overlook the winningest driver in CART history, Michael Andretti (#39 Motorola Honda/Reynard). The racing legend opens his 19th season of Champ Car competition in Fundidora Park this weekend looking to pick up his 42nd career CART victory, and add to his record total of 14 seasons with at least one victory.

One year ago, Andretti debuted with Team Motorola in the Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix and turned in a solid performance throughout the weekend with a fifth place showing in qualifying and a fourth place result on race day. With one full season together under their belts, Andretti and Team Motorola figure to be tough to beat come Sunday.

Let's also not forget about the Team Motorola technical partners at Team KOOL Green. After all, Paul Tracy (#26 KOOL Honda/Reynard) scored his best result of 2001 when he came home third in the inaugural Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix, a result that was equaled at Nazareth Speedway in May.

The two third place finishes, however, were the lone bright spots in a tough 2001 season for Tracy. During the off-season, Tracy underwent a dramatic physical transformation and arrived at last month's Sneak Preview at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca looking like a lean, mean, racing machine, and appears ready to challenge for the 2002 CART FedEx Championship Series title.

Likewise, Tracy's Team KOOL Green mate, Dario Franchitti, also had a significant off-season development he got married to actress Ashley Judd and comes into the 2002 season focused on getting the CART FedEx Championship Series title that has eluded him in each of his first six seasons.

While all of the competitors in this weekend's Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix are hungry to get a win, CART's "Three Amigos" Mexican drivers Adrian Fernandez (#51 Tecate/Quaker State/Telmex Honda/Lola), Michel Jourdain Jr. (#9 Gigante Ford-Cosworth/Lola), and rookie Mario Dominguez (#16 Herdez Ford-Cosworth/Lola) definitely have extra motivation to win the Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix.

Fernandez, who has a Michael Jordan-esque following in his homeland of Mexico, would love nothing more than to win in front of his countrymen. Fernandez was instrumental in getting Champ Car racing to return to Mexico for the first time since 1981 last year, and comes into 2002 looking to put a rough 2001 season behind him.

With one full year as an owner/driver under his belt and a new Lola chassis, he may have the winning combination when all is said and done on Sunday. Let's not forget that Fernandez has already won Champ Car races in five different countries (Canada, Japan, Brazil, Australia, and the United States); a win in Mexico would add to his impressive resume.

Jourdain - a Mexico City native - also comes into the 2002 season full of optimism as he has joined forces with Team Rahal for the 2002 CART FedEx Championship Series. Many believe that the move to Team Rahal will prove to be the catalyst for Jourdain to realize his full potential, and a victory in Monterrey would be wildly popular.

Meanwhile, Dominguez comes into the weekend in Monterrey looking to do what has only been accomplished by 1993 CART FedEx Championship Series champion and Jim Trueman Rookie of the Year, Nigel Mansell, and that is to emerge victorious in his first career Champ Car start. Dominguez seemingly has the weight of the world on his shoulders this weekend, what with making his Champ Car debut in front of his fellow Mexicans, but he did score a victory in his first-ever oval start in the Dayton Indy Lights Championship in ???

Jimmy Vasser (#8 Shell Ford-Cosworth/Lola), the 1996 CART FedEx Championship Series champion, is another driver who has everything it takes to reach Victory Circle on Sunday. Vasser has been energized by his off-season switch to the winningest team of the 2001 CART FedEx Championship Series season - Team Rahal, and cannot be discounted this weekend.

Player's/Forsythe Racing drivers Patrick Carpentier (#32 Player's Ltd./Indeck Ford-Cosworth/Lola) and Alex Tagliani (#33 Player's Ltd./Indeck Ford-Cosworth/Lola) also cannot be overlooked. Carpentier got his elusive first career victory in 2001, and Tagliani finished the season with two straight podium finishes (at Surfers Paradise and California Speedway) and the pole position for the season finale at Fontana to close the year out strong. A consistent effort from both drivers will keep them in the hunt throughout the 2002 CART FedEx Championship Series.

While da Matta and the Mexican drivers might grab a lot of headlines prior to race weekend, they're definitely going to be challenged by some of their cohorts from Latin America. For starters, Brazilian Tony Kanaan (#10 Pioneer/WorldCom Honda/Reynard) enters his third year with Mo Nunn Racing and has caught the eye of many pundits with solid preseason testing results.

Bruno Junqueira (#4 Target Toyota/Lola), a native of Belo Horizonte, Brazil, returns for his second season with Target Chip Ganassi Racing, and knows a thing or two about winning on permanent road circuits as evidenced by his performance at Road America in 2001. Speaking of drivers who picked up their first career victory at Road America, Brazil's Christian Fittipaldi (#11 Newman/Haas Racing Toyota/Lola) is always a threat to win, particularly on road circuits.

The team formerly known as PacWest Racing Group will be looking to debut PWR Championship Racing at Number One this weekend, and comes to battle equipped with two of the brightest young talents of the CART FedEx Championship Series. In a glimpse of things to come, Scott Dixon (#7 PWR Championship Racing Toyota/Lola) actually led 14 laps of the Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix in 2001, before going on to become the youngest winner in major open-wheel racing history at Nazareth and winning the 2001 Jim Trueman Rookie of the Year award. The New Zealander clearly rates among the favorites in Monterrey.

