Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And they say they don't try to buy championships
Quote:Originally posted by The Brain
The Yankee dynasty (for lack of a better term) has always been about the \"core\" of young home-grown players-- which up until this point was Jeter, Williams, Pettite, Rivera (and Posada becoming a starter later on). The rest has always been about veterans and journeyman coming in to fill key roles in other positions, and I don't know who could have been telling you otherwise.

Woo Hoo, 5 whole players! I'm impressed. Rolleyes
As for who has been telling me otherwise, oh that would be just about every single Yankees fan I've ever debated this with in the past. At least you admit that the team is basically an All-Star team bought by Uncle George's billions.

Quote: Why the Yankees should now be penalized for some other team's bad business dealing is beyond me.

And why exactly should other teams that can't possibly afford these players suffer at the bottom of the standings year in and year out while big market teams build "superteams"?

Quote:
Quote: You know what I see when I look at that list? An All-Star team paid for by a man with more money than God.
No, because the Yanks would have Bonds playing left field next season if that were true. :tongue:

Don't dismiss this one so quickly. Knowing Uncle George and his deep pockets, I wouldn't be surprised to see it.

Quote: The Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, Mariners (especially the Mariners, considering the future Hall-of-Famers they let go) all have this in common: even when they lose cogs in the proverbial machine, they don't tear the whole damn thing down and rebuild it from scratch-- they simply find a new cog and reload. More teams should follow this business model, because these teams' continued success brings in revenue by putting fannies in the seats.

I agree wholeheartedly, but like I've said before some teams aren't able to do such a thing. Ya know, that whole money issue causes a problem every so often. :wink:

Quote: You know what: you're absolutely correct. Someone should back in time and assassinate <a href=http://www.baseballreliquary.org/flood.htm target=new>Curt Flood</a> for ever dare challenging the old rules which basically bound players for life (unless traded) to their teams, eventually opening the doors to free agency and all these absurdly expensive contracts.

Okay, first off I have no clue who the hell Curt Flood is, nor do I care. Also I never said players should be stuck on one team all their careers. That's a ridiculous scenario. I still believe though that the league should be fair and more even than it is today. How many years do we have to see the fucking Atlanta Braves win the NL East? What is it now, 10 years straight? That division is a joke because the other teams cannot, for whatever reason, hang with their superstars for a full season.

Don't get me wrong, I totally see your point, but step out of your luxurious Yankee shoes for a minute and look at it through the unbiased lens. It's not just me and it's not just Mets fans/Yankee haters that say these things. It's fans from all over. Why do you think everyone gets behind the teams playing the Yankees in the postseason? It's because everyone is sick and tired of watching "superteam" dominate everyone all because they are able to throw tons more money at players that other franchises can't. Sure, there are others in the league that have the bankroll of Steinbrenner. Those teams that don't pull off these trades that the Yankees do have absolutely no excuseand no right to complain, but others that can't play the bargaining game have every right to have a problem with the state of baseball today.
<center>[Image: FOM.jpg]</center>

Messages In This Thread
And they say they don\'t try to buy championships - by Flock of Moosen - 02-15-2004, 07:05 AM