CDIH

Full Version: Video Card - Cheap and lower tech - Just got GTA3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got GTAIII and I ran into a 12mb video card issue.

So here's my situation:
I have a P3 600 with 512 RAM (might be 640, anyways, it's probably too much) and I plan on updating my computer in about 18 months. I do not want to put a lot of money into a video card when I am just going to get a better one for my new machine. I am just looking for a strip of duck-tape so that my computer can play GTA3.

I am looking for suggestions on what I should get.
My gf2 plays gta3 fine so I assume you'll be able to get one of those on the cheap and be able to play.
gf?
Girlfriend? :clueless:
Geforce 2. It's a 32 MB Geforce 2, it certainly is not a top of the line card but it plays the game fine. I suppose you can even get by with a Geforce 2 MX.
Quote:I suppose you can even get by with a Geforce 2 MX.
Barely, but you can use a GF2MX. My mom got a new Dell and it came w/a GF2MX board - I loaded GTA3 on it for my brother to play, and it gets choppy - you have to lower the vid settings to 16 bit, and 800x600 can be laggy, so go with 640x480. Also, turn off the "trails" setting.

It runs just fine on my GF3Ti500 though :-D
I did some research on my system (besides the easy numbers to remember). My video card is a Diamond Viper V770 16MB. GTA3 requires 16MB, the error message I get is "VC needs to be at least 16MB", and damnit, my card is 16MB! I've did a looked around a bit. Let's see if overclocking will help. If not, then it's a GF3.
I think that's a TNT board, no? Maybe a TNT2? Either way, I would suggest getting the latest drivers, but I don't think that's going to help your cause - since that's an older GPU.

GF3's can be had for cheap, GF2's even cheaper - but a GF3 keeps you more in the "current" loop, and will handle pretty much all of the games out there. I can't see how a GF2 board will be able to handle Doom 3 or even UT2003 - despite whatever the "minimum" specs say (by the way, always go with the recommended specs over the minimum).

Check Newegg.com for GF3 prices, they're usually really good and the shipping times can't be beat.
I find that <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.pricewatch.com">http://www.pricewatch.com</a><!-- w --> to be the best place to go for prices.Link
That's another good place to look, just be sure to check out each e-tailer's review - sometimes they show super low prices for PC systems, but the companies that carry the super-low prices usually have bad reviews (poor communication, product never received, etc.). In the last year, I have gone to Pricewatch first, only to end up buying from Newegg.

Either way, just be sure to get the most bang for your buck.