Dixon, who won the Dayton Indy Lights title in 2000, is joined at PWR by the 1999 Indy Lights champion, Oriol Servia (#17 PWR Championship Racing Toyota/Lola), who begins his third CART FedEx Championship Series season with his third different team. Servia was also competitive in the 2001 Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix in the first start for Sigma Autosport, so he figures to be a tough competitor this weekend as well.

One can also not forget about the man who replaced Servia at Sigma Autosport, Max Papis (#22 ROCKWELL FIRST POINT Ford-Cosworth/Lola). The Italian is a three-time winner in Champ Car competition, with two of those victories coming on permanent road courses. Papis will also be tough to beat.

Townsend Bell (#20 Visteon/Patrick Racing Toyota/Reynard) embarks on his first full season of CART FedEx Championship Series competition this weekend, but he's certainly no stranger to the Champ Car cockpit or Monterrey's Fundidora Park. In addition to hundreds of testing miles, Bell made two starts in a Patrick Racing Champ Car in Europe last September, posting a best finish of 12th in England. He also kicked off his 2001 Dayton Indy Lights Championship-winning season with a second place run in the opener at Monterrey. Add to that the vast experience of Patrick Racing, and it's clear that Bell cannot be counted out.

One driver who made a good first impression in his Champ Car debut in Monterrey last season was Tora Takagi (#5 Pioneer/Denso Special Toyota/Reynard). Takagi is back for a second season with Walker Racing and appears to be a strong challenger with a full year of experience under his belt. Likewise, Takagi's Japanese countryman Shinji Nakano (#52 Alpine/Mitsuba Honda/Lola) - who is now in his third year of Champ Car competition - also figures to be competitive this weekend, and would love nothing more than to score the first victory for Fernandez Racing in Mexico.

This weekend will also mark the official CART FedEx Championship Series debut of the Bridgestone Potenza racing tires, as every car in the field will ride on Bridgestone tires.

Driver Quotes

CRISTIANO da MATTA ( #6 Havoline Toyota/Lola):

On the feeling of winning in first race with Newman/Haas Racing last season

"It was good. Of course it was a very special feeling because it was the first race with the team. I don't think anyone expected it to happen so fast. I knew I could win and the team knew they could win but the questions was 'Could we win together?' Winning a race is always a great feeling, difficult to explain, but a great feeling."

On pressure of defending 2001 victory

"I don't feel any pressure at all because I am not thinking of one race in particular. I am thinking more about winning the Championship, and I know that whether I win in Mexico or not, it is not going to make a big difference in my result at the end of the season at this point. It is just a start of the Championship so I don't feel a lot of pressure. Having said that, I really want to win there because of all the fans and how big the event is. Because, of course, the bigger the event you win, the more enjoyable it is for you. I would also like to win because I enjoy the track. I want to keep my sweet memories from there."

On expectations for 2002 Monterrey race

"I think it will be a great race again. When I went to Mexico to meet with the media, I was able to go to the track for the first time since my win. I could see the changes that were made. There were a lot of improvements such as rumble strips placed on turns to prevent drivers cutting across the grass. This circuit is one of the best ones, with a very smooth pavement, very nice and in a beautiful place. It is only the second year for the track and it is already at a level close to Formula One."

On the fans in Monterrey

"Monterrey fans, I am sure, are among the best ones anywhere. They know what is happening on track, what do you do as driver, and understand about competition and I am feeling very honored to arrive to a place where people talk about me and enjoy what am I doing. I like it very much"

On CART's new qualifying procedure

"I think more important than scoring points on Friday, is the fact that all of us will be in one group to qualify. Friday qualifying is going to make the show more exciting for the fans, because in the past we focused on setup and testing changes for the race. But I think that qualifying in one group, not in two groups as the last year is more fair and exciting for the fans, and increases competitiveness -which is very high in CART- although I hope not so much because I want to win many races."

ADRIAN FERNANDEZ (#51 Tecate/Quaker State/Telmex Honda/Reynard):

"What a difference a year makes! Last March, we were a three-month old team making our debut at one of our most important races. Now we are headed to Monterrey prepared to meet the challenges. Personally, I am in the best physical shape of my career and I am really looking forward to this year's race. Monterrey was very special for me last season. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had with the number of fans, the atmosphere and the tremendous showing of support. I had never experienced anything like this in my entire CART career. It was a lot of work, but at the same time, it was very rewarding. I think our new Honda/Lola/Bridgestone package is a good car. With the new testing rules, we have only used six of 10 test days. After the last test, we were pretty close with where we wanted to be with the car. We are notthere exactly, but hopefully we will be able to make that up over the weekend. Don [Halliday] and I are still learning, but I have no doubt that we will be competitive this year."

MARIO DOMINGUEZ (#16 Herdez Ford-Cosworth/Lola):

"I'm very excited for my first race in the CART FedEx Championship Series. It's a dream come true for me to be able to make my Champ Car debut in front of the crowd in my home country and our sponsors. We have worked very hard in the winter so I'm feeling very confident about my first time out in the Herdez Ford-Cosworth/Lola. For me, I think the biggest challenge will be the race strategy. These races are completely different from what I am used to - I'm still getting used to pit stops, the much longer race distance, and all of the strategic decisions you have to make. But the Herdez Competition team has really helped me every step of the way and I feel I am ready for my first race in Monterrey!"

