CDIH
2004 Baseball Season - Good Stuff - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: 2004 Baseball Season - Good Stuff (/showthread.php?tid=8844)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- The Jays - 04-16-2004

For one thing, I was unaware that the Yankees had signed El Duque to a one year contract last month. That's one reason I'm kinda tired of all this A-Rod talk, because I miss out on all these other stories. Also, for some reason, ESPN believes that Hernandez might actually be 38 years old, instead of 35.
I remember when he first joined the Yankees some people were talking that he might actually be 16 years old.

Secondly, the Marlins are fucking sick right now, specifically one Dontrelle Willis. He's 2-0, 0.00 ERA, allowed 9 hits, and on top of that, he's batting 1.000, going 6 for 6 so far! The Marlins havent allowed a run in over 30 innings, and they are 8-1. This kinda puts a damper on the fact that the Mets have the same record as their 1st place cross town rivals.

It's nice to see Cincinatti in first place, and even more nice to see that Ken Griffey hasnt injured himself for the season yet. I was reading an article about how scouts use a players last three seasons when they come up with an assesment of a player, and that they cant do that with Griffey because he's been fucked up for so long. How often do Mariners fans wonder what might have happened if Griffey, Johnson, Rodiguez had stayed on the team?

The Red Sox and Yankees are the two teams that everyone looks at, but they most certainly arent the best two teams in the majors, thus, they arent living up to the hype, at least not yet. Every game that I watch that has Pedro pitching, he never pitches good, or good enough, so I really dont understand how threatening this guy is. Last night he got fucking rocked for 7 runs, 2 of them being home runs. And now, Im never worried when he faces the Yankees, in fact, I usually write it off as a Yankee win. It's the rest of the staff that gives the Yanks trouble.

- Keyser Soze - 04-16-2004

Carlos Beltran is a fucking animal!

- HedCold - 04-16-2004

Quote:It's nice to see Cincinatti in first place, and even more nice to see that Ken Griffey hasnt injured himself for the season yet.

when griffey gets injured i'm blaming you

KC is still god awful. I hope the Mets trade for Beltran before the season is over.

- Galt - 04-16-2004

Wade Miller wins the NL Cy Young this year.

I drafted him in my money league in the 7th round.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 04-16-2004

not only is willis 6 for 6 but he also has 2 hr's.

Drafted D-Train in the 10th round but we dont get points for pitchers offensive stats Sad

- The Jays - 04-16-2004

You know, I was watching PTI yesterday, and they were bitching about how there are just as many balck people in baseball today than there were when the league first started up with blacks, and that just pissed me off.

ALL OF THE BLACK PEOPLE ARE THE BEST BALLPLAYERS IN THE FUCKING LEAGUE! Be happy that you can school the rest of the whites, spics, and Japs in baseball at any fucking position. All of the people who suck are white.

Besides that, they try to give me this shit that theres no baseball in the inner city. You know how many high school baseball teams there are in New York City? 126. Below that, there are little league teams, and each borough has its own little league. Along with that, you have your CYO leagues. Dont blame it on baseball. Blame it on two things 1) space 2) basketball.

You really cant play baseball on asphalt. Besides that, the field takes up alot of space, and requires parkland. For most parks, they need to be paved with asphalt. And a much smaller alternative to diamond shaped baseball fields are rectangular basketball courts, which take up less space, and can be organized better.

Basketball is simply a bigger sport for kids.

there were no blacks in baseball when the league started

- Black Lazerus - 04-16-2004

I will let you slide before this turns into a gay marriage debate.

that was a great debate!!!

- Black Lazerus - 04-16-2004

It just pisses me off that there are obtuse people just like jays that can't see or don't care about the inequalities of this great country of ours, unless it effects them.

- Keyser Soze - 04-17-2004

BUT YOU GOT GOOD PLAYERS!

- The Sleeper - 04-17-2004

Just watch hardball with Keanu Reeves and you'll empathize with the struggles of the young black baseball player.

- Keyser Soze - 04-17-2004

id remark how good the Mets have looked early but i'm bound to be disappointed in a couple of days.

- The Jays - 04-17-2004

I think you are misunderstanding me. 1) All the of black people in baseball are good at the sport. If you look at the breakdown of the league, blacks perform statiscally better.
2) They try to play off that there is an inequality because there is no baseball in the inner city. That's just not true. There are three big sports in NYC. Basketball, football, baseball. In my other post, I said 126 high school baseball teams. I was partially wrong, because I only listed PSAL teams. There are three leagues in NYC; PSAL, CHSAA, and Prep School.

Yes, it's upsetting that there's an inequality. But look at the demographic changes in baseball over the last few decades.
The league is now composed of athletes from South America, Canada, and Asia.

The starting lineup for the Yankees tonight is

K Lofton
D Jeter
A Rodriguez
J Giambi
G Sheffield
J Posada
H Matsui
B Williams
E Wilson
J Vaquez

There's 1 and a half white people in that lineup. I don't think there has ever been a time in the Yankees history where their lineup was so diverse as it is now. There are three and a half black people.

Besides that, look at the increased popularity of other sports since the majors became intergrated. With more teams, increased televison exposure, night games, cable tv, ESPN, other sports have received just as much attention as baseball. And other sports have intergrated more than baseball. Football seems to be the least global sport of the big three, since football has just always been an American only sport. Basketball, under the past 20 years under Stern, has most definatly become a global sport. Just look at how the USA team was elimnated from the world championships (when not playing with NBA athletes)

Yes, there are just as many blacks playing baseball today as there were when the league became intergrated. But today's league has more latin players and japanese players than back then as well. On top of that, there are a lot more sports offered in grammer school, high school and college programs. The list of sports normally found in a NYC high school are: track and field, basketball, baseball, football, soccer, hockey, swimming, wrestling, bowling and volleyball. The number of Olympic sports has increased, as well as the number of professional sports leagues in the US.

I just don't see what there is to lament about when there are currently more opportunities across the board in so many sports than there were 50 years ago.

- The Jays - 04-17-2004

What the fuck was that Scooter segment that just aired??

- Goatweed - 04-17-2004

it was a piece of shit FoxSports segment. Fox sucks.

- Goatweed - 04-17-2004

and apparently showing it once wasn't enough Rolleyes