Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official NY Rangers 2003-2004 Thread
you son of a bitch.

you've awakened a monster.

Be weary.

Flock, forgive me.
bring it on! no matter what you have to say, it doesnt change the fact that the Rangers still suckBig Grin
Bruins hibernate in MSG

Just two days after shutting out the Blue Jackets, the Rangers put together another big win on Sunday, beating the Bruins, 4-1, at the Garden. Mark Messier started the scoring with a power play goal in the second period, while Jussi Markkanen stopped 25 shots, not allowing a goal until the final minute of the game. The Blueshirts will tangle with the rival Devils Wednesday.

source: MSG Network.com

-----

so the Blueshirts are now 3-3 and show signs of being able to play defense. It's pre-season but, I'll take it. :nod:

I also like the fact that they are 2-0 at home during this pre-season. Home games should be won 70% of the time...I dont think they've been above .500 in a number of seasons now.

at least, it seems that way...ech.
I know it's only preseason, and I don't wanna brag, but it would be nice if you guys decided to beat the Devils some time soon, I don't think you've beat us since like what? 1996?!
BLUESHIRTS CLOSE PRE-SEASON

Petr Nedved tallied his fourth goal of the pre-season on Saturday.
The Rangers closed out their nine-game exhibition schedule on Saturday with a 2-1 win over the Boston Bruins at the FleetCenter to finish the pre-season with a 5-4 mark. Petr Nedved and Martin Rucinsky tallied goals and Mike Dunham stopped 27 of 28 shots in the win. The Blueshirts finished their exhibition slate by winning four of their last five contests, including each of their last two road matches, while outscoring the opposition 15-6 over the five-game span. The team will now return to New York where they will prepare for the 2003-04 season opener on Friday, October 10 in Minnesota (7:30 PM ET).

source: NewYorkRangers.com

------

Ok, we've shown we can at least hang with the big boys (beating the likes of the Red Wings, Bruins, Devils...), lets make it happen all season long fellas...

LET'S GO RANGERS! clap clap clapclapclap!!
Stan Fischler Speaks!

Change is coming (for the better) to the Blueshirts

Oct 07, 2003

Promise me you won’t laugh, but I’m offering an unconditional guarantee.

The surprise team in the Met area this year will be the Rangers.

That’s “surprise” in the most positive sense of the word.

Not only will the Satherites make the playoffs (a cymbal-crash, maestro) but they’ll finish higher than many in Rangerville dare to believe.

Skeptics will mock any suggestions that 2003-2004 will be different from the previous six campaigns but they will be wrong for several reasons.

REASON ONE: Glen Sather

Having the president-general manager behind the bench, doubling as head coach will give the Rangers an automatic ten-point boost in the standings.

With all the charisma, savvy and authority lacking in Bryan Trottier, Sather will run a no-nonsense bench and dressing room with discipline the operative word. Right behind discipline will be a word foreign to some Rangers, accountability.

If nothing else, Sather is taking a leaf from Lou Lamoriello’s handbook for champions; emphasizing discipline, responsibility and defense.

In addition stability will be a further asset. When Madison Square Garden CEO Jim Dolan delivered an unequivocal endorsement of Sather last week, it also was a clear message to the players; Sather is here to stay – and you’d better listen up to him!

“The only thing that matters is winning,” says Sather, who understands that “winning” this year is directly equated with a playoff berth.

REASON TWO: Tom Renney

Although Sather has the “head coach” title, make no mistake, the unobtrusive Renney is coaching the team. Slats’ philosophy may be all over the organization but it will be Renney’s hand which will be on the Rangers’ pulse from opening night to the playoffs.

The good news is that Tom ranks among the most respected, yet overlooked, hockey minds in the business and will translate that – the way Trottier did not – to the ice. A Sather-Renney combo will be as good as the Rangers can get. They will infuse the missing – and very vital element – chemistry.

REASON THREE: Solid additions at three key positions.

The acquisitions of Greg de Vries, Martin Rucinsky, Chris Simon and Jussi Markkanen will be pivotal.

de Vries is a tough, dependable defenseman, reminiscent of a younger Ken Daneyko.

Rucinsky will snugly fit in with his old buddy, Eric Lindros – remember how well they played together in the dim, distant past? – providing New York with a solid second line.

Bobby Holik must prove he can thrive more effectively on Broadway.
Simon is a new, improved and younger version of Sandy McCarthy, who lost Sather’s confidence and no longer was a useful Ranger. Flanking Bobby Holik, Simon will return to his formerly effective intimidating self.