PAUL TRACY (#26 KOOL Honda/Reynard):

"There have been some rule changes made this off-season that I think fit my style of driving, so I'm really looking forward to beginning the season. Getting rid of fuel economy runs and letting us run flat out all race is a great change. That's the way I like to drive and I'm sure the fans will like seeing everyone driving hard throughout the race. Opening the season in Monterrey will be fun, Team KOOL Green did a great job there last year, Dario and I both ran well and I even got a podium. You want to start the year off on a positive note and I hope I can be on the podium again this year. The atmosphere in Mexico is electric; even on Thursday when the cars aren't running there are people everywhere."

MICHAEL ANDRETTI (#39 Motorola Honda/Reynard):

"I think Team Motorola has got a lot of momentum going into this first race. Last season we were a brand new team and everyone was getting used to working with each other and figuring out what worked best for Team Motorola and for me as a driver. This season, we're coming into Monterrey as a much more fine-tuned team. We've got a full season behind us, we all know what we need to do to get the job done and we're working well as a team. So I think that's going to play a big part this season and our experience together will work to our advantage."

On racing in Monterrey

"The Monterrey race was very successful last season. The fans in Mexico are so enthusiastic and supportive of CART and in return, I think we put on a great show in Monterrey. The track was fun to drive and since it's the second year for this event that the track will be in better shape than last year."

On recent CART rule changes

"With the fuel restrictions lifted we're going to be able to go out and just drive as hard as we can for the whole race and I think that's going to make for a better show for the fans. I'm really looking forward to that and I think this is a great example of what Chris (Pook) is trying to do to improve the CART show. The product that we have in CART is second to none and I think with the leadership we have in CART now that there's a good opportunity to show the positives that CART has to offer."

JIMMY VASSER (#8 Shell Ford-Cosworth/Lola):

"It's been a very good winter for myself and the Shell team. There was a brief learning curve for everyone. I had to get adjusted to the new engineers and crew and they all had to get used to me. But after a day or two,we were all on the same page and things really progressed well. It was one of the best testing programs I have ever been involved with in his CART career. Team Rahal showed me how they won all of those races last year. I remember that Bobby wanted me to drive for him a few years ago but the timing wasn't right at that point of my career. I was set at the Target team then. But it didn't take me long to say `yes' to Bobby when he asked me again. This team is one of the best in all of U.S. open-wheel racing and I'd like to continue the success of the Shell car immediately at Mexico. Our goal is to put the Shell car back on top of the victory podium in 2002. Winning races is a primary goal as well as the CART championship. If you win and score points, the championship is right there for you."

TONY KANAAN (#10 Pioneer-WorldCom/Mo Nunn Racing Honda/Reynard):

"Last year, I won a really nice bicycle at Monterrey in a running bet we had with Cristiano all last season. The winner of a race would have to buy the other guy a bike, and Cristiano went out and won the race down there. This year, I don't want a bike. I want the first-place trophy. I'm really looking forward to starting the season. We worked really, really hard in testing. Now, I'm ready to go to work so we can start earning points for all of our hard work. It's bound to pay off. We made good progress in every area, from our Honda engine program to our new Reynard chassis and our new Bridgestone tires. We'll get to put it all together at Monterrey on one of the most interesting race courses we go to all year. It was a little difficult because grip was a real problem all weekend long. I had to qualify with the slow group last year because they broke us into groups based on points from the previous season. So even though we ran in the top four or five in all the practice sessions, we had to start 10th, and the best we could do was to finish seventh. It was really difficult to pass. Hopefully, this being our second year on the racetrack, all of that will improve. We're all going to have a fair shot at the pole with the new qualifying rules. Otherwise, it's a great place to race. The people down there really fell in love with us. The atmosphere was electric on the grid on Sunday. I remember getting goosebumps. I'm ready!"

MAX PAPIS (#22 ROCKWELL FIRST POINT Ford-Cosworth/Lola):

"It will be great to start another CART season once again! When we raced here last year, it was such a wonderful, festive time and the fans were great and full of enthusiasm. My goal for the race is to finish in the top five and I think that can happen. I am going to be concentrating hard and the guys on our team will be focused and on the job. I will have some momentum for this race as I finished on the podium (2nd place) at the last race of the (2001) season. I will also have my 100th career CART start and that will be special for me as well. It's going to be an exciting start to the season."

DARIO FRANCHITTI (#27 KOOL Honda/Reynard):

"With the limited testing Team KOOL Green is allowed nowadays the start of the season seems to come on pretty quick. I'm anxious to go racing and I'm excited about going to Mexico and starting the season. I think this year is going to be fun. I'm sure some people will be complaining about the new qualifying procedures and some people will think they're great. I'm looking forward to that first qualifying session, I think it is only right you get a point for being the fastest on Friday. I like what CART is doing; that they are trying different things, it shows that they are thinking about making the series better and trying to make progress, so that's good. Traction control is also going to come into play and that is going to be a new experience and it will be important in Mexico because the track there is so slippery. I ran traction control in Germany in the DTM (German Touring Car series) car so I have some experience with it but certainly there is going to be more stuff going on in the car and more work for the engineers. Team KOOL Green is going to Monterrey in a very positive frame of mind and we are going downthere with the goal of winning the race."

