CDIH

Full Version: Need help with pop-up ads.... - Cause i'm 'puter dork...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was on a lyrics website and a ton of pop-up ads came up that take up the entire screen. I can't find a little "x" to close them out, nor do I get the option to close them with I right click on the little box in the task bar. How the fuck do I get rid of them without completely closing out of IE?

Thank you for helping out your friendly neighborhood 'puter tard...
{ctrl}+{alt}+{del} ONCE. Go to Task Manager and End Task on all the extra IE windows.
If two open for every one you close (which happens with some) you need to temporarily lock your internet connection. It's easy if you have ZoneAlarm installed. You just click the padlock to lock your connection and click again to unlock it.

Edited By Arthur Dent on June 14 2002 at 1:40
CTRL-W kills pop ups dead in IE
Thank You for the tips... I don't have Zone Alarm and I don't think I can install it on my work computer.

When I tried using the task manager to close out the unwanted pop-ups, but it ended up closing all my IE windows.

Thanks again....:-D
alt+f4 works to close anything really fast, too
Download the program Proxomitron. It isnt user-friendly at all, but once you set it up it works forever.
Quote:It isnt user-friendly at all
Unfortunately, I stink at the computer stuff, as you can see.... I'd probably end up formatting the hard drive....

I just find it incredibly annoying that there are ads that you CAN'T close! I don't mind the ones you can just click on the little "x" and make it go away...but don't lock up my whole screen!!
the ones without the x go with alt+f4, like i said.its a windows auto-closer, for anything.i use it even in programs with an x
Quote:its a windows auto-closer, for anything
This may just be the funniest comment I've ever seen.

ALT + F4 is actually a keyboard shortcut, as is CTRL + W.

In most cases, ALT + F4 will close the program that has focus. In some cases it will close the foremost window.

CTRL + W will usually close the active window. This does not work with all programs, but it does with most.

For pop-ups, I generally use ALT + F4 to close the windows with no toolbar.