CDIH

Full Version: Router problem - Is it broken?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
so, i have 2 pc's on a router. the problem is, i can only get one online at a time. it seems to be totally random, i reset it, the laptop works, i reset it again, only the desktop works, again, and neither works and so on... :pissed:

so, does this mean my router's broken? the only thing that i can think of that it might be is the dynamic address thingy. my cable modem assigns a dynamic ip address so, should i set the router with static ips for my computers? their instructions weren't very clear on this, but when i first set it up i left all the setting the way they were and it worked, for a while anyway. both comps have xp and the instructions and their tech support site refuse to acknowledge any os after win2000. so, any help? thanks.
this sounds like a good question for maynard...........
My best advice is to wait for the techies to reply to this before you kick or throw any thing, if not, your computer will wind up like: :poopain:
sounds to me like you have a hub not a router

if you run 1 it works fine but if you try both it doesn't. i had a similar problem and maymay gave me a few suggestions that actually worked! i took his advice and bought a router....problem solved.

Edited By LZMF1 on April 09 2002 at 8:24
Don't trust those tech support bastards. I'd rather get help from a talking vagina than them.

And it probably is a hub.
i had this problem with my router but i'll be damned if i remember what had to be done to get it to work. play around with the ip addresses because it was something with that i think.
if i had a hub i would've said my hub was broken. it's a linksys etherfast cable/dsl router. i've had two computers working on it before, but one day it accidentally got unplugged and only worked on one, then the computer broke so it wasn't an issue, but now i have a new one and we can't get them both online at the same time. thank you again for your help.
Even imbeciles don't confuse hubs for routers. A switch maybe, but not a router. If you have more than a couple Ethernet ports on the thing, it ain't a router. And SHAME on those who insinuated this information.

I certainly can't help you with your problem (have you rebooted?), but I sure as shit know the fucking difference between a hub and a router, and I would assume that anyone who even knows the word "router" can tell the difference between them as well
thank you galt. i must say i had to restrain myself there cos i wasn't signed in as myself and i'm just too godamn fuckin lazy to change the signin shit. but come on, if i know what a router is, wouldn't that be what i have? however, i'm now on my laptop, and his desktop's not online. it's seriously eating away at what little sanity i have left. oh, and to top it all off, the ps2 driver that we got to play newer movies on the dvd gets a disc read error. could somebody please kill me now, thanks a lot :crackhead:
after you unplugged the router did you try pressing that little reset button on the router? you know those little buttons that you need like a needle or pen to get to to press. its worth a shot
Tricia, IM me when you're stinky ass wakes up.
I have a nice Porter Cable Laminate router...It fuckin' rocks!
DUDE! Can I borrow that? I was going to rent one, but it would be much better to borrow one.
You gonna do some formica work?
No, I just like to make cool edges on pieces of wood.
If you own a router, and it's not Cisco, you've wasted your money. I'm not talking Cable or DSL, because that is just peon shit. I mean the real business-level routers. It just baffled me when I would see companies try and save 25% on some shit-ass router, and invariably the thing would fail.
galt ur talkin about my school....and also crx did u try releasing and renewing all of you ip addresses, also if that doesnt work there is a reset button in the back of the router hold it for 10-15 seconds and let go and then see if your comp works right
Not only does my school have cisco routers but they extra ones just for us students to fuck around with. So take that bart with your shitty school.

Edited By AdolescentMasturbator on April 11 2002 at 10:30
Install Linux.
thanks everyone, but don't worry, crisis averted, i just bought a new one and i'm gonna return the broken one, that's not wrong right?
Pages: 1 2