CDIH

Full Version: Question about CD Burners - multi-session
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A month or so ago, I burned 13 tracks onto a CD-R disc. Over the weekend, I wanted to add 3 more songs to the same disc. When I play the CD on the computer, all 16 tracks appear and play. When I play the CD anywhere else, stereo, car, etc., it only reads/plays the initial 13 tracks.

Why is this? Is there anything I could have/should have done differently to avoid this (other than burning the whole thing at once)?

My burner is NTI-CD Maker 2000, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help/explanations.
CD-R, once it's burned you can't add songs to it. CD-RW you can.

This explains it good.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.techtv.com/callfor....00.html">http://www.techtv.com/callfor....00.html</a><!-- m -->

Edited By Teenweek on 1040130577
it sounds like the program that you used finalized the session.

i use prassi primodvd, nero burning rom, fireburner, and cdrwin. of these programs i know that prassi allows you to add tracks after the original session.

oh, you don't have to have a dvd burner for the program to work on your pc.

Edited By LZMF1 on 1040141929
Quote:CD-R, once it's burned you can't add songs to it. CD-RW you can.
But I did add 3 songs to it, I just can't get them to play on anything other than thru the computer.
sounds like scuzzi problem
What does that mean?
Arpi was being funny. Scuzzi means SCSI a type of internal computer innerface. I believe that a Cd closes out the Cd and put a file explaining how many songs are on it, say like a record carving on big groove. When you came back and added three songs, the were placed "after" the original groove of the record and your CD player can't see them (because the are not part of the original playlist, or groove as the analogy is used above).
more simple:

most computer cd-roms = multisession.

most car / home cd players - single session.
Quote:more simple:

most computer cd-roms = multisession.

most car / home cd players - single session.
Aha. I guess next time I'll have to make sure I have enough for a full CD. No way around it, huh? That's dumb.
Computers read multi groved Cds.

Cd players can only read one grove.

Computers are 8-track players and can also read the 2, 3, & 4 tracks

Cd players are cassette players
When you burn a CD in multiple sessions ANY hardware that reads a CDs reads each session as a SEPERATE CD (though they may appear as only one compiled CD on a computer harddrive, depending on the system), because multiple sessions each have their own in and out tracks. The difference between Single and multi-session is the out track on a single session basicly says "This is the end of the CD" whereas the multi-session says "This is the end of this session, check for more in tracks". CD Musical Playback devices are built to make use of single session CDs, so they aren't capable of scanning for additional sessions, and will only play the first session recorded on the disk. Multi session burning is really only for use with data files (or to keep things seperated for sorting reasons) so that the entire CDs storage capacity can be utilized.

Essentially, when burning mixes you've got to do it all in one shot/session.