CDIH

Full Version: Joe Montana's Fall From Grace
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:SUPER BOWL XL NOTEBOOK
3-time MVP Montana turns down star-studded get-together

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/02/06/SPG9QH3GD91.DTL">http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... H3GD91.DTL</a><!-- m -->

Detroit -- Joe Montana, the only three-time Super Bowl Most Valuable Player, was one of only three Super Bowl MVPs who turned down the NFL's invitation to take part in pregame ceremonies for Super Bowl XL.
Montana also declined the league's invitation for a news conference with all the MVPs after Commissioner Paul Tagliabue's Friday news conference.
"We were disappointed we weren't able to work it out with him," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations.

The former MVPs were guaranteed $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit. The NFL also provided each former Super Bowl MVP with two first-class airplane tickets, a hotel room, a Cadillac for the weekend, two tickets to the game, two tickets to the Friday night commissioner's party, two tickets to a Saturday night party and two tickets to a Sunday tailgate party. There also were opportunities for paid appearances arranged by the NFL.

[b]To sources close to the league said Montana refused to attend over money. One of the sources said Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 for appearances if he came here, and the league said it would not make that guarantee. Tom Brady, who has won the Super Bowl MVP award twice, handled the coin toss to start the game, making him the first active player to perform that chore.

My image of Joe has been crushed.
Did the NFL not make him rich enough when he played?
wow, what a loser.
a sports figure wanting to milk $$ from the league? you're kidding me!!

I'm not defending him, but I'm not surprised either.
Maybe he just didnt want to do it. Then asked for an absurd amount of money he knew they wouldn't give him.
Goatweed Wrote:a sports figure wanting to milk $$ from the league? you're kidding me!!

I'm not defending him, but I'm not surprised either.

You're not putting Montana in the same boat as T.O. are you?
And don't give me that naive shit, either.
We all thought Joe was better than this, even you.
youre right, I did - but again, in this day & age nothing surprises me when it comes to Athletes & appearances/$$.
I know but it falls in line with not wanting to believe your grandfather jerks off or your mother grits her teeth & growls when she's getting it from behind.
Tequila Wrote:Maybe he just didnt want to do it. Then asked for an absurd amount of money he knew they wouldn't give him.

Excellent point, best way to get out of a gig is ask for the moon and if they give it to you, laugh all the way to the bank.
i notice no montana or bradshaw...who was the other missing mvp?
they owed it to us to be there.
bradshaw said he doesn't like to go to superbowls cause there are too many people & he'll only go if its on fox & he's working. he likes to spend every sunday outside of football season taking his daughter to church & then lunch.
plus bradshaw as basically avoided pittsburgh or anything steeler related since he retired. but i still want to know who the other mvp was
Johnny Unitas
unitas didnt "turn down" the invitation, he's dead. the article says turn down
ahahaha
all of a sudden the credibility of the source is in question
Quote:Montana was asked by the NFL to be a part of a pregame presentation with all of the surviving Super Bowl MVPs. Montana, former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw and former Dolphins defensive back Jake Scott (who was vacationing in Australia) didn't show up.
I think it's a disgrace......
It was a nice little homage to the history of the game.... getting them all together.

The NFL would not sell one more ticket, or make one more dollar if Montana showed up. It wasn't like he was being screwed his due of the gate....

If he can't show up for the honor, and show a little class, then fuck him.

he dropped a LOT in my book.
i bet that is one scary fucking book.