CDIH

Full Version: Record players - Kickin it old school
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I went shopping for a receiver or something to plug my record player into which turned out to be a pretty disappointing experience. It seems that most of the receivers today don't support Phono anymore, except for the pricier ones. I wound up buying a mini system hoping i could plug it into the Aux channel but lo and behold it comes out extremely low. Record players have a ground wire that needs to hook up as well, which the mini system I bought has no hookup for.

Any suggestions on a decent receiver under $200 for my record player? If it comes with speakers as well, even better.
you can have my old school brown and orange fisher price record player for $20.
Sold.
the cool crowd call it a turntable, or so they tell me
Ask Sleeper, he was negotiating with fbdingleberry a while back.
Sleeper, comment?
the receiver you choose doesnt have to have a ground screw. you can ground the turntable to anything metal. wrap piece of wire around the prongs and run it to your radiator or anything like it.
So why is it that my mini-system outputs the sound so low from the record player when plugged into AUX?
Quote:So why is it that my mini-system outputs the sound so low from the record player when plugged into AUX?

It could be because the record player doesn't put out a lot of power. I had a similar problem on my old stereo, but once I hooked up an external amp to the system, everything sounded fine.
cause your record player does not have an internal booster like most audio components these days. old receivers took that into account. it could also be that you are losing signal if the connecting cable is inferior.
I don't know anything about record players besides the fact that I want one. There's my comment.
this is what you need: LP ripper
Arpi, that totally defeats the purpose. I like the tactile quality of the record player. The records, the sound of the vinyl popping. Theres nothing quite like the sound of a record player, if I could only get a component that will allow me to hear it better!!
I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff, can anyone check that ebay link and find me a decent one under $200 ?
try this one: amp
thats not a receiver, thats an amp, don't i need a receiver to plug my record player into?

sorry if i sound ignorant here, i am totally clueless when it comes to audio components.
I would start shopping around for a solid receiver. Since it sounds like you plan on using it mainly for music, skip all the ones that offer Home Theater bells & whistles (unless you want that also, that's up to you).

I have a Sony DE-845, and it rocks. I think I paid around $250 for it from Circuit City. I bought it mainly for the home theater aspect, but it's pretty solid for music also - it's just not that bassy, even with my tower speakers, so I use an external subwoofer for the added "punch". It also has RCA jacks for a Minidisc/Phono player (though I don't have either at the moment).

If you want to check a great place to read reviews on receivers, I would recommend Audioreview.
it is an amp. my bad.
We have a record player...its in a blue like suitcase style box...we played our Shaun Cassidy and Bay City Rollers albums on it :-D

I think my mom still has it in the closet...lol
Pages: 1 2