PATRICK CARPENTIER (#32 Player's Ltd./Indeck Ford-Cosworth/Reynard):

"It's hard to believe that I'm about to start my sixth season in the CART series. Time flies when you're having fun, and, more than ever, I'm having a blast racing and competing. I know that every team is optimistic as it heads into the season but that's especially true for Team Player's. We finished last season on an extremely strong note and then our winter testing program was very productive. Every time out, our engineering and mechanical crew learned something new about the car and we believe we have the package to improve on last year's performance. If you look at some of the times that were clocked at the CART Sneak Preview a few weeks ago, it's easy to see that again this year this is going to be an exceptionally competitive series. With everyone so close, most of the time it's going to come down to a team being able to find a tenth of a second here and there to put them over the top. We are the only team with a Ford/Reynard package and that might just give us the edge. I have great confidence that our Team Player's crew is going to be successful in coming up with ways to put us in a position to contend in every race this season. I've never felt so confident and pumped up for the start of a season."

ALEX TAGLIANI (#33 Player's Ltd./Indeck Ford-Cosworth/Reynard):

"You enter every season with the goal of improving on the one before, and that's definitely what I'm looking to do this year. With a lot of help from the Team Player's crew we were able to make some good progress in that regard last year, advancing five places in the standings, with 27 more points than I had as a CART rookie the previous year. We had that improvement despite a slow start to the season, when we had such miserable luck. This year, we're hoping to get off to a faster start and have a consistent performance throughout the season. That's how you get to the top of the drivers' standings. I really like the changes that the series has made for the 2002 season, especially with the new qualifying procedures where you can get a point and be assured of a front-row spot by being the provisional pole sitter on Friday, and the fact that qualifiers will be going in one group, rather than being split. I remember saying quite often last year that I thought drivers in the first qualifying group were at an unfair advantage because they were basically going out and laying rubber for the second group. We struggled to get points early in the season last year, but with the new procedures and the direction Team Player's has taken since Toronto last season, that won't be a factor in 2002. I just can't wait to get going!"

SCOTT DIXON (#7 PWR Championship Racing Toyota/Lola):

"Monterrey has very enthusiastic race fans and I'm looking forward to returning there - they really add to the overall excitement of the race. I'm pleased with our off-season testing and believe we're on the right track and have definitely made progress. With our new Toyota Lola package for 2002, we are very optimistic that we will have a very strong and competitive season. The Toyota engine continues to be solid and reliable. I think being consistent and finishing races will be a strong point for our team this season. I finished the race last year in 13th position, but led the race for awhile, which was very exciting for me considering it was my first Champ Car race."

CHRISTIAN FITTIPALDI (#11 Newman/Haas Racing Toyota/Lola):

"Consistency. That's what we're going to concentrate on this year. In this series, you don't have a chance without it. If we can just put an entire season together we should have a great chance at the Championship by the end of the season. If we could put a season together with the consistency of 1996, the momentum of good results like we had in the first part of 1999 before my testing accident and the qualifying from 2000 where we were in the top-six or eight everywhere then we would be looking good. When we left Portland last year, I was in fifth place ahead of Gil in the point standings and from that point on we went downhill. This season, our aim is consistency and scoring points at every race. We definitely have the speed, but we've lacked the consistency. On a number of occasions we've been close, but we've never been able to put it together.

Sometimes I screwed up, sometimes it was a part of the car ... just different situations that didn't work out but hopefully, everything will come together this year."

On changes going into 2002

"We had a change in the engineering setup at the team and I think change is good sometimes. So far in testing Craig (Hampson) and I have communicated pretty well and that's encouraging. I think it will only make the entire team stronger now that Peter (Gibbons) is overseeing both programs. I think that the legalization of traction control will help everyone. Now everyone is on the same page. The new qualifying system will be interesting for everyone. Especially the first two races where everyone will go through a learning curve to see how to get the most out of the session. After Long Beach, everyone will be better prepared for the other races in terms of getting over the learning curve."

On the Toyota/Lola package

"I think Toyota has a strong package. They concentrate on finishing races and that's how you score points and win Championships. The new Lola also looks improved. To me, the championship looks up for grabs, and I intend to be one of the guys trying to get my hands on it."

ORIOL SERVIA (#17 PWR Championship Racing Toyota/Lola):

"I am very excited about going back to Monterrey, Mexico. The fans gave us a very warm welcome last year and it's very important to the series that we return to Monterrey. Last year I qualified 8th and finished 14th, but prior to the season opener I didn't complete a lot of testing. This year I've done much more testing and feel it's really going to help me, so I'm confident we'll be up at the front. The team has been building momentum throughout our testing sessions and I think we're justwhere we want to be going into the season. It's been a whole new challenge for me, especially working with a teammate again. With Scott Dixon, I have somebody to share information with and telemetry data. Scott and I raced in Lights together - he's very quick, very fast, so he will push me to the limit. We will definitely work together to move the team up competitively. Also, I'm extremely happy to be back with Toyota. I raced with them while I was at PPI Motorsports in 2000. It's very clear to me that Toyota is committed to winning and I feel like I've come home again. I'm very honored to start my third CART season with PWR and taking over Mauricio Gugelmin's seat. Mo has done a great job and has always impressed me. I am extremely honored and hope I follow in his footsteps. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to learn more from him."

TOWNSEND BELL (#20 Visteon/Patrick Racing Toyota/Reynard:

"I have learned a lot during the preseason and I an really looking forward to the start of the 2002 FedEx Championship Series season. The Visteon/Patrick Racing team is a very dedicated group of professionals. They have made a big effort to help me make the adjustment to champ cars and I appreciate the effort they have made. The Visteon/Patrick Racing team has done everything possible to be prepared for the start of the season. As far as the car is concerned, the Toyota engine has been both reliable and powerful, the Reynard chassis handles great and Bridgestone has, once again, produced some tremendous tires. Based on our preseason-testing program I think we have a very good setup for the first two races of the season, which are both on road/street circuits, so I am confident heading in the start of the 2002 FedEx Championship Series season."

