CDIH

Full Version: Network cards? - I'm lost
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We're getting a second computer and both want to be able to be online at the same time...my brother says that means we need a network card as well as at least a cable connection. I'm lost here as to what to do, is there a store, website, etc. that I should go to? Thankers.
How do you connect to the internet? Are the computers in the same room? If not, how far apart are they? How much money do you have to spend to make this happen?
Right now we have dial-up, but we don't want to have to put a third phone line into the house in order to accomodate another computer. The computer will be in my brother's room which is right next to mine. I don't know how much $ we have to spend, but considering its not for business, I doubt its too much. I use the computer the most, especially since I'm taking 3 internet based courses this semester, so its important I can get online even if my brother needs to get on.
You want to network a Dial-up connection?

:crackhead:

With the amount of money you'd spend to split the computers (about 100 bucks, for router, NIC cards, cables, etc) it would only make sense to get a better connection first.

Upgrade to cable or DSL first, then we'll talk.
PA46:

I don't know where you live, but Optimum Online is having a special on it's cable modem service - no set up fees, no rental fees, no longterm contract. YOu pay for the service and that's it.
I'm glad Polly brought this up. Within the next month or so I will be networking 3 computers together. I already have cable internet service. All three computers will be within approximately 50'-75' of each other. I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible.
We're upgrading our connection, but what I'm trying to figure out is if we have a cable modem, do we need to network the computers to be on at the same time?
last november, we networked our computers at home. 3 of them, 2 desktops and a laptop. there might be other ways, but what we did was buy a router, hooked it up to the cable modem, put cable ports in the three rooms, and hook up the network. the computers are all basically right above each other. as far as i know, though, you either need a network or two cable modems to be online on 2 computers with one connection
you only need one cable modem and one router. you need a network card for each pc. thats it.

if you get a wireless router you can hook it up without worrying about laying wires across the two rooms. wireless router is around 150-200 bucks, 50-100 for each network card. slightly less for non-wireless router and cards.
Thanks guys...now I won't get ripped off when I go shopping. :-)
PA46:

You can buy a CompUSA brand router for 50 bucks. If you want to get a "name brand", expect to pay at least 30 bucks more, but I've had my CUSA router for a few weeks and can't complain. I bought the CUSA router when my "name brand" hub fizzled after a year and a half of service.

You can also get a network adapter that hooks right into your USB port for 25 bucks. You don't even have to open up your computer, it's Damn near idiot-proof.

If you want help, you can IM me. If it helps, I worked at Lucent for a year, so I know a thing or two about networking. :-D

I'm really not good at explaining this in layman's terms, though...
Quote:I worked at Lucent for a year, so I know a thing or two about networking.

The fact that you even mentioned a usb network adapter disproves the above statement. They suck and anyone who buys one (or a usb cable modem... ugh) should be shot.

.//chris
chris is right, usb will slow you down considerably.

even if you were on a budget, you can get a network card for around the same price as the usb alternative.
D-Link NICs run about $15 for a 10/100, last time I looked.
Linksys Router is about $60 w/ a 4-port switch built-in.

If you want to share your dial-up (which would really suck, but you have to work with what you have), you should put a NIC in your computer and the other computer you want to have Internet access. You will also need a crossover cable long enough to run between the two computers. You can use Internet Connection Sharing to share the connection.

Using a router with a cable modem is probably the best way to handle sharing a connection. In the mean time, if you use the above method of sharing your dial-up, you won't have to throw anything away when you upgrade to cable. Just disconnect your modem and connect your computers to the router, which will be connected to the cable modem.

It really sounds more difficult than it is. And once you do it, you'll wonder why you ever thought it was beyond your capacity.
Well I'm ordering my new computer this weekend from Dell so I guess I'll hit the stores this weekend too to get the router, etc.

Should I just buy one from Dell or should I get one from like CompUSA, etc?
Don't buy anything from Dell except the computer and monitor. Unless, you are financing and need to limit your immediate spending.

Your best bet is to order the router, NICs and cables online.
go with the models kid recommended previously, unless you have more money to spend in which case i would go wireless.
The only reason I suggested the USB alternatives is because a girl I know is having issues networking and she's thoroughly confused by the setup.
With you explaining it to her, there's no surprise there.
Maybe a stupid question..maybe not.

I'll be picking up a router so I can get my kids on cable also in the next few days. My question is, does it matter which brand of card is installed?? I have a linksys in this one and a d-link in the other one. And plan on getting the d-link router (if theres any left $40 at office max)
Pages: 1 2