CDIH

Full Version: Your job
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I hate my job, I'm not cut out for it & it is dull as shit. I took it because it is a big company & I figured there would be opportunity, plus they didn't tell me no (I hate interviewing.)

But I don't know how to figure out what I'm good at, or what it is a want to do.

How did you get into your career? Is it just a stopping point, did you find THE JOB to end your search? How did you know what you wanted to do?
I liked math and science but didn't want to become a pure scientist, so I picked engineering. I have to say, it actually suits me pretty well. I just wish that there was more to do sometimes.
With the job I have now, it's either quiet and slow or holy-shit-on-shinge fast. I'd like it if they gave me more challenging work to do, but I guess I'm just paying my dues right now.

I foudn this company while I was a co-op in college. I really liked it, they gave me an offer, and that's about it. I think I chose right too. I talk to other people at different companies and they have problems that I don't have to deal with.

I just don't know how long I'll be here. I like what I do and could see myself here for a while, but if something else really great came along, I don't think I'd have too much trouble dropping this place like a weasel in a cardboard shirt (I don't know what that means, but I figure it's something that is easily dropable)
I wanted to be an Air Traffic Controler when I was growing up. I decided to go into the military to become one. Well when I enlisted they told me ATC school was full so they assigned me to the 101st Airborne and told me they would move me into school when it opened up. I fell for the story hook line and sinker. In the mean time they sent me to Ranger school and taught me to kill. When I got out, killing wasn't a big thing in the civilian world, so at that time IT was the in demand field. Went to school, got my degree in IT and the rest is history.
After interning at Marvel Comic for a 3 semesters in college, myself and many others were shocked that no interns were hired when I graduated in 92. Prob was, that Marvel was on their downward slide to bankruptcy.

So I floated around for about 2 years waiting for something to fall in my lap, but there was a recession going on, and art jobs were impossible to find. I took odd jobs from places like Sears, JC Penney's, A&S, etc. Finally I got a job at a newspaper company out on LI, and began designing ads on the computer there. Got a job in NYC 6 years ago, and have been with the same publishing company since then. (worked in 4 different divisions though). Some have been good, some sucked...but it's a steady paycheck and during these days...which is much like the recession of the mid-90's...I appreciate having some stability.

Once the economy and industry looks up, I'll be looking to move on.
i quit my amazing job as a busboy at steak and ale last week. hooray for me.
How did I find my job? Dumb luck and a good friend.
Do I like it? Yes.

Want to ifgure out what you should do?

First step, make list of everything you like to do.
Step two, make a list of everything your good at.

Look for a job that includes stuff from both lists and you'll probably be happy.
If there isn't enough, think about getting training in how to do stuff you like professionally.
i'm grinning and bearing right now
new duties as site manager are starting to wear on me
but i've been assured it will payoff in the end
we'll see when it happens
My heart goes out to you Ladi. I can't think of anything worse than having to spend so many hours a day doing something you're not happy with Undecided
I didn't know what I was qualified to do when I finished school. So, I figured I would just take as many interviews as I could until I found something I liked.

Well, the first interview I went on, I got the job. I figured I would give it a shot to see if I could hang, thinking after 6 months I would've either found something better or decided to stay. I just had my two year anniversary in July and I've never even submitted my resume` to any other companies.

I like what I do because it is somewhat technical but not so much that I need a degree in engineering to succeed. The company likes me, and have treated me fairly well. So I'm relatively happy. Plus, as gooch said, if you have a job these days you can't really complain too much. There are a lot of people who just can't find work.
Right now I'm working as an Office Assistant for an agency that provides supportive housing and other resources for the homeless that are mentally ill. My friend got a job temping here and when they needed another temp, they hired me. We both ended up getting hired permanently, but never in a million years would've thought we'd end up here. I hate what I do because I'm basically a button pusher and data entry person and get little or no respect from anyone here, and since the other woman who is an Office Assistant here is mentally ill and slow, they talk to me like I'm a tard too. I've been looking for a new job for a while now, and came very close to getting one until someone I knew at the office spoke to the people in charge of hiring and kept me from getting it (which was kinda good in a way). I've been here for two years in December, and well the only good thing about it is that they let me leave when I have to for school.

I know exactly what I want to do when I graduate, and I hope that come this time next year I'm not posting from that job saying how miserable I am.
I know exactly what I want to do when I graduate

What is that? What is your major?
Quote:What is that? What is your major?
I want to be a federal probation/parole officer, and my major is criminal justice.
Interesting work.. but also difficult.

One suggestion, if I may... make yourself known to your placement officers at school. They are the real key to a good future.
Thanks for the advice, I've got a hook up though, much better than placement people.... :thumbs-up:
I've been with CompUSA for 4 years. I was working part time a couple nights a week until I finished High School and they took me on full time. I started as a cashier and have been a Front End Supervisor, Software Manager and more Recently the Loss Prevention Manager. The pay is good, the hours are great, allowing me to have a second job in the summer and attending school Fall/Winter/Spring. I'll probably stay here until I graduate as the Management is great here and I really enjoy my job.
Finally got the job I have been trying to get for 2 years. I'll officially be a Teamster at the end of the month. Goodbye bullshit office job...
I'm in the field I want to be in, but not the exact job I want to be in yet.

When I first went to college, I wanted to be an accountant. I dropped out in my first semester. Then I decided I want to be a cop. I went back to school for Criminal Justice and took the Nassau County police test. I did poorly on the test and also dropped out of college again. Finally, I went back to school as an MIS major, then added Business and Management as a second major. I've been working in the IT field for about five years, first as a computer operator and now as a data communications technician, but I'm not happy with what I'm doing right now. I'm currently looking for a job as a programmer, then I would like to move into systems analysis and eventually management.
Quote:Finally got the job I have been trying to get for 2 years. I'll officially be a Teamster at the end of the month. Goodbye bullshit office job...

Are you sure you're surly enough to be a Teamster?

Edited By Doc on Sep. 04 2002 at 3:13
Yeah, I'm gonna go with a NO on that one, Doc.

hey corpse, :moonie:
Fuck that. I'm sick of working for companies that offer little to no security, shitty benefits, sub par pay, and no pention other than a 401Krap. I won't have to deal with a shitload of customers and stupidity on a daily basis. I come in, do my job and that's it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4