CDIH

Full Version: Military prejudice?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I really think this bothered me, so I'm gonna share it to hear your ideas.

I'm driving home tonight, and stop at 7-11 for blueberry creme coffee (ok, not really, but that's funnier than saying water) and theres a group of about 10 late teen early 20's kids. Of course, as soon as I pull up, they all have to run inside at that moment to make their purchases. Walking around the store a bit, I was able to tell, at least some of them were drunk. So there's 2 guys in line in front of me. The one kid buys a pack of cigarettes, and he gets carded. No problem, he's over 18. The second kid (who was black, that has relevance in a second) asks for 2 packs of those little cigar treats that taste fruity. The guy at the counter (who was of some middle eastern india? descent) asks him for ID. The kid takes out his ID and the guy refuses him because it's a MILITARY ID!!! He tells him they're not allowed to accept them. Well why the fuck not?? The kid has a good physique, is wearing USMC sweatpants, and a sweatshirt that says Marines all over it. The kid starts giving the guy shit about it and saying why not. When he walks away (empty handed), he's mumbling, and mentions race, AND being in the military.

So tell me this, why did the "Indian" guy refuse him? The kid was obviously in the military and was over 18. Was it because he was black, or because he was in the military? I was actually going to buy them for the kid, but like I said, a few of his friends had alot to drink, and I didn't want to be in the middle of it for something so minor. Or was it? That's my real question.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to paint a good picture of the episode.
Quote:So tell me this, why did the "Indian" guy refuse him?

Offhand I would say because dotheads hate niggers. I say this because I have never had a problem using my military id. I personnaly hate dotheads more and this would be just one more reaosn to.
I've never experienced reverse prejudice like this. The Indian guy hating on the black guy. It really bothered me to see that. Especially because he would know about racial profiling and such. Now he's doing the same thing to the black guy.
get your water & walk out, you don't need that sort of fight :-D

:toast:
Maybe the ID looked fake, or was for a guy who was 34. Maybe they spelled Marines with a Q, who knows?
What surprises me , is that they checked ID for cigaettes. Why didn't the guys buddy buy them for him?
actually, a military id is not an accepted form of id in alot of places.
I've never had a problem using mine. Most places prefer you use a license, but my military ID has never been refused anywhere...
I know what you mean about prejudice. At the bar last night, I gave the bouncer my college ID. And JUST because the ID didn't have my birth date on it, he wouldn't let me drink. Obviously, he noticed I was half jewish and refused me service because of that. Fuckin Nazi-run bar.
fight the struggle!
A military ID is an acceptable government issued photo ID. It should be accepted like any other ID. However, the 7-11 as a private business reserves the right to refuse service to anyone. They may have their own policy not to accept any ID except for drivers licenses. If they don't, then it is just a typical case of the dothead not liking the darkie.
Maynard, is this the same 7-11 where people were getting grief for supposedly wearing their Bin Laden dead or alive t-shirt after 9-11? If so, the problem would seem to be more of an anti-american military issue rather than a race issue. I know that a Military ID isn't a drivers license, but in teh same breath, would my passport also be rejected because it isn't a drivers license?
I'm not surprised that this guy didn't get what he was looking to buy. A lot of these paces won't take military ID's because people behind the counters have never seen them before and are usually told to take nothing but a drivers license. I don't believe it was because he was black. I got turned down on the beer buying when I was in the service. The military ID doesn't always work.
Yes, same 7-11.
definitely a combination of prejudice and lack of knowledge.

Military ID is supposed to be accepted. There are also other forms of locally issued ID that is legal for alcohol, and that is more restrictive than cigarettes. The guy probably didn't know, probably hadn't seen military ID before, and looked at the guy and decided not to give him the benefit of the doubt (that is where the prejudice comes in). As for "reverse prejudice", it is not always white males being prejudiced; often immigrants are more (not less) prejudiced. If a guy with piercings came in with ID he didn't recognize, he might refuse it too - that would also be prejudice.

I don't think it is anti-military though.
You talkiing the 7-11 past the 80 on-ramp?? On the way to the question mark??
Yeah....the one on Lakeside.
see what happens when you live in the boonies?

FREAKS all of you.
Quote:see what happens when you live in the boonies?

FREAKS all of you
see if i say hello to you again!

i figured it was maynard. that place is a lot strange, even gives me a hard time for buying a slurpee if i don't get the biggest size. i think they only like certain people, like tall people like you
sorry Undecided
Pages: 1 2