CDIH
Greatest villain of all time - Movies, tv, comics, books - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Greatest villain of all time - Movies, tv, comics, books (/showthread.php?tid=904)

Pages: 1 2

- Arthur Dent - 03-25-2002

Who is the greatest fictional villain in all of human storytelling?
Who really terrifies?
Who really defines evil?

The Joker? The Clown Prince of Crime?
Hannibal Lector?
Dracula?

Who defines what a true villain is?

- Metalfan - 03-25-2002

My vote goes to that rancid little fellow living in Grump's grandmas box.....scares the begeezus outta me every time I have to go for a "session" with the old festering wound.

- Faceman - 03-25-2002

Aaron Stampler in the Primal Fear series... If you think he was evil in the movie, try reading all the books.
Moriarity...The true personification of a nemesis.
Emperor Palpatine...Only a truly evil man would have a father try to kill his son for not joining him.

- Galt - 03-25-2002

God

- Keyser Soze - 03-25-2002

Why its yours truly, Keyser Soze.

Keaton always said: "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

Edited By Keyser Soze on Mar. 25 2002 at 10:26

- Galt - 03-25-2002

Keyser Soze Wrote:Why its yours truly
I thought you would think that I already said that.

- Gooch - 03-25-2002

Harry Lime, Orson Welles (TheThird Man)

Hannibal Lecter, Sir Anthony Hopkins

Saleiri, F. Murray Abraham (Amadeus)

John Doe, Kevin Spacey (Se7en)

Noah Cross, John Houston (Chinatown)

Darth Vader, David Prowse/James Earl Jones (Star Wars series)

Alan Rickman (Die Hard)

- Arthur Dent - 03-25-2002

Quote:Aaron Stampler in the Primal Fear series... If you think he was evil in the movie, try reading all the books.

Had to go to Amazon.com to figure out what you were talking about. Never saw the film, but it figures a lawyer would make the list.

- IkeaBoy - 03-25-2002

First off British accent, truly a sign of a good villain. Other than that it's important to have a complete lack of morality yet a knowing you're doing something wrong. There's a difference between a villain who doesn't understand what he's doing and one who just does it because, let's face it, it's fun. They know they're evil, they know they're going to hell but they don't care, they live for the day and enjoy watching others in complete pain and misery. Killing is one thing, getting near orgasmic pleasure from the spilled blood of your enemy or just a random person who happened to be near you at the wrong time is another.

Now--

Literature:
Iago- Othello (Shakespeare- fine make fun of me for using Shakespeare but he was an awesome villain)
Claudius- Hamlet (once again shakespeare but he was definitely quite evil)
Satan- I mean, it's Satan.
The Law Officials/The Court/The Government- Franz Kafka's The Trial

Films:
Ernst Stavro Blofeld- the Connery Bond films and that Lazenby one. Unfortunately due to a legal dispute they couldn't use him post Diamonds are Forever.
Stay Puft Marshmellow Man- Ghostbusters. I mean, it's a fucking marshmellow man stepping on churches. you don't get much more evil than that.
Frank Booth- Blue Velvet
Norman Stansfield- The Professional

TV:
Windem Earle- second season of twin peaks. despite that season's faults, he was a quite cool opponent to Dale Cooper
Dr. Forrester/Tv's Frank for the goofy factor

Edited By IkeaBoy on Mar. 25 2002 at 2:12

- Faceman - 03-25-2002

Arthur Dent Wrote:
Quote:Aaron Stampler in the Primal Fear series... If you think he was evil in the movie, try reading all the books.

Had to go to Amazon.com to figure out what you were talking about. Never saw the film, but it figures a lawyer would make the list.
Wow, I think you better read again, Stampler was the killer, not the lawyer, Martin Vail was the lawyer in the book and movie.

- Arthur Dent - 03-26-2002

Just remembered one last night.

Rutger Hauer in "The Hitcher".
Especially the scene near the end with the truck and the girlfriend. Just pure, white knuckle evil.

- Lord Magus - 03-26-2002

OK.. before I start.. let it be known that Darth Vader is the ULTIMATE VILLAIN in my book.. prepared to kill his own son if he fails to fall to evil himself..
that being said.. other good villains:
The Hitcher.. good call Arthur
Hannibal Lecter
Ian McKellan's character in Apt Pupil (can't remember the name right now)
The Master (from Dr. Who british TV series)
Magneto (from Marvel Comics, NOT tv or movies)
The Joker (Jack Nicholson's portrayal epitomized what the Joker truly is)
Grand Moff Tarkin (Star Wars) Let's face it.. destroy a civilized planet to make a point?? EVAL!!

- ziggy - 03-26-2002

Face, I agree that the Emperor is a mean sonofabitch, but Darth just completely takes the cake as the best villain.
Ikea, good call with Stansfield from The Professional - Gary Oldman plays such a good nutcase, and in that he was a sick fuck, killing people after listening to classical music and popping some drugs.
Saddam Hussein was a mean mother fucker in South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut as well. Truly a bad guy, stayed evil right to the bitter end.
Ben Affleck was pretty good as Bartleby in Dogma, had a power-hungry attitude... and you don't get much more evil than picking people up, flying a few hundred feet into the air, and dropping them to the concrete below - SPLAT! :crackhead:

- Sloatsburgh - 03-26-2002

How about Sauron, Vigo, Chucky, Seph., and the sorcerer from "the last unicorn"

- Spitfire - 03-26-2002

I didn't realize that was a book series...I'll have to check it out! Norton was amazing in that movie, definitely rent it if you haven't seen it

Quote:the sorcerer from "the last unicorn"
Mommy Fortuna? I loved that movie...

Ikeaboy, already mention Iago, best Shakespeare villain

The Horned King from The Black Cauldron
The Nothing from The Neverending Story

Morgana & Mordrid in King Arthur

I like movies where every character's a bad guy...

- Skitchr4u - 03-26-2002

Darth Vader
The Kingpin from the spiderman comics
Keyser Soze
Lecter

- GonzoStyle - 03-29-2002

Greatest literary villian has to be 'Iago' from Othello, he is just so masterful and evil.

Movie Villian - I always loved Sydney Greenstreet as Kaspar Gutman in the Maltese Falcon.

- Ken'sPen - 03-30-2002

Szell in the Marathon Man

- Kingpin - 03-30-2002

Quote:Rutger Hauer in "The Hitcher".
Especially the scene near the end with the truck and the girlfriend. Just pure, white knuckle evil.

Holy shit that was a great movie.
Quote:The Kingpin from the spiderman comics

Thank You!!!

- Ken'sPen - 03-30-2002

He said in the comics.
the kingpin here is a wuss.