CDIH

Full Version: CDIH Chat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On the main page, as many of you already are aware, there is a link to a chat applet page where you may chat with fellow CDIH'ers. Unfortunately for many of you, this applet is not working.

Here is a few suggestions on how to make it work:

1. While waiting for it to say "** You've join CDIHCHAT." be patient. At my work computer which is on a t1, it can take up to 3 to 4 minutes to connect. Yet at home on my laptop it is instantaneous. Why? I don't honestly know.

2. If you are still having problems, try updating to the newest version of Java Virtual Machine. You can find it at microsoft.com or by running the windows update wizard. For those of you on "special" copies of XP, I wll make the file for this available within the next couple of days and put a link in this thread.

3. Reboot your computer. As odd as it may sound, some have gained access by simply doing this.

4. Your firewall/router may be blocking access for you. In this case you will either need to connect directly to your internet connection or just not chat. Sorry, thats just the way it is.

Hope this helps a little bit. A better, faster, easier to use chat is on it's way. It will just take me some time to configure and design.
Thanks Jack. But that didn't solve my problem at work. Hopefully the "new" version will bypass my firewall at work.

Keep up the good work. :thumbs-up:
I have that funky thing going on where my home computer logs in instantly but my DSL at work takes a while. I have attributed it to my Zonealarm program. People should look into any firewall or virus programs that tap into java and monitor it. :thumbs-up:
I need to make a quick note about this:

About a month ago, Jack and myself were discussing several options concerning a chat room when I mentioned starting a IRC room. For those of you who dont know, IRC is a chat program that exists on a seperate server than the website itself. After I registered the channel and set all the administrative variables, we encountered a problem. Several people using the Optimum Online ISP service was denied access to DALnet, where the IRC room is located. I have narrowed it down to one of 2 conclusions: Either DALnet is banning people for not having the neccessary components (DALnet servers require a program called "IdentD" to validate users names and information. This program generally resides on the ISP portion of the server), or Optimum Online is deliberately denying access to DALnet to further it's own means (they have recently started cutting their newsgroup access, so this possibility isnt far-fetched). In any case, the IRC program is on hiatus as of now.

How does this effect you? Why should I use IRC anyway if CDIH has a chat program?
IRC offers alot of services that would be hard (if not impossible) to implement in the CDIH room. Services such as file transfers, user registration and password protection, setting "Ops" (channel moderators to administrate the channel), and voice-chat. Also, there was a concern that because of the nature of CDIH (RE: You're all a bunch of chatty Yentas), that a chat program hosted on CDIH will bog down the server, causing it to slow down and possibly give some CGI errors. This would not be a problem on IRC, since the chat room would be hosted on a altogether different server than CDIH's.

Me and Jack are still working on the problem, but it looks like we've hit a dead end. If there is a huge response in favor of a IRC room, we can investigate it further, but it's doubtful since (Im assuming), that many of you use Optimum Online as your ISP.

I would like to thank all the people who did some Beta Testing for me, sorry it didnt turn out better. If you have any questions concerning this, my AIM Screenname is ZombiePyre.
doomsday
do my eyes deceive me?
Why not just use Undernet or some other IRC server instead, Seph?
Quote:Why not just use Undernet or some other IRC server instead, Seph?

For security reasons, DALnet was our only real choice. On servers like Undernet, EFNet, EntertheGame, Etc, there is no user or channel registration. Basically, everyone who came into the channel would become an OP, and once everyone left the channel we would lose the name. This would cause a lot more problems than it's really worth.
Tell the truth, you used Dalnet because Jack kept getting kicked off non-stop and his screams of anger made you laugh
Hi Seph :lookatme: