Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And they say they don't try to buy championships
Oh, I don't deny the fact that you have to spend money in order to win, but all you ever hear from Yankees fans is "We did it with people we brought up through the system" or "We don't buy championships" or "Well, every other team could spend the same amount of money if they wanted to."

While the part about the farm system may have been true back in 1996, there is no way anyone can say that with a straight face today.
Roger Clemens, David Wells, Mike Mussina, David Cone, Kevin Brown, Gary Sheffield, Kenny Lofton, Jason Giambi, Darryl Strawberry, Wade Boggs, Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neill. Those are just a few off the top of my head.
You know what I see when I look at that list? An All-Star team paid for by a man with more money than God.

Sure, you mentioned the smaller market teams winning recently, but there is a huge emphasis on the word recently. You don't see these teams in the hunt every year, but you sure as hell see the Yankees there every damn year. Why? Because "God" buys himself an All-Star team every year and when they don't make it all the way, he gets all pissy and goes out and buys even more overpaid players.

Hey, more power to ya, you guys have a great team. I don't deny that at all, but it kinda ruins the sport for everyone else when they go into a season knowing they have to play well beyond their abilities just to have a shot at beating the Yanks.
<center>[Image: FOM.jpg]</center>

Messages In This Thread
And they say they don\'t try to buy championships - by Flock of Moosen - 02-15-2004, 04:46 AM