CDIH

Full Version: Latest portable Mp3 players - What shoudl I get myself for Xmas?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know there probably have been a few threads on this already.... but this shit is changing all the time.

I'm looking to buy myself a new portable mp3 player. I had the original Nomad Jukebox that came out a few years ago... the thing didn't last too long. The LCD got fucked up, it never lasted more than an hour or two on its batteries. I'm looking to get a new one....

Right now it's up in the air between

1. the IPOD... expensive as Hell. 20 gigs... but I have a pc, not a mac. Should this deter me from getting this? Supposedly the latest/greatest version of the ripping software doesn't exist for PC yet.. but i think it is coming out soon.

2. The Nomad Zen... I think it's 20 gigs. a little cheaper than the IPOD. I haven't heard much about this one... just saw it for the first time while browsing the web.

3. Nomad Jukebox III. I don't know if I'd even consider this considering my last jukebox didn't last too long... but it is really affordable.

4. Fuck CD mp3 players. I don't have the time to be constantly burning, and want to eliminate the hassle of carrying discs around... never mind the fact that they don't hold that much. Not even an option.

Any body have any personal reviews or thoughts? Advice/ pros/cons would be appreciated.

Edited By ClusterF@#$ on 1039581473
I've been looking at the Archos 20Gig Recorder...which lets me record from any kind of source, besides that it plays MP3s, and it uses USB 2.0, which is much faster.

Archos 20Gig Recorder on Buy.com
I actually ended up getting the Archos as a gift. I'm not sure what I think about it... certainly not as many features as the Nomad Jukebox I had... but lot's more storage, smaller, and cheaper than it was at the time I got it.

Things I don't like about it:

I have not found a way to queue up albums one after another. I can only play one at a time (Not good for long car rides)

You have to maintain your own file system through file manager. Luckily Musicmatch rips according to artist/album so it maintains a lot of it for you, but in my nomad, you could just rip to disk, and the software that came with it would organize by either album, artist, genre, or by song. This one you have to be a lot more proactive about how you organize and how you transfer that orgainzation to disk.

Not as many features. Basic transport controls, minimal eq, it's basically a hard drive with play/stop/ff/rw buttons on it.

I think I'm gonna use this one for a while, and save for an IPOD and wait for the 20 gigger to come down in price.

My reccomendation would be to get something else.
The best MP3 Player was the Iomega HipZip. interchangeable 40MB disks, and could function as a recorder too. It was cheap as Hell ($100) and this was like two years ago when everything had 64MB drives or 128 MB max. The interchangeable disks are where its at, and no one does it anymore.
i have a 10 gig IPOD and I love it...its probably the best thing i've bought for myself in a long while. I have it for PC too...works great.
Ipod without a doubt. And the price will come down in a month after MacWorld San Francisco because Apple always drops prices after that.
I have a 10gig iPod and it rocks. I don't have the Windows iPod, instead I use X-Play to sync it to my pc.
i bought an archos and liked it. then i got the ipod for pc and cant figure out why i ever bothered with the archos.
Perhaps it was the Scuzzi problem?
:rofl:
I don't even know why that is funny.. but it was. Yeah... I think I'm gonna use this for a while and then just buy myself an IPOD. I told my dad what I wanted, and he still fuckin got me this... and I feel bad asking him to return it.
yeah, break your dads heart by letting him know how out of touch he is with his own son. good call. :thumbs-up:
I can't see paying $400 for an MP3 player, so I bought the 128MB Samsung Yepp, and I luv it. So there...
You aren't 1337 with only 128 megs on mp3s.