CDIH

Full Version: Gardening and varments - Any advice from those with green thumbs.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
okya people - I have a problem that some of you tards might be able to help me out with.

My wife wants to plant vegetables in our yard this weekend but the problem is that I have two gophers and rabbit that seem to be living near by somewhere.

Any ideas from you folks on how to get rid of them? and please try to refrain yourselves from Caddyshack jokes....I'm being serious.

I was thinking about poisoning them with rat poison or shooting them but my 5 year would have a fit if he saw me doing that or finding a dead gopher out in the yard.
Place a pie dish with anti-freeze in it near whey they hang around. They will drink the anti-freeze and go back to their holes to fall asleep and never wake up. It's almost Dr. Kevorkian like.
outline the garden with dried blood. You will have to repeat after everytime it rains.
just put some chicken wire up around the garden,
it is the only sure fire way,
I often hear that surrounding a garden with marigolds helps but I don't remember if that is for bugs or bunnies.....
Plus, he'll have to wait for his veins to fill up again.
Quote:outline the garden with dried blood. You will have to repeat after everytime it rains.

I appreciate the input but there are two problems with that concept though.
1. Where am I going to get blood other than out of Jimmy's basement?
2. I live near a wooded area with bears and other wildlife. The blood is going to attract them.

OAS - I'll buy anti-freeze on the way home tonight. Hope it works.
Grumpy that is insane......
the kids might get it,
plus if it spills you are going to poison your vegetables....
do NOT do that.
You could try one of those ultra-sonic spikes. Might piss off your neighbors dog and I've never seen one in action.

There are also humane traps. Basicly a cage with a carrot in it. Animal goes in, yanks the carrot, and the door slams shut behind them. Then you get to show your kid a real live animal before driving out to the country singing "Born Free" to release it.

Brits are big on gardening. Actually heard a guy say "My wife's getting me a water feature for my birthday." And he was happy about it.
Bro, I have deer, wild turkeys, coyotes and who the fuck knows what else in the woods behind my house....my suggestion to you....a fucking shotgun. I'm just about ready to buy myself one to eliminate varmints.

If that doesn't work.....why not just fence off your property?
Ken, bunnies have been spoiled and pampered most of their lives and usually demand roses.

It has worked for me Grump. Very effective with woodchuks. Jr will never know you killed them, unless I tell him. He needs to know about the ancestoral track record of exterminating things. :-D
Quote:outline the garden with dried blood. You will have to repeat after everytime it rains.
Good idea, Sloatsburg. You could also try coyote urine, too.

I have (in PA) a "Transonic Six". It's just a little black box that goes "tick tick tick." It's used just to keep mice, gophers, etc...etc... away and out of your garden or house. Before I got it I had skunks under my porch every spring. I have not seen a skunk since I have been using this thing.
I like it because it is humane method of getting rid of those varmints.
I believe dried blood has a very small scent radius. Anyways, beers only want to eat fresh meat. You might have trouble with Hyenias.....
Quote:why not just fence off your property?
Groundhogs & that lot, dig under

Quote:Then you get to show your kid a real live animal before driving out to the country singing "Born Free" to release it.
Or driving down the block to back over it with your car, in front of the house of the people you don't like.
Ken - point well taken. thanks
Dent - I have to be nice to the neighbor's dog. He's the only thing keeping the bears out of our area. Any idea where I can get a humane trap? Costco? PetSmart?
Metal - The wife hates guns and doesn't want them anywhere near the house. and as for the fencing, I got an acre of property. That's a lot of fencing bro. very expensive. Maybe next year but not this year.
EHEMMMMM......the bears in this area are herbavores. It's more likely you will see a bear if you put out cracked corn then if you put out a sirloin steak......ya bunch 'o dummies. Undecided
Grumpy how big a garden are you talking,
If it is small enough, just dig a small trench around it and use chicken wire,
if you go down half a foot or so and stake it, they won't go under...
Quote:plus if it spills you are going to poison your vegetables....
What's the differnce? He's planting in New Jersey soil.
Quote:Dent - I have to be nice to the neighbor's dog. He's the only thing keeping the bears out of our area. Any idea where I can get a humane trap? Costco? PetSmart?

Don't know. I'm a city boy with a concrete backyard. Haven't seen one in years. Might try one of the really big outdoor stores, Home Depot, or something like that.
Quote:I have to be nice to the neighbor's dog. He's the only thing keeping the bears out of our area. Any idea where I can get a humane trap? Costco? PetSmart?
Grump..those traps work really well. Any gardening store sells them. My parents had the same problem, and me and my sister didn't want the exterminator guy to come and murder the gophers, so we got one of those traps. For some reason, the little critters like cheese and peanut butter..I don't know why, but those two things worked better then anything else. We had a whole family of 7 in the backyard, and we got all of them. The only thing is, don't release them in a state park, or if you do, don't get caught..the state trooper was not impressed when he caught us, and less impressed when I told him I'd already freed 6 more..doh
One more thing..be careful when you're handling the trap with the animal inside..they're scared and they move around a lot, so the cage can get thrown off balance, and it's easy to lose your grip on it. Also, they're not too thrilled about being in the cage, so unless you enjoy the thought of getting bitten or scratched, use a stick or something to open the cage when you're letting them out.
Pages: 1 2