CDIH
XP Pro won't load + other shit - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: XP Pro won't load + other shit (/showthread.php?tid=8751)

Pages: 1 2

- QuickStop - 03-29-2004

ive posted this on 3 other tech forums...maybe you guys know what to do...im playing ut2004..turn it off to go eat some japanese foodr, come back and pc no longer works

i built the pc last week. yesterday i overclocked it to 2.2ghz (from 133x14 to 11x200) and it ran great (43C at full load). this morning i turned it on and updated the CD-r firmware because nero wasnt detecting it as a cd-r drive. after i updated it worked fine. now i just went to turn it on again and it posted, but it says Windows (XP Pro) failed to load. it gave me the option to either start in safe mode, revert to last known good settings, or to start windows normally. so i did the revert to last good settings, but it just stayed on the windows screen (with the scrolling blue bar) for like a minute then it just restarted itself. sometimes when i start it up, it goes straight to the windows screen without saying windows failed, but no matter what it always restarts itself. i turned back the CPU to original settings, but that didnt do anything. i thought maybe the new firmware was screwing something up so i unplugged the cd drive. no change. one time it said that it failed to post. i restarted it, and it posted that time. i then tried to load windows in safe mode, but it says that it failed to load user interface so i couldnt log in. i have no idea what the hell to do.

Barton 2500+ mobile
Asus A7n8x-e deluxe mobo
512 Geil pc3200
160gb Samsung HD 8mb buffer(boot)
120gb Maxtor HD 2mb buffer (storage)
liteon sohc-5232k cd-r/dvd combo drive

- AbeSapien - 03-29-2004

Try doing a repair install of the XP CD. It's possible that the firmware update messed up a registry or boot setting, and XP isnt catching it.

If that doesnt work, put in the XP CD and install it onto a partion on one of your HDD's. Boot into the PC with that version of XP, save your important files, format and start anew.

- Goatweed - 03-29-2004

^^^^^^^what he said

- Weird NJ - 03-29-2004

Once you do get back into Windows, go to System Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Under Startup and Recovery click Settings -> Uncheck Automatically Restart

Doing this will stop Windows from rebooting when the system crashes and you will see the dreaded blue screen of death. Write down every little piece of info and look it up online next time. Just a helpful tip.

I assume you know you should stress test that new machine of yours to make sure the hardware has no internal faults. Programs such as Prime 95 and Memtest should run 24 hours on the machine to see if it can handle the constant load. From there you must determine what the right tweaks for your system are.

- PlasticMan - 03-29-2004

After about the third reload of XP Pro, mine really finally stabilized. I'd say, if you can get it limping, let all the automatic updates run, get all your latest drivers (yeah, the usual), and see how she does then.

If all else fails, since it's a brand new 'puter, ignore Abe's post, just wipe everything clean and start over.

- diceisgod - 03-29-2004

Throw your computer off a bridge and go to Best Buy.

- Mad - 03-29-2004

Dude, you should have bought DELL!

- QuickStop - 03-29-2004

ok...as you probably assumed, this is a pirated xp pro. so when i went to do the recovery, all was fine for about a half hour, then i got a message saying that a file was bad or something and it couldnt find the gateway or something like that. so i clicked ok a bunch of times but it wouldnt go away. so i left it going for 20 minutes to see if it would just go past it, but it didnt so i had to shut down. now i cant even boot from the fucking cd. everytime i get the blue screen of death saying that windows detected an error and shut down to prevent harm to computer. and another thing...the fucking pc doesnt even post half the time now unless i give it like 20 seconds between shut down and start up.

so to ercap my current situation....

if i turn the pc on, and it posts, it says booting from OS, then blue screen of death and i have to restart.

if i change bios and make cd-rom first boot first, i get the exact same screen.

all this is making me think that my motherboard is screwed up but i have no idea how that wouldve happened

Edited By QuickStop on 1080593965

- QuickStop - 03-29-2004

i accidentally said that it wasnt a pirated XP Pro. IT actually is. i editted last post

- Mad - 03-29-2004

<span style='font-size:22pt;line-height:100%'>Thief!!!</span>

It's probably phoning home and they're fucking you.

- AbeSapien - 03-29-2004

If your computer refuses to POST, it might be a cooling problem. Maybe the processor fan isnt working properly? That would cause it to shut down or restart.

