CDIH
Dear producers of makeover shows - How stupid do you think we are? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Dear producers of makeover shows - How stupid do you think we are? (/showthread.php?tid=9083)

- Galt - 06-18-2004

Everyone of them. Pimp my ride, Extreme Makeover, The Swan, Made, every single one that "surprises" someone on how they are going to change their lives, look, clothes, house, job, whatever.

How gullible do you think the audience is that these people are ALWAYS HOME, and don't realize the camera crew outside their house, or in their house, or at a party at their house, or at work?

Jesus, why do you have to treat the viewing public like we are all retarded?

- HedCold - 06-18-2004

i bet there's a lot of people that actually don't realize that

- Mad - 06-18-2004

Sure beats being shot.

- Kid Afrika - 06-18-2004

It's fucking television. Maybe it's you that takes things a little too seriously rather than just enjoying the entertainment.

That said, there's a show called Overhaulin' on TLC that pulls off the car makeover thing a lot better than pimp my ride. They actually steal the person's car and mislead them for a week while they modify their vehicle.

- Galt - 06-18-2004

Yeah, I'm sure they actually steal the car, and the producers aren't relying on your gullibility to believe that foolishness, and apparently they've succeeded.

Like producers are going to risk the legal problems of "stealing" a car for a week.

Well I should've put steal in quotes, yes, but they do actually take the car without the person's knowledge. The times I've seen it it's been the person's immediate family that helps them get the car, but then the hosts of the show called the owner and pretended to be the police.

It's a world of difference from pimp my ride in the way they pull it off. It's kind of like a "while you were out" only it's cars not houses.

Trust me, I fully understand what you're saying and I don't disagree. I just think that you are missing the entertainment of it. If they just showed things the way they really happen most people would complain that it was boring to watch.

- Keyser Soze - 06-18-2004

i don't really think the element of surprise is a necessary part of the show.

the entertainment is in the makeover process and seeing them polish a turd.

i could care less how surprised the person is really, they shouldnt even bother.

Thank christ they don't make shows to please you.

They have to address the lowest common denominator(sp?) with television shows. Because, as I said earlier, the majority of the public would not watch shows that were made the way we want them to be.

Think about movies...

Every fucking movie they make about something cool like a sport or other activity is always ruined by some sappy love story being intertwined in the action. It's not because that's how the writers want it necessarily, it's because that's how you have to write a movie if you expect to sell it. The same goes for TV shows, well except for Seinfeld, but that was a fluke.