SHINJI NAKANO (#52 Alpine/Mitsuba Honda/Reynard):

"I am looking forward to going back to Monterrey next week. This is an important race for Adrian and for the team. It is the same feeling for me when I go to Japan. We have made good progress during the off-season with our new equipment package, and we are ready to make a new start this year. The team has also grown to a new level as well. I am excited about this year and I am looking forward to showing the results on the race track."

Which Drivers HAve A great Shot At Victory

Cristiano da Matta (#6 Havoline Toyota/Lola) has won the past two CART FedEx Championship Series events (the 2001 Honda Indy 300 and The 500 Presented by Toyota), and is the defending champion of the Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix. Da Matta was also unofficially one of the fastest drivers throughout preseason testing, and was the fastest in each of the four testing sessions during CART Sneak Preview at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on February 9-10.

Max Papis (#22 ROCKWELL FIRST POINT Ford-Cosworth/Lola) comes into the 2002 CART FedEx Championship Series season opener on a six-race scoring streak, dating to a second place finish in Germany. Included in the scoring run are a victory at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and a second place finish in the 2001 CART FedEx Championship Series season finale at California Speedway. Papis has also scored championship points in his last three CART FedEx Championship Series season openers, including his first career victory in the 2000 opener at Homestead.

Michael Andretti (#39 Motorola Honda/Reynard) has won three of the past eight CART FedEx Championship Series openers, (Australia, 1994; Homestead, 1997-98), and has podium finishes of second in the 1999 season opener at Homestead and third in the 1988 opener at Phoenix. Overall, Andretti owns eight top-five finishes in 17 season-opening starts, including a fourth place finish at Monterrey last year, and fourths at Phoenix in 1987 and '89.

Paul Tracy (#26 KOOL Honda/Reynard) owns podium results in three of his past three season-opening starts, finishing second at Homestead in 1997, third at Homestead in 2000, and third in Monterrey last year. Tracy did not compete in the 1999 season opener per a CART ruling for a driving infraction late in the 1998 season.

Jimmy Vasser (#8 Shell Ford-Cosworth/Lola) has scored championship points in seven of his past eight CART FedEx Championship Series openers, including a victory in Homestead in 1996. Also included in the run are finishes of third (Homestead '97), fourth (Australia '94, Homestead '99), sixth (Monterrey 2001), eighth (Miami '95), and 10th (Homestead 2000).

ON THE AIR

Extensive television coverage of the Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix will air in the United States on SPEED Channel. In addition to live coverage of Sunday's race beginning at 4:00 p.m. ET, coverage of first-round qualifying airs Friday, March 8 at 9:00 p.m. ET, and final round qualifying coverage airs at 8:00 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 9. The event coverage will also be enhanced by the magazine-style "CART Friday Night" program, which makes its debut at 10:30 p.m. ET on Friday, March 8, as well as a 30-minute pre-race broadcast which airs at 3:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, March 10. Live audio coverage of both qualifying rounds as well as the Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix will air on the official web site of the CART FedEx Championship series, <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.CART.com">http://www.CART.com</a><!-- w -->. The Internet audio broadcast of Friday's qualifying session airs at 3:00 p.m. ET, with the broadcast of the final round of qualifying on Saturday slated for 2:30 p.m. ET. The Internet broadcast of the Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix airs at 4:00 p.m. ET.

ON THE RIGHT TRACK

Cristiano da Matta (#6 Havoline Toyota/Lola) has scored championship points in four of his past five starts on permanent road circuits, dating to his 2001 season-opening victory in the Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix. In addition to the victory in Monterrey, da Matta's 2001 permanent road circuit record includes a sixth place run at Road America, and 10th place finishes at Mid-Ohio and Portland. Da Matta also recorded career-best qualifying performances of second at Portland and Monterrey in 2001.

Two of the three career victories for Max Papis (#22 ROCKWELL FIRST POINT Ford-Cosworth/Lola) have come on permanent road courses. Papis picked up his first career road course victory (and second victory overall) in 2001 at Portland. He started the Portland event from the pole position. At Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Papis established a new CART record for winning a race from the deepest starting position on a road circuit. Papis took his third career Champ Car win, and second on a road circuit, after starting 25th in Monterey, Calif.

Scott Dixon (#7 PWR Championship Racing Toyota/Lola) has scored championship points in all but one of his career starts on permanent road circuits. The 2001 Jim Trueman Rookie of the Year finished fourth at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and Road America, seventh at Portland, and12th at Mid-Ohio. He just missed the points in the 2001 Monterrey season opener, coming home with a 13th place finish. However, the New Zealander did lead 14 laps in Monterrey, his first stint on the lead in CART FedEx Championship Series competition.

MANUFACTURING SUCCESS

Ford-Cosworth has won three of the past five CART FedEx Championship Series season openers and six of the past nine. The victories have come from Nigel Mansell (Australia '93), Michael Andretti (Australia '94, Homestead '97 and '98), Jacques Villeneuve (Miami '95), and Max Papis (Homestead 2000).

Toyota comes into the 2002 CART FedEx Championship Series opener riding a two-race winning streak thanks to Newman/Haas Racing pilot Cristiano da Matta, who won consecutive events in Surfers Paradise, Australia and Fontana, Calif. to close out the 2001 campaign.

