CDIH
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (/showthread.php?tid=9617)

Pages: 1 2

- drusilla - 11-03-2004

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3131622">http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3131622</a><!-- m -->

Yanks reportedly consider trading Posada for Big Unit

FOXSports.com
Posted: 6 hours ago

In order to rebuild a starting rotation that failed them in the playoffs, the Yankees have considered dealing All-Star catcher Jorge Posada to the Diamondbacks for ace Randy Johnson according to the Newark Star-Ledger.

Yankees catcher Jorge Posada is guaranteed $29.5 million in salary over the next two years. (Jed Jacobsohn / GettyImages)
Citing someone close to organizational meetings in Florida last week, the newspaper reported Tuesday that Posada, who has spent his entire career in pinstripes, came under scrutiny because he is one of the few veteran Yankees whose contract does not include a no-trade clause.

And with $173.15 million already tied up in 16 players for next season, a trade involving Posada may be one of the few ways the organization can afford to shore up its pitching staff.

"It would have to be a major, major deal," the unidentified official told the Star-Ledger. "But Posada does give (the Yankees) some flexibility."

Johnson has one year and $17 million remaining on his contract with Arizona. The team hasn't decided whether to trade their dominant lefty or ink him to an extension.

"You certainly want to look at the ballclub and make sure we have the right mix of veterans and younger players," Ken Kendrick, one Arizona's controlling owners, said at a news conference. "And we certainly hope Randy will be among them. Nobody is able to take his place. I think we all know that."

Another possibility reportedly under discussion was sending Posada to the A's as part of a deal for starter Tim Hudson. That would rid Oakland of the right-hander's $6 million salary for 2005, assuming the team chooses to break up its pitching trifecta of Hudson, Mark Mulder and Barry Zito.

A stumbling block to the deal, however, is that Posada is guaranteed $29.5 million in salary over the next two years. That is probably too big a burden for Oakland to shoulder alone. So for Posada to go to the A's, the Yankees would still have to pay a large part of his salary, the Star-Ledger said.

but on a happy note i heard they were looking to wells again. third time's a charm...

Edited By drusilla on 1099467927

- GonzoStyle - 11-03-2004

Yeah I heard about this today and I was disgusted, posada has been the man since the start of the run, atleast since 98.

Posada is one of the few left from the yankee dynasty of the end of the 90's and one of the top catchers in the league, you don't trade away an all star catcher of his caliber. Especially for a 41 year old pitcher, no matter how great.

I was highly upset went they traded soriano for a rod and I will be even more disgusted if they trade away posada, even mentioning it has pissed me off.

There's tons of guys that need to be released or traded but posada is not one of them.

- HedCold - 11-03-2004

he's one you can actually get something of value for

I said in the thread the night that the arod trade was announced that it cheapened the yankees. In a true fans eyes it had to have cheapened it, trading away a home grown guy like soriano was really disgusting to me.

You could get something for posada but it's gonna even further cheapen it in my eyes, trade away the guys that actually did bring in championships, trade away guys who are the only links to the championship days, you can't do that.

I don't care if we get Santana for Posada, i wouldn't do it.

It's like derek jeter said, its not the same team, there isnt the same unity and family feeling, its a collection of stars instead of a team.

- The Jays - 11-03-2004

Ok, this makes no sense. We're gonna trade our Spanish speaking catcher, our rbi and home run producing catcher, our catcher with the good arm, our catcher who has been with the team since 96, we're gonna trade him for a 40 year old superstar pitcher? Bullshit.

Like, yeah, we get Johnson; who's gonna catch for him??? We'd have to get a new catcher too!

FLAHERTY!!

- drusilla - 11-03-2004

navarro is good. both posada & flaherty better watch out. doesn't mean i'm happy about it though.

If they trade posada it's gonna be the straw that broke the camels back I think for me, I wanna wait and see who they don't trade though.

- Arpikarhu - 11-03-2004

anybody who thinks the soriano for arod deal was bad should stop talking about baseball and stick to shilling for poor technique boxing matches.

Arpikarhu Wrote:anybody who thinks the soriano for arod deal was bad should stop talking about baseball and stick to shilling for poor technique boxing matches.
I am not saying it was bad as far as the trade in talent, it was bad in the sense that I finally started agreeing that loyalty was out the window as well as pride and it was about purchasing the ring.

As far as boxing you have no leg to stand on after picking mayorga you pompus old coot.

Nice call on the landslide for kerry as well.

- Arpikarhu - 11-03-2004

as to kerry, i think it was belief in zogby and my own heart that fucked me.
as to mayorga, i thought they were fighting at a different weight but i will not cop out on that.

as to arod/soriano, i thought you were talking player talent, not loyalty.
if you are looking for a team that shows loyalty to its players then go back to the 50's where you belong. no team shows loyalty to its players and no player shows loyalty to a team as long as thier is more money somewhere else.
its a bullshit argument because team loyalty from either side is non-existent.

- Galt - 11-03-2004

Arod for Soriano was a very good deal (money not being a factor - as it isn't for the Yankees). Soriano has been shown to have massive holes in his swing.

Posada for RJ....not so much.

I've heard Giambi + for Helton could be a possibility.

- Arpikarhu - 11-03-2004

Galt Wrote:Arod for Soriano was a very good deal (money not being a factor - as it isn't for the Yankees). Soriano has been shown to have massive holes in his swing.

Posada for RJ....not so much.

I've heard Giambi + for Helton could be a possibility.
1. arod didnt cost the yanks much at all considering that texas picked up alot of that salary plus salary that the yanks dropped that year.

2. giambi for helton? if i were cashman i would jump on that deal so fast that the air friction would cause me to instantly combust.

Giambi for helton I agree with arpi, take that in your sleep. Ofcourse who knows how helton does not playing in a genorous stadium in colorado but it can't be worse than Giambi.

As far as loyalty maybe you're right. But look at 96 and the yankee teams of 97-00. The main core of the team wasnt superstars, it was homegrown guys and yes I admit guys we bought over from other teams but they werent huge stars. It wasn't till they started signing these short term fixes and huge stars that they really began this run, the run of not winning.

It was nice to see us bring up people like we did and having soriano, hole in his swing or not it was the answer to people who say yankees bought their championships. Those 90's teams point out who we bought? Sure we got clemens and a couple others but mainly it was the fact you had a bunch of good and not a few greats, you had a unified team. So when people said you bought this and that we could point out Jeter, pettite, mariano, etc etc. That list is growing short and the teams just not the same nor as good.

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 11-04-2004

I really hope George realizes the fuck up he did and gets Sori back when his contract is up in 2005

- drusilla - 11-04-2004

yeah, i dont agree with that at all. i was not sorry to see him go.

tino's available now too.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 11-04-2004

so is Doc Gooden.

- GonzoStyle - 11-04-2004

doc was a met and will always be a met, tino I wouldn't mind having back.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 11-04-2004

wow its amazing that you knew who i was talking about without even reading my post.

- GonzoStyle - 11-04-2004

fuckin weeeeenie!!