CDIH

Full Version: Ross report for 27 Dec 02
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For the last time this year ... Greetings from under the black 200X Resistol hat while wishing you happy holidays and a healthy and prosperous New Year! The WWE office has been a quiet place this week, which has given a few of us the opportunity to be productive. Plus, yours truly is preparing to travel to Southern California in a few days to enjoy the Rose Bowl and festivities featuring my Oklahoma Sooners and the Washington State Cougars.
Random thoughts and opinions:

RAW was a fun show for me personally to be a part of Monday night, especially since it emanated from my old stomping grounds of Oklahoma City, at the beautiful new Ford Center (this arena would be a great site for a future pay-per-view). Being able to participate in the tag match with Jerry "the King" Lawler vs. William Regal & Lance Storm was a unique and fun experience that I doubt will be replicated anytime soon (at least I hope not). I have spread the word that I am officially "retired" from active in-ring competition, but you know how it is in this business when someone announces his retirement! I am especially grateful to all the band kids from Oklahoma University who attended RAW. They added a great deal to the event with their music and enthusiasm, just as they do all season long for the Sooners. We have mentioned in this space on many occasions how important the live audience is to any RAW or SmackDown!, and I felt the fans in OKC clearly demonstrated that point as they were loud and enthusiastic virtually all night long and helped make Monday's broadcast special in my eyes. The only injuries coming out of RAW may have been Bubba Ray and D-Von Dudley with back strains and possible hernias after lifting yours truly on their shoulders at night's end. I really enjoyed the Tag Title Match with Booker T & Goldust facing Chris Jericho & Christian, as both teams were really cooking in this two-segment main event. The arm wrestling contest between Triple H and Scott Steiner was also well done as these two studs continue to build the anticipation for their Royal Rumble main event for the World Heavyweight Title on Sunday, Jan. 19, from the virtually sold out FleetCenter in Boston.

SmackDown! from Tulsa's Convention Center was another strong outing for the talent on that broadcast, and I especially liked the introduction of "Team Angle," which includes Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin. Both these former amateur standouts have paid their developmental dues in Ohio Valley Wrestling and are ready to make their mark on the main stage. I am very excited to see these two world-class athletes continue to evolve in 2003 on SmackDown! Also, a very solid outing for Big Show and Chris Benoit, with Benoit upsetting the 500-pounder with, of all things, a wrestling maneuver! I loved it! Excellent Tag Title Match as well with Los Guerreros vs. Edge & Billy Kidman. Tulsa's live audience was into the show from my vantage point, and it came across that way on TV.

Bradshaw just got back from visiting our troops in Afghanistan, Kuwait and Uzbekistan, and had a very rewarding trip from all accounts. The big Texan has traveled thousands and thousands of miles over the past few months on behalf of WWE, and we could not have a better representative! We look forward to getting Bradshaw back in the ring at 100 percent in the next few months, and I have a feeling he will be back in the best physical shape of his WWE career.

Congratulations are in order to Afa Anoia Jr. for being selected to play in the 2003 U.S. Army All-American Bowl football game for high school seniors on Jan. 5 in San Antonio. This very prestigious all-star game will be televised live on ESPN 2. Afa Jr. is the son of Afa of Wild Samoans tag team fame. This great young athlete would sure look great in an Oklahoma Sooner uniform next fall (too bad he's accepted a scholarship from Pittsburgh)!

Jazz has been completely released from doctor's care from her ACL surgery and will be back in action sometime in January, I assume. Jazz has been training in the ring in Louisville, Ky., with OVW and is ready to resume her physicality in a big way from what I am told.

I don't expect to see WWE Champion Kurt Angle back in the ring prior to the Royal Rumble as a result of his knee surgery on Dec. 19, but I could be wrong. The 'scope was a successful one with no complications and I expect Kurt to be 100 percent or close to it by Jan. 19 in Boston.

Rey Mysterio, Rhyno, Tajiri and Mark Henry will join Jazz in returning to action in the next few weeks. January could be a big month for returning WWE Superstars if all continues to go well. Soon after this group returns to action, we should also see the return of Randy Orton to in-ring competition. Randy's updates on his shoulder surgery have been very entertaining aspects of RAW over the past few weeks.

I visited with Kevin Nash in Orlando recently, and he looked really good. His rehab is going well for his torn quadriceps muscle (thigh muscle), but I still do not expect him back for a couple more months, or closer to WrestleMania time. I might be a little conservative on this estimate, but we should err on the side of caution with this serious of an injury. It will be interesting to see what the veteran has left in his tank when he returns from this latest setback. I wouldn't count him out.

