CDIH

Full Version: For the braintrust - An intellectual conversation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, it seems that some folks are disgruntled with the idle banter that get's tossed around on a regular basis. Of course, it seems to me that Hawkings and Einstein might be better suited going to a message board that thrives on discussions of quantum physics and social implications of a universal currency, but hey, to each his own. To appease the intellectual appetite of the CDIH Geniuses, I would like to pose a topic of discussion.

Compare and contrast the use of supernatural characters as motivational influences on the title characters in Shakespeare's Macbeth and Hamlet.

Discuss amongst yourselves Smile

Edited By slackjaw on April 26 2002 at 8:44
I don't know how to read. {Sad}

Sorry.
edit - this even started to annoy me

my goal is to make this bigger than weeeeeee.
it feels good to have ambition.

Edited By HedCold on April 26 2002 at 01:47
This is certainly a decision......... this thread or the one about snot........Wow, I might have to put that choice off until tomorrow.
You know.....I can't read, but somehow I sense this belongs in Entertainment.

:moonie:
You are completely missing the point. Maybe I am just missing the sarcasm. All we are asking for is less noise to substance ratio. A thread doesn't have to be about shakespere or quantum physics to have substance. It could be about movies or music or something light and fun. I just want to discuss, rather than chat. Does that make me a troublemaker???
You know I bet that $lack has an e$$ay to write and i$ expecting u$ to write it for him.
Keyser, I am posing a serious topic of discussion, I have mentioned no names, so relax. I simply thought it would be interesting to see our members discuss some wonderful literary excellence. Ikea, nay my friend, I wrote that particular paper some 12 years ago.
Hamlet and Macbeth. Hmm. Ok I'll play along. Hamlet suffered from an Edipus complex. He wanted his mom and he was all torn up when she went on and started banging his uncle who in fact killed his father. He sees his pops ghost and finds out this fact. He then can't make up his mind of what to do. He's indecisiveness is his fatal flaw and it turns out that when he finally makes up his mind he's already lost his girlfriend, his mother, and his own life.

Macbeth sees the witches. Takes thier words to be true. His ambition makes him not let fate take its course and he does what he needs to do to get ahead. He ends up losing his wife, and his life. All because he was too pro active.

In both these stories the supernatural influences were there only to get the ball rolling. The protagonists both needed this to highlight their flaws as people. Vaulting ambition or under activeness killed both characters families as well as themselves. The witches and the ghost didn't do anything but plant ideas in the heads of the protagonists. The main thing that contrasts between the two works is what the characters did with these thougths. This is what makes the plays different.

How's that?
Quote:Compare and contrast the use of supernatural characters as motivational influences on the title characters in Shakespeare

Romeo and Juliet - What's taught and what was actually happening?

What is taught in school -

Romeo motivated for the love of his life Juliet is primarily concerned with her well being and safety. He fears that the oppression of her by her parental units may cause just harm to her psyche. In an effort to save her he persues acts of valour. Juliet - being the young nubile, fertile 15 year old girl is impressed with Romeo's actions so much she vows her never ending love to him and in the end both perish in a state of confusion.

What the real deal was -

Romeo is hangin in da hood one day and eyeballs dis chick Juliet. She says she's 18 so Romeo decides he's gonna get sum bootytime wit da babe. He goes all out wit da bling bling and wants her to shizzle his nizzle. But Juliet's old man runs static against him cuz he knows that all he really wants is get some of his little girls poonany. In da end, they try to fuck but it don't happen and they both OD on some serious E while poppin down a 40 in fronta da bodega.
grumpy, thanks for the translation. I never understood shakespeare before now. :thumbs-up:
I think that you have to remember that when Shakespeare wrote his plays, there was no concept of psychoanalysis. Today, we have Freud, Jung and Skinner, to mention a few, to thank for explaining how the internal mind works. In Shakespeare’s time he needed a mechanism to display unconscious thought that would be able to manifest itself on stage. Shakespeare couldn’t just write a screenplay and have someone do CGI to fill in the blanks for internal thought.

Since not only was Shakespeare unfamiliar with internal workings of the mind, as we now are all too familiar with, but also his audience had no concept of these things, he had to rely on contemporary folklore and methods, witches, ghosts, fairies...etc. to expand his character’s dimensions.

Often in Shakespeare you see one character as a narrator, someone who sets up the scene that is about to unfold for the audience. In a similar and quite ingenious manner, these specters serve the same purpose and supply much needed background for what the “flesh and blood” characters are going through on stage.

Wait, what was the question???
Quote:I think that you have to remember that when Shakespeare wrote his plays, there was no concept of psychoanalysis. Today, we have Freud, Jung and Skinner, to mention a few, to thank for explaining how the internal mind works.
name dropper!
hey slack, why couldn't you start a thread about monkey???????
joe fiennes played a great shakespear, and he's a hottie :fucking:
what is idle batnter?
Compare and contrast the use of supernatural characters as motivational influences on the title characters in Shakespeare's Macbeth and Hamlet.[/quote]

Shakespeare and the Supernatural
Occult figures in The Tempest, Macbeth, and Hamlet. Written in 1980, 11 pages, 12 notes, 8 sources, $98.45 <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.a1-termpaper.com">http://www.a1-termpaper.com</a><!-- w -->

Edited By Kim on April 27 2002 at 5:11
Hey am i the only one who doesn't understand what the fuck you guys are talking about?
i think i wrote this paper at some point too, but i'll be damned if i'm gonna dig up my old discs and look for it
i COULD say quite a bit about the macbeth half, but i'm too lazy to type what would turn into at least a 2 page paper