CDIH

Full Version: Optimum Online users - and all high speed users for that matter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I got this email today from optimum online. I'm guessing this is a way for them to scare you without charging you for bandwidth just yet....

SUBJECT: Email to Optimum Online Customers Regarding Bandwidth Abuse

Important Notice: Potential Security Breach

Dear Optimum Online Subscriber:

You may be running a server from you computer and not even know it.

If you use any of the peer-to-peer file services listed below without disabling the file sharing option, the entire Internet can access the files on your hard drive. In addition, use of these services can lead to network problems that may result in your upstream speed being temporarily reduced to control this abuse of service.

Aimster, KaZaA, iMesh, Audiogalaxy, eDonkey2000, NeoModus, BearShare, Gnotella, Gnucleus, GTK-Gnutella, LimeWire, Mactella, Morpheus, Phex, Qtella, Shareaza, SwapNut, XoLoX

Don't compromise your privacy or the performance of your high-speed connection.

See <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://security.uchicago.edu/peer-to-peer/no_fileshare.shtml">http://security.uchicago.edu/peer-to-pe ... hare.shtml</a><!-- m --> for easy instructions on how to disable file sharing for the peer-to-peer programs listed above. You and other subscribers can then continue to enjoy Internet services at peak performance speeds. And you'll steer clear of violating the restriction against running servers (see Optimum Online Residential Terms of Service: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.optonline.net/tos">http://www.optonline.net/tos</a><!-- m -->.

For further protection and optimum performance, we also recommend all Internet users maintain firewall and antivirus software. See <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wwwl.my-etrust.com/cvision/">http://wwwl.my-etrust.com/cvision/</a><!-- m --> for a very special offer exclusive to Optimum Online subscribers.

We want you to stay online and stay protected while enjoying the best performance of Optimum Online high-speed Internet access.

Thank you for being a valued Optimum Online customer.

Sincerely,
Your Optimum Online Team
So they're basically saying it's ok if you have a P2P app on your machine, but it's not ok to use it, and you should disable it. I'm sure all of their subscribers are gonna stop sharing now... Rolleyes
i would pay extra for more upload speed if i could

they should try that out first
So what they're saying is I shouldn't be downloading 20 songs right now, right? Ooops!
no i think they are saying 20 people shouldn't be uploading songs from you. i see nothing about downloading. :thumbs-up:
Okay, so I'll be sure to cancel all uploads :thumbs-up:
that seems fair
They're basic instructing you to disable the file-sharing option on your computer, meaning YOU wouldn't be sharing any files on your harddrive, but you COULD still be downloading files from other people's computers. I don't see how people downloading files from my harddrive is me "running a server" though, which, strictly speaking, is the only thing they're saying is prohibited.

Then again, I'm not a network techie.
they didn't list Soulseek so who cares?
that's because noone uses Soulseek - well, except you :lol:
I guess I'm the only smart one then.
Well, if people are downloading files from you, you are "serving" those files.... technically, it's a server.

While we've got all the OO users' attention, I'd like to point out one thing you probably noticed, but never understood. Look at your cable modem. Notice how the "Activity" light is ALWAYS flashing? Whether you're doing anything on the internet or not? Or even if your computer is off? I finally solved that mystery with a little help from my firewall log.

Most of these packets - which my firewall blocks, then logs - are coming from port 137. A little research, and I found out that port 137 is the NetBIOS port. NetBIOS is basically the Microsoft way of computers finding each other by name across a network (being phased out in favor of DNS, if anyone gives a crap). It does this by BROADCASTING these packets to the entire subnet. Now here's where this becomes really important. You will only receive traffic from your local subnet... I looked at my subnet mask, and it's 255.255.224.0 - a little math (31 x 254) and that means you've got the possibility of as many as 7,874 computers pounding you with these packets - which, though they may be useful in a home network, mean absolutely NOTHING over the internet....... but OO doesn't block them from being sent out! Granted 7,874 is the maximum possible, but still, you've probably got literally hundreds of computers sending you these garbage packets.... I would think that this shit probably slows your internet connection!

So, there's my story. Yep. Get firewalls, people.
wow
Quote:Well, if people are downloading files from you, you are "serving" those files.... technically, it's a server.

While we've got all the OO users' attention, I'd like to point out one thing you probably noticed, but never understood. Look at your cable modem. Notice how the "Activity" light is ALWAYS flashing? Whether you're doing anything on the internet or not? Or even if your computer is off? I finally solved that mystery with a little help from my firewall log.

Most of these packets - which my firewall blocks, then logs - are coming from port 137. A little research, and I found out that port 137 is the NetBIOS port. NetBIOS is basically the Microsoft way of computers finding each other by name across a network (being phased out in favor of DNS, if anyone gives a crap). It does this by BROADCASTING these packets to the entire subnet. Now here's where this becomes really important. You will only receive traffic from your local subnet... I looked at my subnet mask, and it's 255.255.224.0 - a little math (31 x 254) and that means you've got the possibility of as many as 7,874 computers pounding you with these packets - which, though they may be useful in a home network, mean absolutely NOTHING over the internet....... but OO doesn't block them from being sent out! Granted 7,874 is the maximum possible, but still, you've probably got literally hundreds of computers sending you these garbage packets.... I would think that this shit probably slows your internet connection!

So, there's my story. Yep. Get firewalls, people.
I agree, Soulseek is in fact the best file-sharing program
Quote:I guess I'm the only smart one then

is it really that good? maybe I'll try it. Can I get lots of C&C on it?
you can get lots of every band in existence
so, winmx is ok :thumbs-up:
for pedophiles and terrorists, yes.
Once again, leave it to yoda to give the TechTV truth to us all.

(and, yes, I did notice all of that annoying activity when my computer was off)
i got the same email.....i just deleted it without reading it. it's like the email that they sent out a few weeks ago about putting some sort of spam filter in place.....YEAH RIGHT!!!! i still get unsolicited bullshit emails about all sorts of shit that doesn't interest me.
Pages: 1 2