NOTEWORTHY

CART has recently announced a number of rule changes designed to improve the on-track competition. Among the rule changes announced at CART Sneak Preview in February at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, are the return of Friday qualifying at road and street course events, with a revised procedure from what had been used on road and street courses in the past. All drivers will be permitted on the circuit throughout each 60-minute qualifying session (on Friday and Saturday) and each driver will be allowed 15 timed laps in each qualifying session. Each session is guaranteed to have at least 45 minutes of green flag time. The fastest driver on Friday's qualifying session will be awarded one point and will be guaranteed a starting spot no lower than second, regardless of his speed in Saturday's final qualifying session. The fastest driver overall at the end of qualifying on Saturday will also receive one point. For oval events, the qualifying order will once again be determined by practice speeds, with the fastest driver in practice being the last driver to qualify. CART has also committed to red flag stoppages for late-race incidents whenever possible in an effort to provide fans with race finishes under green flag conditions. Full-course caution flags will also be minimized, as CART will now follow the worldwide FIA standard for local caution flags whenever possible. Timed races and fuel "economy runs" have also been given some attention, as CART Race Operations is developing a formula that will give competitiors more than enough fuel to compete "flat out" in CART FedEx Championship Series races. Timed races will rarely be mandated this season due in large part thanks to an increased amount of television time available within the SPEED Channel relationship. In mid-February, CART also announced that traction control will be permitted on all cars effective immediately. The decision to allow traction control was based on the difficulty of policing the use of traction control technology.

At the beginning of this week, CART made race announcements on consecutive days that will raise the total number of events on the CART FedEx Championship Series calendar to 20. On Monday, CART announced that it has leased the one-mile Chicago Motor Speedway oval and will self-promote the CART Grand Prix of Chicago on June 30, 2002 (CBS-TV, 3:30 p.m. EDT). The race represents the first time CART has leased a track for an existing event, and the announcement came less than a month after Chicago Motor Speedway officials suspended 2002 auto racing events at the Cicero, Ill. track. On Tuesday, CART announced that it has acquired a majority interest of Raceworks, LLC and that the CART FedEx Championship Series will be one of two featured events at The Grand Prix of the Americas on October 4-6, 2002 on the streets of downtown Miami. CART shares "headline event" status with the American Le Mans Series (ALMS). The ALMS race will take center stage on Saturday, October 5, with the CART FedEx Championship Series event in the spotlight on Sunday, October 6.

With this weekend's season-opening Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix, the teams competing n the 2002 CART FedEx Championship Series begin the qualifying process for the $50,000-to-win Craftsman Pit Crew Challenge. Now in its fourth year, the Craftsman Pit Crew Challenge awards points to teams based on their performance in the pits during CART FedEx Championship Series events. Using CART's official timing system, the total amount of time for each team on pit road is recorded. Points are then awarded using the same formula that determines the series championship (20 for first, 16 for second, 14 for third, etc.), and the less time spent in the pits means more points. The top four teams in points, plus a to-be-determined "wild card" entry will meet in a shootout during the 2002 CART FedEx Championship Series season-ending weekend at California Speedway in Fontana, Calif. The crew of the #8 Shell Ford-Cosworth/Lola driven by Kenny Brack was the 2001 winner of the shootout, and was awarded $50,000, plus a Waterford Crystal Pit Crew Challenge trophy.

WHOA!

[Image: vasserinpit.JPG]
[Image: jourdainnose.jpg]

- crx girl - 03-19-2002

christ you're just whoring every possible way you can think of now aren't ya Rolleyes

and isn't this stuff more white trash than sport?

CART is an international sport.

CART To Show 20 Events Live Next Year

Click For 2001 TV Schedule

The increasing globalization of the CART FedEx Championship Series makes putting a television schedule together a daunting task, especially when you are trying to avoid showing tape-delayed events.

The CART staff, along with broadcast partners ABC and ESPN, have released a 2001 television schedule that calls for 20 of the 22 events to be shown live, starting with the March 11 event in Monterrey, Mexico.

"Our primary goal was to secure live coverage for as many races as possible during the 2001 season," said Keith Allo, CART vice president/group manager for broadcasting. "Generating the television schedule in this fashion was challenging due to the fact that CART races are held in eight different time zones and countries. However, live coverage of our events was the desire of our teams, sponsors and, most importantly, are our fans. We are extremely pleased to accommodate those wishes in 20 of the 22 events."

Four of the events will benefit from an increase in broadcast time as the Texas 600 at Texas Motor Speedway, Molson Indy Vancouver, German 500 at Eurospeedway and Rockingham 500 at Rockingham Motor Speedway will get more than the customary two hours seen on most CART shows. The events at Rio and Vancouver will be the only two races that will be shown on a tape-delayed basis. Nine races will be on ABC, 12 on ESPN with one event on espn2.

"We not only have more live race coverage than ever before, but also more hours devoted to CART and more hours for the fans," said Pat Leahy, CART senior vice president for marketing and communications. "This increase in exposure provides an excellent opportunity to demonstrate the thrills and excitement of champ car racing."