As for windows, all you can do at this point is flatten and re-install. Get your last LEGIT copy of windows on there, boot into that, then get another version of the XP ISO file off a filesharing service. Im using the XP Pro edition put out by the group "Razor1911", and it's been working flawlessly since I put it on this rig.

- HedCold - 03-29-2004

you could try installing some form of linux that has software that lets you check different aspects of your hardware
i'm not sure which linux os might have that though

- Hummercash - 03-30-2004

HedCold Wrote:you could try installing some form of linux that has software that lets you check different aspects of your hardware
i'm not sure which linux os might have that though
you mean <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://knoppix.com/">http://knoppix.com/</a><!-- m --> ???

sounds to me like a hardware problem. if you have spare parts that you know work (especially memory), pull the new stuff out and try the old shit in the machine. and write down everything it says on the bsod and post it here.

.//chris

- QuickStop - 03-30-2004

Quote:Get your last LEGIT copy of windows on there, boot into that, then get another version of the XP ISO file off a filesharing service
that is from a dell and i dont think it can be loaded onto a non dell machine.

tomrrow i will type out all the shit it says on the BSOD. i have it written down. something about ACPI maybe and my BIOS not being fully ACPI compatable.

AbeSapien...do you still have that ISO laying around?

what i think im going to have to do is this...thorw the shit hard drive into my dads compaq (what im on now) and reformat it. then proceed to reinstall windows on it and see if that does the trick

- AbeSapien - 03-30-2004

QuickStop Wrote:tomrrow i will type out all the shit it says on the BSOD. i have it written down. something about ACPI maybe and my BIOS not being fully ACPI compatable.

AbeSapien...do you still have that ISO laying around?

what i think im going to have to do is this...thorw the shit hard drive into my dads compaq (what im on now) and reformat it. then proceed to reinstall windows on it and see if that does the trick
Do you mean a ASPI problem? ASPI is a programmers software protocol used to help CD devices communicate with ATAPI and SCSI devices. It's a part of most CD Burner firmware upgrades, so if it is a ASPI error you are getting, it's definetly the burner that fucked you over.

Try this: go into the BIOS and load the default configurations, because at this point, it's definetly your motherboard that's fucking you over, not windows. Maybe if you can load those configurations to the original factory settings, the board will overwrite the addition of the ASPI layer.

Right now, Im thinking you fried your motherboard when you updated that driver. Im not exactly certain, but you might have to RMA the peice back to wherever you got it.

Edit - and no, I dont have that ISO laying around anymore. Sorry.

Edited By AbeSapien on 1080615560

- Jack - 03-30-2004

ACPI refers to Advanced Configuration and Power Interface

Basically, my suggestion is that you either A) Overheated your processor (the beginning of it becoming toast) or B) your memory got overheated.

When you up the front side bus of the processor, it also ups the bus speed on the memory.

Luckily you can get both components replaced 9/10 times by the manufacturer by NOT mentioning the overclock. Just tell them they stopped working.

- Goatweed - 03-30-2004

its reasons like this why I dont trust overclocking - not a bash on you QS, just in general. It seems more trouble than its worth for a few extra frames.

- QuickStop - 03-30-2004

I cleared the cmos the other day and it didnt do shit. im still thinking that the mobo might be fried. and i checked and the error message says this:

"...The Bios in this system is not fulle ACPI compliant. Please contact your vendor or visit <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hardware-update.com">http://www.hardware-update.com</a><!-- m --> for an updated BIOS. If you are unable to obtain an updated BIOS or the latest BIOS suppliad by your vendor is not ACPI compliant you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press F7 when you are prompted to install the storage drivers. The system will not notify you that the F7 key was presses - It will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue installation.

Technical Information

***STOP: 0x00000045 (0x00000011, 0x00000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

Im pretty sure the processor didnt overheat cause it never got past 44 degrees celsius.

The Ram may have

The mobo might be fried

the CD-r drive might have fucked me.

so what should i RMA? the Mobo, CD-r, and RAM?

- QuickStop - 03-30-2004

i should probably RMA the HD just cause i dont know if formatting it anywhere will work

- QuickStop - 03-30-2004

ok...new happenings...

well the hard drive is fine, cause i just reformatted it and am using it the dell (right now).

so i am RMA'ing the mobo, the RAM, and the CD-r drive.

there is no way that processor is fried. i never changed the vcore, and it never rose past 44C.

so i should be up and running within a few weeks.