Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you do?
The Danny Glover thread got me thinking, we're all so quick to judge the powers that be. I think it's easy to judge, but not so easy to do the right things if you're in power, but assuming you were, what would you do if you were in charge?

Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of immediately that would be feasible without coming up with more money etc. would be to make prostitution legal. I see no downside to that at all.

The other thing I'd like to do is make sure that everyone gets an education, and if they're not qualified for higher education, make sure that they are qualified with a trade/marketable skill. Not sure how I'd make this happen, but I'd put some time into it.

OK, I need more coffee before I can think deeper.
You are like the Jack Handy of a new generation.
[Image: 0836232062.m.gif]
legalize prostitution?

MYLF for Prez! Wink

Now, when you say "power", what kind of power do you mean?

Just political? Supernatural? a little bit of both?

If I had political clout to the point where my word could become law, I'd legalize pot, coke, and heroin...on a trial basis. A probationary period if you will...for like 180 days.

I'd tell the people.."yo, this is a trial, if y'all don't roon things, the law will stay. If y'all start actin' like drug-crazed assholes, back it goes to the way it was before."

Now, if I had supernatural power...I'd go to the Palestine/Israeli region and just start smackin' bitches around until both the Palestinians and the Israelis started teaming up against me. At that point, I'd stop them and say - "why is it that you assholes can unite against me but you can't settle your differences over this land...share, you fuckin' idiots...

Or face my supernatural wrath."

Palestinian/Israeli problem - SOLVED.
I agree with "victimless" crimes,

I would rework the drug policies too....

Too much money is being wasted on fighting crimes on a supply side.

Fighting it only drives up the profits,
and makes someone willing to take a risk.
Quote:Originally posted by fhore twentee
Now, when you say \"power\", what kind of power do you mean?

I meant political power. If you were President, what would you do differently?

OK, you'd legalize pot, coke and heroin, and what would you do with all the addicts who couldn't support their habits?
we have that already,
and since prices are inflated it's worse than it would be.....

I don't know....exactly,
If they stole, they would go to jail. I would not open the floodgates to rampant drug induced crime.

I WOULD make it legal, make it available,
BUT fight it's use on a Demand side program. For a HELL of a lot less money.

streetgangs and organized crime make a LOT of cash on the War Against Drugs.
Quote:Originally posted by KensPen
You are like the Jack Handy of a new generation.
[Image: 0836232062.m.gif]
Must have been the pot I smoked this morning Rolleyes
Quote:Originally posted by KensPen
we have that already,
and since prices are inflated it's worse than it would be.....
Ok, that makes no sense to me, being that prices are high, doesn't it make it harder for people to get drugs vs. making them cheap and availabe anyway?

Now, I don't know anything about the stuff beyond what I read, but from what I hear, heroin is pretty addictive so you make it legal? I'm sorry, explain to me what good can come of making it legal, because I don't see the upside.
Quote:Originally posted by MYLF
Quote:Originally posted by fhore twentee
Now, when you say \"power\", what kind of power do you mean?

I meant political power. If you were President, what would you do differently?

OK, you'd legalize pot, coke and heroin, and what would you do with all the addicts who couldn't support their habits?

remember...only on a trial basis...

the addicts? what would I do with them?

nothing. if they want treatment, there are programs for that, aren't there? and as long as they didn't commit crimes to get their drugs...fine by me.

Addicts have my sympathy in the sense that I do believe that addiction is a very real thing and I know that there is a struggle. However, it is up to that individual to rise up and face the addiction in order to conquer it.

So, ok..I guess I'd make sure that there were treatment programs available.

However, you only get one chance at a government funded hospital/rehab stay. And all who admitted themselves to the program would be forced to stay until you are no longer addicted. However, if the addict changes his/her mind and leaves AMA (against medical advice...) then, good luck to them for they would be on their own.

Some say drug use is a "victim-less crime" I say that there IS a victim - the user him/herself.

It's all about promoting the sense of responsibility. I do believe that you can be a responsible pot smoker or coke sniffer. (heroin? eh, don't know about that but if you're going to legalize pot & coke, might as well "go all the way" hehehh)

Honestly. Moderation is the key.

another thing I'd do if I were President:

I'd force all of the four major sport leagues (MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA) to build a fund of some sort. This fund would be for all of the teachers who are overworked and underpaid. So, go ahead, overpay the atheletes but you WILL give back to the community.
people who WANT drugs get drugs,

They do a LOT of crime to raise the cash to buy it, but if you want it, you WILL find someone to sell it to you.

We have ridiculously tough laws on the books,
but that HAS NOT stopped drug use,

we spend MILLIONS fighting it,
and it hasn't stopped,

I don't think by making some drugs legal,
it will turn people into junkies,

but by selling it, taxing it, and spending a little cash on rehab and demand side policy, I think we would do more to curb drug use, and cut into the profits of crime.