CDIH

Full Version: Windows me to xp - Any recent upgraders here?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am considering upgrading my o/s to XP from ME. Has anybody done this lately? Is it worth it?

I have read all the sugar-coated reviews by Microsoft, but, would like to hear some real-user opinions.
Windows XP has a whole slew of what MS is calling "undocumented features" (aka - bugs). I wouldn't do it if I were you. I work in a shop that supports over 5000 computers and we are staying away from XP like it's Snuka's mom. Too much trouble for what it's worth and what it has to offer.

ME is not much better than XP so you're right in wanting to upgrade. It has a lot of limitations. If you're serious about upgrading, go with Windows 2000. Make sure you install Service Pack 2 (downloadable from downloads.microsoft.com). You should be happy with it. It works a little different from Win98 but if you've ever used NT Workstation, you'll be very comfortable.

Give me a shout out if you need help with the 2k upgrade.
XP has lots of "bugs". Don't do it. While XP has alot of advantages right now, it's just not worth the hassle with all the bugs. Stick with ME for a few more months. The first Service Pack should be out in the summer (hopefully) which should fix some of the bugs.

I just bought a new computer 2 weeks ago and made them put 2K on instead of XP. I'll upgrade after the next release.
Yeah, what they said. :thumbs-up:
XP's fun, but only if your gutsy enough to get driver updates for every single piece of hardware you have, like I did, and some tweaking apps.
Side note: You might want to keep WinME on as a dual boot, because some stuff just won't work with XP or Win2K.
I'm thinking of downgrading my Win 2K to Win ME since my VAIO doesnt support much of Win 2K and they don't offer any drivers on their website for it. However Sony did post a bunch of drivers and updates for XP and ME.
XP may be buggy as hell but it sure as hell ain't as bad as ME. ME is the shittiest piece of shit that I ever shitted on since Windows 3.1. Any fucking OS is better than that piece of shit. Fuck I'd use DOS over it. If the drivers concern you so much stick with ME if you must but try to do something to get away from that piece of shit OS.
Keyser Soze Wrote:I'm thinking of downgrading my Win 2K to Win ME since my VAIO doesnt support much of Win 2K and they don't offer any drivers on their website for it. However Sony did post a bunch of drivers and updates for XP and ME.
You should probably go with XP then. The "NT"-based OS's are alot more stable on laptops. Being as it's a Sony Vaio laptop, the drivers are more specificallly written to work together anyways so no hardware headaches are involved.
Win 2000 works fine on my VAIO laptop, its my VAIO desktop (its the PCV-J100 model) that gives it shits.
First of all I should slap you for getting a Sony desktop. They make decent notebooks but their desktops are udder crap. Second 2000 may have compaitability problems but it will certainy not cause as many headaches as ME does. Stick with 2000 or go to XP.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

What is the fascination with having to have the latest software?

XP is graphic and effect heavy, making it a relatively poor performer. It's also basically the first O/S with built-in spyware.

If you have Me and are having problems with it, try going back to Win98, or FORMAT C: and install Win2K.

Oh, and eat a dick.
Kid is on the mark but you have to understand any OS is better than ME. Stick to NT-based oses. If you are using windows here is the order you go in for choices.

2.XP
4.NT4
6.Tuberculosis
7.ME
AdolescentMasturbator Wrote:1.2000
2.XP
4.NT4
6.Tuberculosis
7.ME
excuse me, but how can i load TB to my computer?i've heard its better than this other os i use..."linus" or something...

Edited By fbdlingfrg on Feb. 08 2002 at 5:30
Quote:1.2000
2.XP
4.NT4
6.Tuberculosis
7.ME

I prefer 98se over XP for the simple reason of the registration bullshit. I did play with it for a few minutes in the store and it seemed pretty cool, but reporting to M$ about every little change i make to my computer is utter bullshit!

I never had any desire to install ME even though the mutlimedia aspect did appeal to me. XP has all of that multimedia with the NT stability, and with the service packs should be less buggy, buty I am still against paying for or even reporting my every move to M$.

I am gonna install Suse, and totally can this M$ crap. I have seen the light.
Actually with the corporate version or the crack you don't have to register with M$. The corporate version does this because corporations or schools usually buy 1 cd with a volume license and they might install it on a variety of hardware so M$ would be insane to fuck them with that.

But you are right Suse 7.3 Pro is teh win. No other Linux distro comes close except for Debian.
i have xp on my new laptop and i haven't had any problems so far, but then, it's only been 3 weeks, so we'll see. it's pretty user friendly, although it took a little getting used to cos i'm used to 98, but, well, yeah, it seems ok Big Grin
AdolescentMasturbator Wrote:Actually with the corporate version or the crack you don't have to register with M$. The corporate version does this because corporations or schools usually buy 1 cd with a volume license and they might install it on a variety of hardware so M$ would be insane to fuck them with that.
Hey, is this board warez-friendly? For information purposes only, of course.
No we would never partake in such illegal activity.

Check your pms weirdnj.
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will be sticking with ME for now. :thumbs-up:
it usually takes microsoft 4 to 5 service pack releases to get their OS' working the way they SHOULD... if you want the most stable OS, stick w/ NT4 sp6a... if not, go w/ 2k sp2.

its a shame M$ prolly won't release any more service packs for 2k... :disappointed: :disappointed: :disappointed:
XP fucking rocks. It never ever seems to crash. My slow ass VAIO seems faster running it. Best OS evar!!!!1
Pages: 1 2