CDIH

Full Version: Motherboard question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sometime in the next month, I plan on building a new PC, a AMD Athlon XP 2100+. I've pretty much decided on all the parts except one: The Motherboard. So far, I've decided to go with the AMD761 GA-7DX motherboard for 2 reasons: <ul>
<li> Im not interested in Overclocking. This board pretty much prohibits it, so that's sorta a plus.

<li> Im not interested in USB2.0. I wont pay a additional $50-$75 for a feature I wont be using, when I can easily put that money toward a better sound card or whatnot.</ul>
So, any opinions on this board, or suggestions for another one? I know shit about motherboards, so any help is a plus.
Soyo AMD k7 Dragon plus. Awesome board. Ultra DMA 100, onboard Raid controller,smart card reader, front access usb, built on lan, built on 5.1 surround sound, up to 3 GB of Ram, all around awesome board. Its the one I use with my AMD athlon XP 1800.

[Image: k7vdragonp_photo.gif]

Click here for full spec's

Edited By Jack Meehoff on April 29 2002 at 10:44
Why go for an XP 2100+ when the 2000+ is so close in performance for so much less? You can even go to 1800+/1900+ without losing that much performance. As for the motherboard I hear nothing but good things about Epox boards on both Intel and AMD. I think their motherboard on amd side is 8K7A.

Personally I'm going with a motherboard purchase too(caused by my current one mysteriously dying on me). This is the motherboard I'm getting once it comes out on May 6th. I think it even comes with PC4200(dual-channel pc1066) RDRAM. So none of that you have to have two sticks of rdram to have it work bs anymore. I'm going to get that mobo with a Pentium 4 Northwood 1.6 ghz and overclock it to 2.4 ghz and overclock my ram to pc1200. Jesus christ I'm cumming just thinking about it.

I would seriously suggest looking into getting a Pentium 4 Northwood 1.6 for 130 and a cheap Sis645DX mobo(if you want ddr instead of rdram even though rdram is cheaper nowadays). The mobo should cost around 90. But I'd only really suggest this if you were overclocking since you can get to 2.4 ghz with ease. If you are staying at stock speeds go AMD.
That looks like a pretty good board but I have read that the AMD processors beat the P4's in a lot of the clockable categories. AMD is cheap and reliable and I have heard that the P4's aren't all that stable up in the higher mhz ratings.
Also AMD will be introducing some new processor in a couple days I think. So the prices will go down.
AMD will beat out p4 easily clock for clock. But Intel never intended the P4 to have a high IPC(Instructions Per Clock). When you overclock you really notice the difference especially at higher front side bus speeds(133+, current stock speeds are 100 and in the next month intel is releasing new proces with 133 stock bus speed), couple that with some high performing rdram or ddr and the p4 will start performing like a champ. Right now an overclocked p4 will easily beat an overclocked athlon. But at stock speeds the athlon will whup it.
Any verdict in this thread? AMD, pentium, soyo,The ASUS P4T533 ...??
Quote:caused by my current one mysteriously dying on me

[Image: sm-121715.jpg]

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>ACES!!! Linux strikes again!@#$@!</span>
Quote:Any verdict in this thread? AMD, pentium, soyo,The ASUS P4T533 ...??

Not yet. Unfortunetly, bills keep coming up when I plan to purchase all the parts. Right now, Im eyeing that Soyo, but also the Gigabyte GA-7VRXP.
No kid it happened when I was using Windows so naturally I would blame Bill Gates.

If you were going to overclock I would say Pentium 4. But since you won't be doing that I suggest whatever the second fast XP is. So if 2100+ is the fastest get a 2000+ because the speed difference is marginal but the price is noticeable. hell even if you got an 1800+ you wouldn't notice that much of a difference.
Ok, This is my plan. What I would like to do is take the MB and cpu out of this one which is a soyo mband AMD duron 750 and put it into the kids puter (its an atx case so it should fit) with the ram and video card included.

For this one I'd like to put in the best available option this week has to offer. (I don't want to upgrade for another few years) I'm allready sold on the geoforce 4 ti400, this mmx440 works fine, but when a game I'm playing gets too crowded with characters it seems to bog down.

So my question is, Who do I buy the parts from? There are hardly ever puter shows around here, so thats not an option, Circuit city and Best Buy stick it up your ass with prices, So fuck them too. I've scoured E-bay and they seem to have low end models of MB's. (I know I've asked you AM about this before, but I forget) Am I looking for Boxed or Retail, Duron or Athlon ??

Why do I want to upgrade you ask. Because I have no patience when it comes to puters and using them. I want that progress bar hauling ass, If it takes 10 seconds for a game to load, thats 7 seconds too long.

Any and all input will be appeciated .
Get your parts from places like mwave, atacom, googlegear, newegg. It's easier to get it all from one place so shipping charges are easier.

If you want the highest quality performance go with a Pentium 4 w/Rdram. If you aren't the type to overclock then get a "B" processor that has a 133x4 front side bus speed.
like am said, buy all ur stuff from one place... i just purchased parts for 2 complete systems from newegg.com... great prices and reasonable shipping (if you buy multiple items... they rape u on single item purchases).
I swear, sometimes I think I'm cursed. It seems like everyday something new comes out and it makes you want to upgrade. But as soon as you do it's obsolete. AMD is working on a new processor with a 333 fsb and a pentium-like heat spreader. New memory will be out to match that. Eide has jumped to 133. My choice of motherboard is a SOYO KT333 Dragon Ultra. Maybe it's good I don't have money to feed my addiction. :fuggin:
I'm going fucking blind . Thanks for the sites guys.

Edited By onehung on June 09 2002 at 6:27
I can change the desktop theme on my computer to one where it looks like I'm underwater.

And this is the best computer you can get.
Um you can't be serious Galt. A good processor is not the only important componenet of a computer. Interesting how they don't tell you a lot of the brands of the componenets.
Quote:Space saving design with "flat panel" style satellite speakers
OK, I give up. What, EXACTLY, are "'flat panel' style" speakers? Oh, you mean they are shaped like flat panel speakers, but really are shitty little 2.5" paper-coned midrange speakers?

Oh, and 4 watts per channel might be too much power for the average room! Rolleyes
see cuz it's asseenonTV
After Many Many hours of reading, researching, Asking questions, Contemplating. I have decided on.
SOYO P4S DRAGON, PENTIUM 4 2.2G , 512MB PC2100, AOPEN H600A .
I'm sure I could get a better sysyem than this, But, for what I do on the puter, this will be just fine. Just need to swap a few parts off of last years project and be done with it.

As for the soyo choice of Mb. I choose it because of its ability to be upgraded further down the road. Its all set for the latest releases of processors/ ram(*The fuck it is) .So the next time I decide to spend a few bucks (*edit* I'll buy a fucking dell) it will only be the cpu and a couple of sticks of ram to swap
<s>:thumbs-up:</s>

Edited By onehung on June 13 2002 at 7:24
Pages: 1 2