Markkanen is the sleeper overlooked by everybody and his Uncle Dudley.

With Dan Blackburn destined for a season in Hartford, Sather requires a solid back-up goaltender to Mike Dunham. Buried in Edmonton for two years, Markkanen provides an experienced upgrade from Blackburn. His artistry has been hidden by geography and the fact that nobody – except Albertans – know what’s happening with the Oilers. Hence, a neat netminder can slip between the NHL cracks.

REASON FOUR: Revived veterans

Alexei Kovalev, Bobby Holik, Eric Lindros, Darius Kasparaitis and Anson Carter must be more effective on Seventh Avenue than they were in 2002-2003. It’s not only me saying that but the Law of Averages as well.

Most important, The Big E – as in Eric – spent the pre-season throwing caution to the winds; not to be confused with Hurricanes.

Lindros was particularly impressive bopping Devils, left, right and sideways last week at the Garden; a fact that did not go unnoticed by fans and teammates alike.

“Eric has a different approach that I didn’t see last year,” says Holik. “If he keeps it up, it’s going to make this team better.”

Devils captain Scott Stevens even notices the difference on Seventh Avenue. “I think they’ll make the playoffs,” says Stevens. “They’re due to have a better season. With the people they have they should make it.”

With all that optimism there remains several question marks that realistically look like QUESTION MARKS. To wit:

MIKE DUNHAM: Imported last season to plug the Mike Richter hole, Dunham played commendably for 43 games under difficult conditions.

Uncertain is whether Mike can do it over the long haul and remain injury-free.

ANSWER: Yes.

MARK MESSIER: At age 42, The Captain must adjust to a diminished role while maintaining his leadership on the ice and in the room. Will it happen? ANSWER: Affirmative, because Mess desperately wants to exit his career on a positive note.

“I’m not thinking about how much I’ll play,” says the Captain, “or who I’ll play with. All I think about is discipline, accountability and being responsible for my actions on the ice.”

Sather: “If Mark plays four minutes one night, he’s not going to pout and throw his stick in the corner.”

DEFENSE: Minus the injured Brian Leetch during training camp, the backline – rarely a force last year – still concerns the high command. Can it be strengthened by fifteen-percent?

ANSWER: See me on Thanksgiving!

The pair of keys – apart from the obvious, which is Leetch – includes Vlad Malakhov and de Vries. It wouldn’t hurt, either, if Tom Poti toughened up a bit in his own end.

“There’s no need to feel added pressure,” says Poti. “We’ve got a lot of great defensemen who are ready to play major roles for the team.”

The Rangers may have gotten a sleeper in Sheldon Keefe. (AP)
Unlike the two other Met area sextets, the Rangers made a most interesting waiver draft move, obtaining forward Sheldon Keefe. This kid -- if Sather can tame him -- can be a North American version of Esa Tikkanen. Keep an eye on him.

It is urgent that the Rangers accentuate the positive, hustle in a manner not seen at the Garden in recent years and show pride in the uniform and the city.

Without a doubt, I understand the skepticism. As one NHL official whispers, “The Rangers are a wheel without a hub; Messier can no longer lead the team.”

That may be but it does not mean that others are incapable of stepping up; namely Lindros and Holik.

PREDICTION: The Rangers have suffered a surplus of bad luck. I feel a change coming on and a good one. No question, the talent is there. If the chemistry is added – and serious injuries are avoided – the club will surprise. I like them for no less than fourth overall in the Eastern Conference!

source: MSGNetwork.com
---------

I can only pray that Mr. Fischler turns out to be right.

LETS GO RANGERS!!!!
and the Blueshirts are off to another stellar start this season, 0-2............i hope they lose the next 80
Quote:Originally posted by TheGameHHH
and the Blueshirts are off to another stellar start this season, 0-2............i hope they lose the next 80

<a href=http://1998.calicehockey.com/mr_t/clumsy.wav>*&%#^$!!!</a>
3-1 defeat to the wings!!!!!

rangers are makin the playoffs.

and to all you devil fans who has a better record now? so much for the defense givin up 5 to Boston.
my family looks out for me,
like friends our story never ends.
we've run into the fire and somehow water comes to save us.
there are so few we can depend on,
with blood there is an honor.
we act like we don't care,
but it's so deep inside - H2O
We have the same amount of points