CDIH

Full Version: Old books
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What books did you read when you were a kid? Your favorites?

I thought about this because I ran across a web page which reminded me and got me all sentimental.

Choose Your Own Adventure

My absolute favorite book though when I was very little was Mike Mulligan And His Steam Shovel. I can also remember reading an awful lot of those choose your adventure type books. It was the early to mid-80's so there were tons of different kinds of those books back then.

I also remember reading some Jack London stuff at a very early age.
When I was a kid I really dug those books you showed but not that particular series. I never got into Dungeons and Dragons however they put out a series of Choose Your Own Adventure style paperbacks that I fucking loved. I must have like 30 or so of them. You'd read like 2 or 3 pages and then have to choose what direction you want to go from there. You could read the book several times and make different decisions and the plot would take all different twists and turns. Most of the time the plot takes place with you in the first person which made it even more interesting.

By the way, why in Gods name is this in Noise Pollution?

Edited By Keyser Soze on April 24 2002 at 01:20
Quote:Choose Your Own Adventure
the best were the ctv-i things they had (or still might have, don't know) on staten island cable. you chose which way to go and stuff over the phone and watched it happen on tv. do other cable services have or ever had this great feature?
I loved Choose Your Own Adventure. I would wager that I read 90% of the ones they printed. All the librarians at the library knew I liked them and when they got a new one they held it for me. I also remember around the age of 8 or 9 I read the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. That book kicked ass. As I got older I got into the Star Wars books and other works of Science Fiction. I also read many of the books to some of the movies that came out around that time.
Maybe it's just me but what does this have to do with music?
in the spirit of this well placed thread -

Whaddayado?
1 - move this to entertainment
2 - leave it here so maynerd can explain his actions
Lets all point and laugh at the Admin, :roflmao:
don't we do that anyway?
My favorite book series as a kid was the Three Detectives. It was about these three boys who went around solving mysteries. The one boy's uncle owned a junkyard. They had their clubhouse in an old RV buried under a mound of junk. And one of the boys won a contest for 24 hours of limo service. The boy found a loop-hole in the wording of the contest so that they got the limit for 24 hours of use, not 24 hours straight, so every time they needed to go somewhere they couldn't bike to, they called for the limo.
In the later books, they met Alfred Hitchcock who would give them advice on their mysteries.
Ya know? I was posting in here when somebody moved this thread and now my post is gone. :disappointed:
Some of my favorite childhood books were Dr. Suess. Last night my son wanted a bed time story so I read "A Wasket in the Basket", "Go Dog Go" and my all time favorite suess book "Green Eggs and Ham".
Whoa, was this really in Noise Pollution? OOps. :fuggin:
Mein Kampf
I don't remember all of the names of the books, but the author was Lloyd Alexander. The main character was Taran Wanderer or something. I remember one of the books was titled "The Black Cauldron".

I wish I still had them. I'd probably reread them.

I suppose that they are kind of like the Lord of the Rings.

And the Hardy Boys when I was really young.
lesee... books I read as a kid...

First book I can remember reading was "Mr Pine's Purple house" which was a children's book about individuality.

I read the Hobbit at age 6, and the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy at age 7, I've read them at least once a year since then.
I WAS Choose your Own Adventure, it was great escapism. I also had a fairly wide collection of AD&D Adventures books (the ones Keyser was talking about) a few similar types that had some pen and paper bookkeeping. Because of my obsession with LotR I got severely sucked into Fantasy literature, and I also read a lot of horror and mythology. I think i plodded my way through Dracula at 11.
Choose your own adventures were/are my all time favorite, and anything with vampires in it. I always loved vampire stories, even though they used to scare me to death when I was a kid cause I thought they were real. My Dad finally got sick of me being scared to go to sleep at night, and came up with a mathematical proof that vampires couldn't possibly be real..I still love the stories though.
Yeah, vampires are cool, but even THEY have room in their PM box. {Big Grin}
I'm surprised no one has recalled the niggah with the brain- Enyclopedia Brown. He solved cases and tapped some fine booty. I also think I read some history books or computer books- none of which stuck with me, after all they were probably crappy books. I really don't remember much of my child hood except that I always intended to read Stephen King's IT.
as i kid, i was a mystery fan, so i used to love the boxcar kids and encyclopedia brown.then, arnd 4th grade, i got my current book tastes and started reading the chronicles of narnia and the origional star wars trilogy, and those kept me into my current stuff of advanced, real, adult literatue
The Chocolate War and this book of things to do on a rainy day called "Good Times". Good Times is my all time favorite childrens book. I could spend hours and hours making intricate paper airplanes and doing all sorts of other things they had in this book. It truly rocked.
Pages: 1 2