CDIH

Full Version: What do you do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
As some of you whom I talk to may know. I been really stressed and pained by work the last year or so. After I lost my business last year, dealing with bankruptcy and then 3 months of unemployment only to be stuck in a dead end job with no pay.

I been contemplating my future the last month or so. i came to the conclusion of possibly going back to college for a second degree. At 23 I still have the luxury of time on my side. I figure with the credits from my second degree which is an Associates I never finished I can get a Backelors in 3 years.

So I was kicking around some ideas about what I should go back for and have several choices. I was wondering what do you guys do and what kind of schooling you all had? Or if you are still a student what you are studying.

At present I am a service manager for a piano corporation. I have a Bachelors in business and accounting. I've held 2 jobs over the last 4 years. The first entailed being "operations manager" in my business, which meant running daily operations as well as marketing and bookeeping. Now I handle a staff of people and all service requests/complaints and crunch numbers for sales and promotions.

How about you?
Full time student at John Jay College (Majoring in Forensic Science), work part-time* off the books in a Comic Book Store.

* "Part-time" meaning once a month If Im lucky.
student at njit computer science major.
i don't do anything else besides complain about being bored. its fun.
After spending four years acquiring my Bachelors of Fine Arts with a focus in Illustration, I am currently employed as a digital archivist.. stroing and retrieving the electronic files used to produce college textbooks on CD.
Basicly, I'm a glorified version of Rob Schneider's "Making copies" guy from SNL
i've got a really hard job.i have to do lots of number crunching, writing, research, translating, frequent overtime and lots extra work done at home.or, for those of you who dont know, high school.i'm probably gonna be getting a summer job at either a) a dunkin donuts being put in around the block from me, b)a comic book store or c)cvs pharmacy
I don't know how much this will help, but I'm a mechanical engineer

I'm actually finishing up my fifth year of school (full time) now to get my BE (Bachelor's of Engineering) but I've been working as a mechanical engineer for 4 years now. I currently work for Johnson and Johnson part-time doing machine design stuff, our department builds the machines that make the product. Before that, I worked in microwave components (no, not the stuff that heats your food, think radar and communications) for a company that sold it's crap to either airline companies or the military.

It seems like neither is really the field that you are looking for, but if you ever wanted to get into a technical field, just drop me a line. I'm about the same age as you, and even though the job market still sucks ass, it's not that bad if you know where to look.
they say that there is an extreme shortage of accountants right now and that people with accounting degrees can get excellent placement.
Well honestly the job market is real rough for almost any field you can pick right now. With the events of 9/11 the ripple effect was felt. Plus in my opinion with the invention of the internet and web it has finally begun hitting us. I was discussing this just today with a friend, You can basically learn so much and find so many courses and info online that people are just basically becoming smarter and smarter. Granted maybe they aren't getting smart in the meaning of being well rounded and intelligent in worldly experiences but they can and are learning specifics for a field of work. Look at what most of these 12 year olds can do online, (no not froy, lol.)

The market is being overfilled right now, and most people while experienced are becoming obsolete. I want to do into an entirely different field. My cousin is an editor for VH1, he does post production work. He went to the same college I did but he majored in Television and radio. I am interested in the work he does.

Plus basically the old addage is true, it is who you know. You can know everything and then some but if you don't have ties you got nothing. How many people you know who are where they are through a friend or a friend of a friend or a family member. 80% of the jobs I've had since Junior High have been through other people who passed on a word. So I also want a field where I will have that edge as well.
Quote:they say that there is an extreme shortage of accountants right now and that people with accounting degrees can get excellent placement.

Hey don't look at me, I asked sean for [sarcasm] tags.
i go to high school. i hate it. next year i will go to college and hopefully i wont hate it. right now im a busboy. yes it sounds bad, but i do NOTHING. i sit in the lounge and watch tv, and get around 9-10 bucks and hour. its not so bad.
busboy who does nothing and gets paid 9 to 10 bucks an hour??

you work at Lake Mohawk??
I'm a business student at NYU probably majoring in Marketing and Statistics (the only 2 majors in business I can tolerate). I just got a sweet gig at this company on Wall Street where I watch baseball games and log each play on a java applet, and the info is sold to MLB.com for use on their website. Althought its a part-time job, it may just be the perfect career for me.
i was being serious
Arpi I love you, ya fucker... STOP HATING ME!!!!

Seriously though, one of the main reasons for my decision to go back to school was also my hatred for my work. I am just not the type to crunch numbers all day. I think most of you can tell I am a pretty well spoken and opinionated person. I am also very outgoing and shyness is not a problem. I need to be "out there" so to speak. Business is just not something I like doing. I am good at what I do, don't get me wrong. I am very good at what i do, the business failing was trully not my fault there were many extenuating circumstances but whatever it was a painful experience.

I do not expect to be rich, to have a nice boss or to even get along with co-workers. That's a rare thing in the real world, bosses are assholes and co-workers like you are always looking out for themselves. It's a dog eat dog world and that is understandable. I am not fooling myself in anyway that everything can be rosy. But if there is one thing i feel a person should have is a content feeling and happiness with their work. Unless you trade that off for a good salary.

I would rather give up a huge salary and be content in my work. Just be happy at doing what i do for a living, to be glad to do what you do. That's something i want and feel a person needs in order to actually be productive at what they do.
its 9-10 including tips. it depends if we are busy or not
Well after I quit I'll be looking for a part time job when I go to school hopefully in the fall. Hybrid , so what's up bro?
i cant complain. i work 3 hours a day, make incredible money, dont have to wear a tie, and get free tickets to any show or concert. the only bad thing is that i am at my salary plateau. cant really move up from here without really expanding my hours and playing major league kiss ass.

Edited By Arpikarhu on April 05 2002 at 02:38
Quote:I just got a sweet gig at this company on Wall Street where I watch baseball games and log each play on a java applet, and the info is sold to MLB.com for use on their website.
so like, when people use mlb.com to follow the games, you're that guy that updates that little java dealie with all the in game stats?
Quote:so like, when people use mlb.com to follow the games, you're that guy that updates that little java dealie with all the in game stats?
Nah, I log every play, and it is converted into a digital clip of that play, which is then used by mlb.com to show highlights of various games. At least that's what I think happens.
you can be a busboy with me gonzo, we just hired a 39 year old big fat mexican guy. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6