CDIH

Full Version: Another classic case of the kids vs. the suits - And the kids always fucking win
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Taken from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.viahardware.com/">http://www.viahardware.com/</a><!-- m -->

Quote:For those of you who've been worried about the new round of CD copy-protection systems making their way into the market, Chip.de seems to have found a solution. Apparently the new data systems can be bypassed by drawing a ring around the CD using a permanent marker. The bad data that copyrights the CD is stored along the outer edge--and blacking the final track appears to completely remove the restriction.

If true, this is an extremely ironic development. Millions (if not more) have been poured into developing this data protection systems, only to have them undone by a marker that costs less then a buck.

Hack the Motherfuckin' Planet.
The entertainment business will not exist for profit soon unless they completely change their model.

As home Internet capacity grows and computers become more and more advanced with their media capabilities, everything media related will be shared for free. There is no way around it.

They can try and set up any type of security they want, there will be a work-around in a day.
Quote:As home Internet capacity grows and computers become more and more advanced with their media capabilities, everything media related will be shared for free. There is no way around it.
That just sucks, because it will mean the days of charging $15 for a concert will be gone. To make money, the bands will charge more to make up for lost profits on albums. Not all of them, most likely just the bigger ones. But have no fear, record companies will find another way to suck your $$$ dry.
I don't think they will. Unless they somehow make a CD that self-desctructs after one listen, people will record it. Unless they find a way to bring about the end of the Internet, there's nothing to stop people from sharing those songs. Unless they find a way to end the sale of CD-R and blank CDs, people will make their own CDs suited for their own individual tastes.

The only way that bands will make money is on concerts and merchandise. record sales will continue to be stagnant or decline as more and more people adopt the ease of file sharing versus buying your own CDs.

That technology is light years ahead of movies, and hell even books, magazines, and newspapers. but eventually they will all get there, and people will not be able to make money off anything creative that can be digitized and shared.
most artists don't make a hell of a lot from the sale of cds anyway...only 25cents per disc. if they are getting rich that way more power to them. all the money they make comes from concerts and shirts
No, I said the RECORD companies would have to find another way to make money other than the sale of CD's.
by the way, artists make, I believe about 1/7th of the price of a CD on average. If it's a group and they have to split it, then maybe that's where you could arrive at the 25 cents per album
The artists should just put the tracks up in mp3 form on the net...
They could charge 3-5$ a disc, and make more money than they do now...
And May...the record company shouldn't be getting a cut from the tours...
At least I wouldn't think so.
Quote:And May...the record company shouldn't be getting a cut from the tours...
At least I wouldn't think so.
No, but if they don't make money on cd's, I'm sure they'll find a way to cash in on tours.