The ABC/ESPN race broadcast team will remain intact for the 2001 season. Paul Page will be joined by color analyst Parker Johnstone while Gary Gerould and Jon Beekhuis will serve as the pit reporters. The same crew also returns for the weekly Inside CART show with co-hosts Chris Miles and Michelle Garforth. Eric Mauk, News Bureau Editor, RACER and Associate Editor, Champ Car

- crx girl - 03-19-2002

Quote:The Trailer Park
Talk about the WWF, NASCAR, hunting, bowling, Flea markets, garage sales, camping and all of your other white trash topics here.
close enough :crackhead:

- LZMF1 - 03-19-2002

crx girl Wrote:
Quote:The Trailer Park
Talk about the WWF, NASCAR, hunting, bowling, Flea markets, garage sales, camping and all of your other white trash topics here.
close enough :crackhead:
she's right.

:crackhead: :crackhead: :crackhead: :crackhead: :crackhead: :crackhead: :crackhead: :crackhead: :crackhead: :crackhead:

- crx girl - 03-19-2002

i win !!11 :bouncer: :fuggin: :bouncer:

Big CART race in 20 minutes on the SPEED channel. Don't miss it!

What a race!1!!

Fin Str
Pos Pos Car# Driver Engine/Chassis/Tire Laps Time Mph km/h Lag Status

1 5 6 C. da Matta Toyota/Lola/Bridgestone 85 1:58:30.642 90.372 145.439 ACTIVE

2 2 27 D. Franchitti Honda/Reynard/Bridgestone 85 1:58:32.321 90.350 145.404 1.679 ACTIVE

3 4 11 C. Fittipaldi Toyota/Lola/Bridgestone 85 1:58:33.886 90.330 145.372 3.244 ACTIVE

4 6 9 M. Jourdain Jr. Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone 85 1:58:34.427 90.324 145.361 3.785 ACTIVE

5 3 33 A. Tagliani Ford-Cosworth/Reynard/Bridgestone 85 1:58:37.903 90.279 145.290 7.261 ACTIVE

6 14 7 S. Dixon Toyota/Lola/Bridgestone 85 1:58:40.069 90.252 145.246 9.427 ACTIVE

7 17 32 P. Carpentier Ford-Cosworth/Reynard/Bridgestone 85 1:58:40.579 90.245 145.236 9.937 ACTIVE

8 19 26 P. Tracy Honda/Reynard/Bridgestone 85 1:58:40.960 90.241 145.228 10.318 ACTIVE

9 18 22 M. Papis Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone 85 1:58:41.718 90.231 145.212 11.076 ACTIVE

10 11 17 O. Servia Toyota/Lola/Bridgestone 85 1:58:43.359 90.210 145.179 12.717 ACTIVE

11 7 4 B. Junqueira Toyota/Lola/Bridgestone 84 1:57:21.225 90.189 145.145 10.172 ACTIVE

12 16 39 M. Andretti Honda/Reynard/Bridgestone 84 1:58:36.130 89.240 143.617 1 Lap ACTIVE

13 1 51 A. Fernandez Honda/Lola/Bridgestone 84 1:58:39.696 89.195 143.545 1 Lap ACTIVE

14 15 5 T. Takagi Toyota/Reynard/Bridgestone 83 1:58:31.649 88.233 141.996 2 Laps ACTIVE

15 20 52 S. Nakano Honda/Lola/Bridgestone 82 1:57:47.069 87.720 141.171 3 Laps ACTIVE

16 13 10 T. Kanaan Honda/Reynard/Bridgestone 75 1:49:07.334 86.600 139.369 10 Laps Contact

17 12 16 M. Dominguez Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone 23 34:34.488 83.818 134.892 62 Laps Mechanical

18 8 12 K. Brack Toyota/Lola/Bridgestone 1 2:58.994 42.236 67.972 84 Laps Contact

19 10 8 J. Vasser Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone 0 1.057 0.000 0.000 85 Laps Contact

20 9 20 T. Bell Toyota/Reynard/Bridgestone 0 1.158 0.000 0.000 85 Laps Contact

- crx girl - 03-19-2002

so, you're ignoring the editing button and sneaking around in sports (the wrong forum) you poseur whore i'm on to you :burnfucker: :crackhead: :burnfucker:

- Arpikarhu - 03-19-2002

sleeper-shouldnt you add the rangers numbers to your name?

Arpikarhu Wrote:sleeper-shouldnt you add the rangers numbers to your name?
What ever do you mean?

[Image: 20020310P_0023.jpg]

[Image: 20020310P_0029.jpg]

[Image: crt17059.jpeg]

- Arpikarhu - 03-19-2002

Quote:What ever do you mean?
when do you start the arena football thread?

Arpikarhu Wrote:
Quote:What ever do you mean?
when do you start the arena football thread?
I'll leave that one to you ArpiDragons80

- Arpikarhu - 03-19-2002

whew!! thought we lost this one for a minute

Oh C'MON!! Does this guy look like White Trash to you?!?!

[Image: crt26418.jpeg]

- Arpikarhu - 03-19-2002

i thought this was nice

[Image: playoff-thankyou.jpg]

Did it ever occur to you that noone cares about Arena Football? Dumbass!

NO MORE MR. ’NICE GUY’
March 18, 2002

By Robin Miller

You would be hard-pressed to find a nicer, more polite young man than Michel Jourdain Jr. Maybe too nice, we all have surmised, during the past six years for the somewhat mean streets of Champ Car racing.

Certainly there have been some flashes of excellence by the second-generation driver from Mexico City, but nothing over a sustained period of time.

Last year, for example, he nearly pulled out a victory in the Michigan 500 before finishing third to earn his first podium visit.

But for the season, he only collected 30 points and wound up 20th in the FedEx Championship Series.

Between his inconsistency, having uncompetitive equipment several times and no teammate to learn from, Jourdain seemed to be one of those guys destined to fall into the cracks of big-time motorsports.

