CDIH

Full Version: Underground versus mainstream
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:Kid said in a previous thread:

I simply don't understand the whole underground music thing. To me, if it was that good, it wouldn't be underground. You people are trying so hard to be eccentric, that you all end up being exactly the same.

Huh? That's the biggest line of crap I've ever heard!!!! So I guess that means that since Brittney, J'lo, Backstreet Boys, Stinkin Pork are all mainstream...does that mean that they're the best music out there? Most people are lame and will listen to anything that's put in front of them. They're too lazy to seek anything out that's not on MTV or KROCK radio..they don't realize that they have alternatives. The typical thing about a radio-pop song, is that it is simple. People remember it, they can sing along and they don't have to use their brains while listening to the song. While other "not commercial" music is a bit more difficult to get in to.
The music business is a smart organization that is interested in making money, and not in quality.

I don't like music just because it's underground...when I found Kyuss, I liked their style so much that I tried to seek other bands that were similar, which opened my mind to new types of music. Authenticity...hard working bands that play their ass off for such little money for the sake of their art...just because they love to \m/...those are attributes I also appreciate in music.

Just because you haven't heard it, doesn't mean it isn't any good
[Image: t_reply.gif]</img>
DICK! :fuckoff:

I wanted to start a new discussion on it...just because I can Big Grin!
if it sounds cool, i like it. mainstream or underground, if they're good i'll listen.
Quote:See, Kid, some of do not wait to get into a band/artist until people say it is ok. Just about every song that is big now is from an artist that at oine time was cutting edge or underground to coin the phrase. Sure, there is alot of shit out there that is fabricated just by record companies and their target groups, but, most bands started somewhere.

I am looking foward to the new KoRn disc on March 5th and I still remember ten years ago when people were like "wtf ar you listening to?" I recall a certain "underground" band opening for Ozzy when I went to my first concert. Alot of people were just wondering who the fuck they were because most haven't heard of them yet.

That band was called Metallica or some shit.

Nuff said.

sorry, i am the lazy one today and I thought I made a valid point on the issue! :bouncer: :bouncer:
FEZ, this is a FIRST! I found you funny without drinking. I am really getting smitten with your posting lately :loveya:

Quote:Most people are lame and will listen to anything that's put in front of them.

To put it another way... People don't know what they like, they like what they know.
Wheres that option to remove posts from a previous thread that no longer apply to the original topic and warrant a completely new topic? Wink
eh, Fuck all y'all :angry: :angry: :angry: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :angry:
Meet me at the bike rack 3pm :punch:
Quote:Kid Afrika

My Shit's All Apart.

Group: Moderator
Posted: Feb. 08 2002,2:18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my lord, you people suck!

ani difranco? I can appreciate her uber lesbian, hairy-arm-pitted angst, but her music?

I simply don't understand the whole underground music thing. To me, if it was that good, it wouldn't be underground. You people are trying so hard to be eccentric, that you all end up being exactly the same.

I'm Kid Afrika. Thank you for your support.

Edited by Kid Afrika on Feb. 08 2002,2:20

--------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SLASH

Thinks Apri is comedy gold, I guess that makes me have 33% more

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 08 2002,2:29

You people are trying so hard to be eccentric, that you all end up being exactly the same.

Well, I don't know about other people coughcoughMayNERDcoughcough but i don't seek out underground music. I just happen upon some music by accident and/or recommendation.

The same thing with independent / obscure movies.For example, one of my favourite movies is an indie called Swimming with Sharks (Kevin Spacey) that I came across by accident.

Everything is not what it sometimes seems, Mistar Hip Gangsta Tupac

--------------

Keyser Soze

COOKIES: 5 (chocolate covered, ask Gonzo)

Posted: Feb. 08 2002,2:39

I seek out underground music not to be different but because I want to hear something different from everything else thats on the radio. Doesn't the top 40 mainstream bore you after awhile? That goes for underground hip-hop as well like Jurrassic 5, Mos Def, etc... I don't even know if you could even consider them underground at this point, but at one point they were and I don't now not enjoy their music any less now that its mainstream.

Its not mainstream vs. underground, its about variety and the desire to hear new music.

--------------

virgingrrl

The Bestest: The Official Queen Of The Damned

Posted: Feb. 08 2002,2:42

ani difranco? I can appreciate her uber lesbian, hairy-arm-pitted angst, but her music?

her music is wonderful...so misdar kid!

i need my music to have depth, heart and soul. don't get me wrong, i can appreicte all the cheesy that is played on the radio, but i need more then that, i hate played out shit. heh, i mean come on, you are talking to the grrl who shakes her arse every day to hot 97 old school at noon

--------------

...the sweetest cherry in an apple pie...

