CDIH

Full Version: Libya = human rights?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
GADAFFI TO HEAD U.N. HUMAN RIGHTS BODY

Libyan leader Colonel Gadaffi is to head an international watchdog on human rights.

Libya is to be elected chair of the United Nations Commission on Human Rights - despite its links with terrorism and torture.

The move sparked a storm of controversy as it emerged British officials did nothing to block the appointment.

Libyan terrorists were responsible for the 1988 Lockerbie bombing, which killed 270 people, and Gadaffi's regime has been criticised for violence against its own people.

Human rights groups and Tory leader Iain Duncan Smith united to criticise the appointment.

But a Foreign Office spokeswoman said: "Our policy is to engage constructively with Libya, rather than isolate them." (Sky News)

You know that thing in comedy movies, when the guy hears something shocking and confusing and he shakes his head side to side really fast and his cheeks make that "bluh duh bluh duh bluh duh" sound? I'm doing that right now.
I'm dumbfounded.
This....this is a joke, right Spit?
How is this possible?
No wonder the US has so many problems with the UN
Quote:But a Foreign Office spokeswoman said: "Our policy is to engage constructively with Libya, rather than isolate them."
isnt there a difference between conductive engagement and putting the absolute wrong person in charge. its like putting a vegitarian in charge of regualting meat production. i'd think they'd put whichever country has the best human rights in charge, not somebody who breaks every right there is
This is so special. It really is. This coupled with Danny Quayle heading an education commitee would just solve world peace by tomorrow.
Hey...I have a great idea....lets put Iraq in charge too! :bouncer:
can we make ossama in charge of anti-terrorism? or the current leaders of china and india in charge of population control?

Edited By fbdlingfrg on Aug. 21 2002 at 2:52
And Arafat should be in charge of some peace keeping mission.
You know, in all reality, if Bush paid more attention to shit instead of directing a bunch of reporters to watch him swing a golf club, this could have met some fight before he was elected. isn't this dude part of the dreaded "Legion Of Doom" or the "Axis of Evil" or some other corny shit George W calls them?

Off topic a little but Fblingaling, why do you have a sig of EPCOT Center?
Quote:Fblingaling, why do you have a sig of EPCOT Center?
cover of my favorite record. why is it so wrong?
Quote:cover of my favorite record. why is it so wrong?

I was just asking is all. Don't take it so personal.

Spit, where did you find this diamond of an article?
hybrid already started making fun of it...2 people is when i start wondering if it sucks

and i'm guessing she got it from sky news
This is so typical of the UN. Just another reason why the UN charter should be dissolved.
It's all Africa's fault!

US Expresses Concerns on Libya Human Rights

(first article was from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-12090008,00.html">http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,3 ... 08,00.html</a><!-- m -->)

Sean, you're talking about the same Bush who decided to boycott the Earth Summit this week, a major conference that has representatives coming from over 100 countries. I guess finding ways to save the earth that we play a main role in fucking up isn't worth missing a good golf game.
Quote:"I think the president of the richest country in the world could spare a few moments of his time to come to the world's poorest continent and show he cared and that the rest of the world did not just represent markets to exploit, resources to rip out and cheap labour for American companies."

Edited By Spitfire on Aug. 21 2002 at 3:11
:-D