When his longtime ally, Herdez, opted to drop Michel and bring rookie Mario Dominguez on for 2002, it appeared his career might be over at age 25.

“I was worried about the future, absolutely,” he admitted. “You knew there weren't many rides available and the economy has been difficult, but we never gave up hope.

“I have to thank my dad, my family and my friends for the support they gave me over the winter. Then, thankfully, we found Gigante and Office Depot.”

It's no secret that without a major sponsor, Jourdain would not be Jimmy Vasser's teammate at Team Rahal right now.

But last Sunday afternoon in front of his countrymen, Michel made Gigante's and Office Depot's investment look real good. He started sixth, finished fourth and stayed racy for all 85 laps around Fundidora Park.

“In the face of incredible pressure, I thought Michel did a tremendous job,” said Bobby Rahal afterwards. “There was a lot of pressure on him with the new sponsorship and the race being in Mexico.

“You could have excused him if he went off the track or tried to hard, but he never put a wheel wrong. He showed a lot of maturity and I'm very proud of him.”

That was the key to Jourdain's best-ever road course showing. He hung tough for two hours, battled fading brakes and held off Alex Tagliani the final 20 laps. After nearly winning the pole position on Friday (he went from first to sixth in the closing 30 seconds of qualifying), he seemed to be in a groove he never lost.

“Having Jimmy for a teammate really helped a lot and my pit stops were great and we were fast all weekend because Team Rahal gave me a great car,” said Jourdain.

“We were starting to lose the brakes a little near the end so I had to back off and take care of them, but everything else was perfect. What a great start for my sponsors.”

Besides not having a teammate to share feedback and ideas, Michel has never really been pushed to succeed. But that's where Scott Roembke comes in.

“We've got Michel working with a trainer--hard. And I stressed that if he wanted to keep up with Kenny Brack and those guys on the track, he needed to do it off the track as well,” said Roembke, chief operating officer for Team Rahal and Jourdain's eyes and ears in the pits.

“I think he's got plenty of talent. We just need to cultivate it and make sure he stays focused.”

One of the coolest sights of the season opener was the enthusiasm Jourdain generated. The fans cheered him wildly during qualifying, before the race, during every pit stop and after he turned off the engine.

He'd never received that kind of attention. Then again, he'd never deserved it more.

- Arpikarhu - 03-19-2002

Firebirds re-sign three
Valvo, Thompson & Johnson ink new deals
INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (March 15, 2002) - The Indiana Firebirds of the Arena Football League announced today the re-signing of three veterans; Mark Valvo, Leroy Thompson & Van Johnson. Firebirds General Manager Joe Hennessy made the announcement.

"We're extremely excited to have Van, Mark, and Leroy back with us," said Firebirds General Manager Joe Hennessy. "All three guys were instrumental to us winning a championship in 1999 and bringing them all back further proves that winning ArenaBowl XVI remains our sole focus."

Van Johnson (6-1, 200), a member of the Firebirds since entering the Arena Football League in 1999 is fourth on the Firebirds career list in touchdowns scored (45), career receiving yards (1,817), career receptions (170), and all-purpose yards (4,403).

Despite a hamstring injury that hampered him for a majority of the 2001 season, Johnson still managed to catch 45 passes for 471 yards and rack up 765 total return yards, including a career long 50-yard MFG return for a touchdown at Milwaukee in week two. Johnson's best season in a Firebirds uniform came in 2000 when he led the Firebirds in all-purpose yardage with 1,659 total yards.

Leroy Thompson (6-0, 259), the Firebirds career leader in rushing attempts, enters his seventh season in a Firebirds uniform. Over the past three seasons, Thompson's 478 yards rushing is tops among all AFL players and his 26 rushing touchdowns is second only to Tampa Bay's fullback / linebacker, Andre Bowden.

The six-year veteran fullback is second on the Firebirds career list in rushing touchdowns (29) and rushing yards (497). Defensively, Thompson has amassed 61 tackles (46 UT, 30 AT), 3 tackles for a loss, 5.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and 3 fumble recoveries.

Mark Valvo (6-5, 310), entering his tenth season in the Arena Football League, has spent his career in a Firebirds' uniform. His nine seasons of service to the Firebirds is tied for the longest active tenure with the same team. Only Hunkey Cooper of the Arizona Rattlers has played for as many seasons with the same team.

One of the league's most consistent pass protectors, Valvo looks to return from a torn biceps tendon suffered in week 12 of the 2001 season. In nine seasons with the Firebirds, Valvo has amassed 48.5 total tackles (38 UT, 21 AT), five sacks, three forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries.

The Arena Football League will kickoff its 16th season on April 19, 2002 with two new teams, the Georgia Force and the Dallas Desperados, owned by Dallas Cowboys ' Jerry Jones. The AFL now has nine NFL owners who have applied for AFL teams and more to come in the near future. Arena Football continues to be the world's fastest growing sport both nationally and internationally totaling more than 50 teams in the AFL and arenafootball2 collectively.

Firebirds season tickets, which include one pre-season game, seven regular season games, and the Firebirds first home playoff game (if applicable) played at the Conseco Fieldhouse, are on sale now and can be purchased by calling 317.917.2500. Individual game tickets go on sale Saturday, March 16th at 12:00 p.m. Firebirds merchandise is also available at the Home Court Gift Shop. For merchandise information, please call 317.917.2755.