Keyser Soze

Posted: Feb. 08 2002,2:54

Quote (Kid Afrika @ Feb. 08 2002,2:18)
To me, if it was that good, it wouldn't be underground.

Yeah, cause Britney Spears is so scary talented, right?

--------------

Sean Cold

The Boss Hate Personified

Group: Administrator
Posted: Feb. 08 2002,3:22

Quote (Kid Afrika @ Feb. 08 2002,2:18)
my lord, you people suck!

I'm Kid Afrika. Thank you for your support.

See, Kid, some of do not wait to get into a band/artist until people say it is ok. Just about every song that is big now is from an artist that at oine time was cutting edge or underground to coin the phrase. Sure, there is alot of shit out there that is fabricated just by record companies and their target groups, but, most bands started somewhere.

I am looking foward to the new KoRn disc on March 5th and I still remember ten years ago when people were like "wtf ar you listening to?" I recall a certain "underground" band opening for Ozzy when I went to my first concert. Alot of people were just wondering who the fuck they were because most haven't heard of them yet.

That band was called Metallica or some shit.

Nuff said.

--------------

SLASH

Thinks Apri is comedy gold, I guess that makes me have 33% more

Posted: Feb. 08 2002,3:27

Does anyone know if Warrant is coming out with a new disc soon? I haven't gotten my indie newsletter yet, and I am dyin' to know

Edited by SLASH on Feb. 08 2002,3:28

--------------

Keyser Soze

Posted: Feb. 08 2002,3:41

Sean makes a good point, most of these mainstream bands were underground at one time. There are two types of music fans, passive and active. The passive music fans simply accepts what is doled out to them, active music fans actively seek out new music and like to discover new bands to expand their musical horizons.

A lazy music fan, way to break dem stereotypes Kid.

--------------

there ya go, read and enjoy! :bouncer: :bouncer:
Whatever, musical elitest :bouncer:
There are a lot of bands from other countries such as Finland and Holland that are not mainstream in America but very popular in their countries. Thus, someone living in the US would have to seek them out in order to listen to what is mostly quality music. They are not really underground, they are just obscure due to location. So there is a fine line in saying that if something is "underground", it can't be good or it would be popular.
Don't forget that david Haselhof is a God in Germany yet an utter and complete tool here in the States :bouncer:
Quote:Finland

Yea, where the hell are my Sonartica Antartica song titles to check out?
SLASH Wrote:
Quote:Finland

Yea, where the hell are my Sonartica Antartica song titles to check out?
Clean out your PM box Pally
Quote:Clean out your PM box Pally

I did clean out my 'box', you are just too shy to stick what ya have for me in it...

Which reminds me of that really cool underground song 'too shy shy...'
Well it still says it's full, so I'll just post the songs here:

Sonata Arctica:

Wolf & Raven
Kingdom for a Heart
Blank File
Replica
My Land
Die with your boots on (Iron Maiden Cover)
8th Commandment
Umm... there's more but I don't have my mp3 list on me

Stratovarious:

Distant Skies
Hunting High and Low
Black diamond
Speed of Light
Stratovarious (cool instrumental)

HIM:

Death is in Love with us
Poison Girl
Ressurection
Pretending
One Last Time
Razorblade Kiss

Amorphis:

Captured State
Better Unborn
My Kantele

Edited By The Sleeper on Feb. 08 2002 at 4:48
Kajagoogoo FUCKING RULES!!!!!11 :p \m/

Lots of good Swedish bands too, like Mushroom River Band, Mammoth Volume, Beaver, Lowrider...
well, i guess i'm just a lazy music fan cos i don't seek out much of the new "underground" stuff. but, when good stuff falls in my lap, i enjoy it. i don't really listen to music radio anymore, actually, i really haven't in years.

as for the argument that if they were "good" they wouldn't be "underground" creed was once a pathetic little college band in a tiny little hick town populated by students and politicians. they got lucky and that's all there is to it.
It's really like elections. People generally don't know they don't have to go for the same crap again.
AdolescentMasturbator Wrote:It's really like elections. People generally don't know they don't have to go for the same crap again.
figure the fuckin commie would make a music discussion all political

as for my tastes in music, they have changed immensely since i came to school. I've gotten into a lot of more obscure music, mostly through my roomate who happens to have really good taste in obscure/indie music. I've listened to a lot more emo/punk type stuff that you would never hear on the radio, and there are a few bands (dispatch, O.A.R.) that are huge down here but nobody up around NY even knows about. so in my case the underground stuff did kinda fall in my lap at first, but then i went and searched out stuff like it on my own.
Pages: 1 2