CDIH

Full Version: Cool new toy for guitarists...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I picked up the Guitar Port by Line6 yesterday, and I love this fucking thing. It has everything you could want in a real amplifier, plus about 100 more things.

It connects to your computer via USB and then you can connect it's output to your computer speakers or a stereo. You then plug your guitar into the front of this thing, load the software and you're ready to jam. Choose from about 10 different amp heads, and as many different speaker cabinets, and four different pedals (some pedals have more than one effect). You can emulate any sound you hear in popular music today with this thing. They even have downloadable "tones" on their website ($7.99/month). You can also download lessons.

Another great thing about their software is that you can play along with a cd/mp3/lesson. It allows you to select a certain part of a song and repeat it, which is great when you're trying to get that one fast lick down. Additionally, you can slow the song down to half-speed without distorting the pitch.

I was going to buy a new amp because my tube amp just isn't practical for my apartment. Well, after seeing this thing at Guitar Center, I said screw the amp. This thing is better than any amp, in many ways.

If you play guitar, I recommend you go out and buy this thing today. You won't be disappointed. Unless you have WindowsXP, then you'll have a bit of trouble installing the software, but it does work. Line6 has the latest revisions of the software and the driver on their site.

Line6.com

[Image: gport-chord2.jpg]
How much does one of those things go for? It looks cool, if its semi-reasonable I might go for it.
Ooops, I meant to put the price in there. I got it for $169, but you might find it cheaper online.
That's a nice little toy. I've been meaning to get some more stuff that I can use my guitar with on my comp, but I jst haven't had the time or resources. Kid, got any nice guitar programs or recommendations????
is there any compatibility with any of the multi-tracking software that's out there? that would be awesome if it did. Otherwise it sounds like it's outputs could be patched into a mixing board or a sound card.

I'm still skeptical about these devices.... I've been playing guitar for years, and have always been looking for devices that synthesized amplifiers for practicing, and direct recording, and I've never found one I liked. There are a million things about a good ole tube amp cranked to 11 that could never be synthesized..... maybe i'm just old-time.

But I hear ytou about practicality... if I brought my electrics and amp to my apt, I have a feeling I'd be playing the 'Eviction Song' in no-time.
Couldn't you just boost 9 and 10 and just play at normally at level 9?
But this one goes to 11.
I played with that thing at guitar center and I didnt like it too much. I'm a tube fan at heart, but I can see where the space limitations would make this little toy a decent Idea. My friend had a line 6 combo, and It sounded so shitty that we made fun of him for weeks until he sold It and got a tube head.
Cluster, I love the thing, it sounds awesome, and there's lots you can do with it. Yes, it has stereo output which you could hook to a mixer or to the input of your soundcard. Then you could use any recorder to capture the audio track and import it into your editing software.

Zooty, I have a MusicMan Sixty-Five tube head, but I can't play it loud enough to even warm up the tubes, so it sucks. That's why I got this thing. I'll admit that it's not a pro audio piece, but what is for under $200? For that matter, show me an amp for under $200 that will do all the shit this thing does, and I'll consider taking it back.

As for cool sites... Guitar Tab Universe is one of my favorites lately.
I'm really interested in the lessons and play along features you mentioned.
If it can isolate the guitar track on an MP3 and then slow it down to half, that would be awesome.
Damn, I really gotta pull out my guitar and start fuckin' trying to play again.
Since 90% of the tab posted on the net is WRONG, I prefer <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mxtabs.net/guitartabs.php">http://www.mxtabs.net/guitartabs.php</a><!-- m --> since it has user reviews so you have a better chance of getting good stuff.
Quote:Since 90% of the tab posted on the net is WRONG
1/2 the fun is figuring out the mistakes and rechording them
AD, that's exactly what it can do. They have tons of tracks on the line6 website with no lead guitar. And, you can load cd, wav, and mp3 tracks into the software and then play them at 1/2 speed, without changing pitch.

I know most of the tab is wrong, but if it sounds close, that's good enough for me. I'm just trying to learn to play anything other than metallica.
for its purpose, its a cool toy. its not meant to be much more than that. i'm gonna consider picking one up.