CDIH

Full Version: these are the people i go to school with
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
an actual opinion piece submitted by somone at my school to our newspaper. he has his own opinion column apparently (not like i read the thing, i'm just the business manager, as long as people tell me the ads were actually put in its fine with me)

Unifying the Church
By A Real Goober
Staff Writer

As Cardinals from around the globe meet in the secret conclave to elect the next pope, a religious debate has arisen about how to unify Christians in the United States and the world. As someone who grew up under the Baptist and Catholic traditions I can personally identify with this struggle.

During his life, Pope John Paul II worked effortlessly to reach out to people of all faiths, including those of the various denominations of the church. In fact, many have argued that that no other religious leader in recent history has done so much to reach out to people of all faiths or within their own religious community. However, when one examines US churches there are deep divisions.

It is often said there is no more segregated places in the US on Sunday mornings then churches. There are “Black” churches, “White” churches, “Korean” churches, “Hispanic” churches, Lutheran churches, Episcopalian churches Pentecostal churches, Baptist churches, Greek Orthodox churches, Roman Catholic churches, and hundreds of other churches that separate Christians by race, nationality, ethnicity, denomination, and other factors. While I do not propose that such distinctions are unimportant, as these distinctions can help those who do not speak English or cannot identify with the culture of existing churches. However, I do not believe that such distinctions serve the greater good of Christianity as a whole.

Christians no matter what denomination, nationality, race, or ethnicity they are share the idea that Christ is at the head and the center of the church. Furthermore, (barring additional texts and slight moderations) all Christian churches share the Bible, and its teachings.

In a discussion I had with a IVCF about he church, I was told Christ did not shed his blood for 70 percent of Whites, 12 percent of blacks, 50 of Catholics, 2 percent of Pentecostals, or any other group. However, Jesus shed his blood for all who would accept him; and therefore, accept the Father (God). Why then do we as Christians argue that one church is better then the other and create division within our church (Christianity as a whole)? I am not a black Christian, or a Baptist Christian, or a Catholic Christian – I am a Christian period.

Similarly, this idea can be applied to Christian worldwide. I am not arguing that distinction such as language and culture should be ignored, but that they should be used a tool to separate Christians globally. A Christian in France should be proud that his church teachings are taught in French, but he or she should not use this as a tool to downplay the language or traditions of a Christian in Brazil. Such arguments underplay the teachings of the churches.

Ultimately, I argue that Christians should not let distinctions such as language, race, ethnicity, denomination, and other factors divide the church. I believe Pope John Paul II’s initiative to reach out to all Christians worldwide should serve as a model for healing divisions within the church. His death should not symbolize sadness, but should stand as a symbol of hope and optimism for the future. In this same spirit, it is my hope and my prayer that Christians worldwide can work together to unify the church. If not how can the Christian community criticize the ills of the world when it does not even recognize the problems within its own church?
so all the christians should just all simply say, "hey, we're all right. lets be whole again," and not solve the issues that actually seperated them in the first place?
apparently
since you understand this so well i guess you should be pope!
sweet! light up the white smoke
I've never dreamed of taking a roadtrip to the Vatican before, but I'm game.

I can come, right?
That boy needs some more english classes
He also needs some lessons in Christianity.

Quote:Why then do we as Christians argue that one church is better then the other and create division within our church (Christianity as a whole)? I am not a black Christian, or a Baptist Christian, or a Catholic Christian – I am a Christian period.

You know, instead of asking your readers questions regarding the topic of the article you are writing about, it's much easier to get a priest on the phone, and spend five minutes running down exactly why there is the Roman Catholic Church, and then there is everyone else.

It's not something they teach you as part of the catachism, rather, it's something that's pretty important towards the understanding of basic human history, and I find it quite amazing that a university level student is asking questions, that are answered by things such as the Great Schism, or the Inquistion, or the Reformation, or the formation of the Anglican Church. We live in an age of terrorism, and I'm pretty sure alot more people are familiar with Islam. Christianity intertwines with Islam, in fact, some of the world's greatest wars were fought because of the spread of Christianity.

Why can't we be united? We've had about 1000 years since we started interpreting the Good News differently, and started coming up with new agendas to get the word out there. We believe in different things. Protestant churchs don't put their focus on a centralized human figure. Catholics don't take the Bible literally like every redneck Baptist does. Some don't believe in Mary, others believe that Catholics take human beings and turn them into Gods when they talk about the communion of saints.

I don't mind people being totally against religion, I do mind when people attempt to make a statement about it, and can't come up with a coherent thought, because they have no clue about what these religions are. It's been made apparent through the past few weeks that for all the bitching that goes on regarding religion, I have yet to see someone able to fully critique the Church, and actually showcase a good amount of knowledge regarding individual religions. For all the brilliant minds on the internet, the number one response is "KID TOUCHERS! LOL!. "

Way to go, guys.
compared to you confused blood drinkers, we jews rock!
Jesus would kick Moses ass.
Who knew that there was this giant chasm between Korean Christiants and Protestant Christians? Are there hate crimes against each other and roving gangs?