CDIH

Full Version: The melvins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got my ticket for the Brooklyn, Northsix show yesterday. So now I'll be seeing them TWO nights in a row!!!! The second night is at Bowery Ballroom.

They are without a doubt one of the heaviest bands out there now, and the great thing about them is that they're in no hurry to get anywhere in their songs. You may have them playing a heavy slow riff for 5 minutes before the lyrics actually kick in.

I've turned a bunch of people on to them in the past few years, and not one of them has ever not liked it. I think the reason is that they change with just about every album. They can go from a hard rocking album full of catchy tunes, and then turn around and put out an album of 50 minutes of noise and feedback. Granted, there's alot of people that don't like the noise albums, but I think you need to have an open mind for it and not just think of it as the band trying to pull a fast one.

Another great thing about the band is their interviews. They know how fucked up the music business is, and they tell it like it is. They also know how obscure they are, and take advantage of that. They very often have interviewers that have NEVER heard their music, so they take that opportunity to fuck with them. Makes for some hilarious reading.

The Melvins may be one of the most influential bands to come out in the last 20 years, yet, they remain unknown. They're one of those bands that inspire all the other great bands, but still have a very small fan base.

Check out their stuff, and if you can, for god sakes, go to one of their shows on June 19th, or 20th.
A great album to start with would be either Bullhead or Stoner Witch.
Mine came last night! :firebounce: