CDIH

Full Version: Wireless networks - Wish i had something witty to put here
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On my laptop, i have a wireless ethernet card which i use to connect to my wirelessrouter. my connection to the my router was somehow broken, when i put my mouse over the two little tv's on the bottom of the screen, it said view available network connections. i clicked on it and there were two my default network and another one which i believe is my neighbors. My questions are, is it legal to use their connection to do my internet browsing? i wouldn't want to break the law but my default connection goes down on a regular basis and so far, my connection to theirs is pretty good.
Same as tapping someone's cable line to watch cable. And a Hell of a lot harder to get caught at. Unless your neighbor is a tech head, they probably won't notice, and therefore won't complain and you won't get caught.
let's say they did find out someone was using their connection. i'm thinking it would be almost impossible for them to figure out exactley who it is, right? there are quite a few homes on this here road. i'm pretty sure it's the house full of college students next door. one of them could be a computer science major.
wouldnt he show up on their network neighborhood?
It wouldn't be impossible at all for them to figure out who it is, as wireless devices have a max range of about 300 feet, and that's without walls in the way - so even less. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it's a house on either side of them. And yeah, I think you would show up in their Network Neighborhood/My Network Places under your own workgroup.

My suggestion - I've seen a setting on wireless access points, and I wouldn't think that wireless routers don't have it - it's like an encryption code. You enter a word (or any letter/number combo) on the router, and then only wireless network cards that have the same code put into their settings can access your router.

Might wanna look into that.
wireless networking should die!
I'ts really up to them to encrypt their Access Point to block unauthorised access, if they're not, how can they complain? They're are hundreds of Wi-Fi AP's all over NYC set up purely for that purpose: PUBLIC USE. However continuously checking sites like, let's say......danish pedophile pages could cause a problem for him. The key encryption is a bitch to employ and easily breakable nowadays. Although he could possibly block your Mac address. Also, there are new cards with extended ranges beyond 300 feet (even with walls and no exernal antenna) I really recommend anyone with a laptop to get one.
Quote:Also, there are new cards with extended ranges beyond 300 feet (even with walls and no exernal antenna) I really recommend anyone with a laptop to get one.

link please
Woah...I just installed a wireless network in my house...someone else could tap into it? Odd.
i tried installing a wireless network in my house, but the range maxed out at about 6 feet for no apparent reason, and i threw the base against the wall in anger
you need anger management
Quote:i tried installing a wireless network in my house, but the range maxed out at about 6 feet for no apparent reason, and i threw the base against the wall in anger

which one do you have? my access point is downstairs on the other side of the house and evrything works fine. i have a d-link 731p and a d-link dwl something wireless card.
Netgear MA401 802.11b Wireless PC Card
and
Netgear MR314 Wireless Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch
Quote:Quote
Also, there are new cards with extended ranges beyond 300 feet (even with walls and no exernal antenna) I really recommend anyone with a laptop to get one.

link please

Sorry, to take so long,

Senao is one of the new companies that have long range Wi-Fi cards.
ok, just got mine to work finally

but when a webpage with a pop up or 2 loads, or im downloading something, the connection goes from excellent to non existant (green to red)

is this normal?
i thought someone was fucking up my bandwidth! :angry:
what?
Quote:i clicked on it and there were two my default network and another one which i believe is my neighbors. My questions are, is it legal to use their connection to do my internet browsing? i wouldn't want to break the law but my default connection goes down on a regular basis and so far, my connection to theirs is pretty good.