CDIH

Full Version: Cingular - Grrrrrr
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have two cell phones on my Cingular account. The first one was purchased in December of 2000, the second was purchased in May of 2001. Last May, I entered into a verbal contract for something -- can't remember what -- and for doing so, received one month free.

Last week, my dog ate one of the phones. I went to Cingular on Thursday to get a new one. They told me I wasn't eligible to upgrade until May, but that I could purchase a phone for $179.99. Then the sales rep spoke to someone who said I could "upgrade" for $29.99 if I agreed to have that one month free charged back to me. I said fine. Yesterday afternoon I went back to Cingular to pick up my phone. The rep had everything ready, but when he called for authorization, he was told that the upgrade was not approved. I sat there for 2 hours while he spoke to numerous people at customer service and distribution.

First they told him it couldn't be done, then they told him that the upgrade could only be done at a "company store" (but his store would not get credit), then they told him that it could only be done by charging $180 to my credit card and they would send me a phone.

As of 7:00 last night, he was still working on it. It seems to have turned into a mission. There are several people on "our" side -- store manager, regional sales manager, etc. He told them that I threatened to cancel both contracts (of course, this would mean a $300 early termination fee to me) and that got no response.

I have a loaner phone -- they have no refurbished phones in stock.

Any ideas? This is just crazy! :crackhead:
Quote:Last week, my dog ate one of the phones.

I blame all this on Slackjaw, if it was not for him, my phone would not have been destroyed!!!! :fuckoff: :loveya:
Get insurance. My phone got stolen, from work no less, and it only cost me $35 to replace. I pay $3.95 a month for the insurance. :disappointed: Sorry, I know this doesn't help you now, but for next time maybe. :-D
No, I'm not getting insurance. Cingular is not getting another penny per month from me. I've been a loyal customer for over 5 years and have brought other customers to them. They have no problem taking money, but they give nothing in return.
Quote:No, I'm not getting insurance. Cingular is not getting another penny per month from me.
but it's a $180 phone!!!! get the free one next time
It's only $180 phone because the contract is not up. If it was a new contract, the phone would be $29.99. Bullshit...I'm not paying them $180 for a phone. The phone in question is a Nokia 5165, which is what they're using for the pre-paid phones now...so it's on it's way to being obsolete.

Or maybe I'm just crabby. :crackhead:
how much longer is left on the contract? i wouldnt recomend renewing when it is...
I have AT&T for 5 years, and I've never had a problem. I even added a 2nd phone.
you can upgrade up to 2x per 6 mos. I even lost my phone earlier, and they said as long as I filed a police report I could use the upgrade price. I've also easily changed my plan both up and down.

Insurance is a gamble. you're betting you are going to screw up.

The problem seems to be that you did it through a 3rd party. Once you sign up originally, you need to really go through the "company stores". They can do things that 3rd parties can't.
No, actually today they told the sales guy that even the "company stores" were not authorized to do the upgrade. Well, they could DO the upgrade (so could the Cingular agent that I went to), but they wouldn't get credit for the upgrade. Seems only Cingular itself gets credit. No one at Cingular is calling my sales guy back and now it's looking like it's going to be at least Tuesday before this is all straightened out. It's all principle now.

On the plus side, I found out that we got a brand new phone as a loaner. :-D

When the contract comes up for renewal, I'll most likely look around, but I'm in a tough area for service. I know Sprint doesn't work down here. Not sure about AT&T or Verizon. I'll have to do some research.

Edited By Sweet Angel on 1037509668
Quote:but I'm in a tough area for service.

VERY IMPORTANT.
AT&T has a good deal for its new GSM service, but it isn't everywhere yet (their old system was TDMA). If you can't connect, its worthless.

If you do change, make sure you get 30 days to change your mind. Most companies will do that now.
i want to change from the regular att service to GSM, how much extra does it cost per month?
i expect there's an 800 number on your bill that could give you the answer to that question...

lazy ass
Ok there Miss "I want to smoke but am too lazy to get cigarettes so I'll just sit around and complain" :-p
Try checking Ebay for a used phone. I have Nextel and I am allowed to upgrade anytime I want as long as I purchase the phone. I got my i1000plus on Ebay 2 years ago for 50 bucks. I am about ready to upgrade to the i90C as I can get that one where I work at half of retail. (which is 150 bucks for me). Once I purchase the phone I just give them a call and they switch the service.
bloody murder!
I BLOODY NICKED IT
:-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p :-p
Quote:Ok there Miss "I want to smoke but am too lazy to get cigarettes so I'll just sit around and complain"
i'm all out again, and i only had one yesterday :disappointed:
So go get some
eh, if i do that i'll smoke em
Pages: 1 2 3