I am told the Undertaker is healing well from a variety of ailments and that the rest he has been able to get over the past few months has really helped him. I am not sure when we officially see 'Taker again in the ring but I personally can't imagine having a Royal Rumble without him.

The King's autobiography has now been on book shelves for about a week and is selling very well. I have read several reviews of the book, and they pretty much echo my thoughts that this is a very entertaining and informative read covering a variety of subjects. I strongly suggest you check it out; "It's Good to be the King...Sometimes" is available wherever books are sold. The King has several book signings slated for the next several weeks.

I look for "Red Dog" Rodney Begnaud from our OVW group to be called up to the primary roster much sooner than later, perhaps as early as January. Same goes for Doug Basham, another OVW trainee.

Sean O'Haire has stepped it up with his in-ring preparation, and the 6-foot-6, 270-pounder has come along way from his Power Plant days in WCW and his early days with WWE. I have a feeling we will be seeing a great deal of O'Haire on WWE TV in 2003.

We are excited about Rocky Johnson joining our staff of instructors who will be coaching our young talents in OVW on a rotating basis beginning after the first of the year. Rocky will join Rip Rogers and Danny Davis along with the injured Big Boss Man, all of whom work diligently with these youngsters in teaching them the fundamentals of our business. Our road agents also visit OVW on a weekly basis to assist in this training.

Good to see Bill DeMott, A-Train, John Cena, B-2 and Matt Hardy getting increased TV time. All are deserving of the opportunities being afforded them, and I hope they all make the most of the exposure they are receiving on SmackDown!

Nice interaction on RAW between Rob Van Dam and Kane this week. I am anxious to see where this is headed. I would love it if both these athletes had breakout years in 2003. There is no reason I am aware of that should prevent this from happening.

Nice exposure for D'Lo Brown over the past couple of weeks on RAW. I am looking forward to seeing where this latest journey takes "Down with the Brown."

Stacy Keibler has made a significantly positive difference in Test's career, from where I sit. Should be interesting to see how this pair develops in the new year. I think most of you will agree that the big and talented young Canadian is one fortunate son of a gun in more ways than one.

Seems like a great deal of interest is building for the on-sale of WrestleMania tickets on Saturday, Jan. 11 in Seattle and through all Ticketmaster outlets. Check out WrestleMania.com for all the particulars.

I received a copy of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan's book for Christmas, and it is another easy and fun read. I had read several excerpts of this one previously but have enjoyed reading it from cover to cover over the past few days

2003 is shaping up to me to be a very exciting year for WWE. With the expected (albeit still unofficial) return of The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin at some point -- hopefully, prior to WrestleMania -- plus the return to the ring of several top talents who have been on the injured list, it occurs to me that our talent roster will be deeper than it has been for quite some time. This certainly will add some much-needed new faces to both RAW and SmackDown!, which should make creative's job a little easier, even though it is never easy being under such a critical microscope 24/7. My own personal view is that WrestleMania will be the launching of a new era for WWE, and with the addition of several new and healthy talents to the mix, things look more positive, from where I sit, than they have in a while. All in all, we have assembled the deepest, most talented roster of athletes I personally have ever been around in my 25-plus years in the business, and that is where success always starts, with the wrestlers/talent themselves. That's why I truly believe that 2003 is going to be a super year for WWE and our fans.

Be sure and count your blessings and I hope you have a safe and happy New Year!

J.R. (Boomer Sooner!)
i am too lazy to read that. ( YEP! LAZY LIKE A NIGGER!)
are you out of work too!! LOL BLACKY McDARKSKIN
Is there some website where I might have gotten the same information?
look! the skeleton is still WALKIN! i hope he does not get tired LOL LOL
Quote:look! the skeleton is still WALKIN! i hope he does not get tired LOL LOL

It will never get as tired as your pathtic atempt at humor. :disappointed:
whats pathtic? is that like perntz?
forst
My question has not been answered, where are your priorities people?
....hehe.... forst..... oh god, that's good.... :-D
Rock and Stone cold coming back?......It's gonna be an interesting year.
The bigger question is how do you work them back in?
.... have them both come in at the same time, and have Steph and Bischoff agree that due to their extended time away, they require a new contract, yet the WWE can only allow one more contract signing due to having been tied up with all the new stars.... then, Thr Rock and Stone Cold must fight for that spot in the WWE.... and then after that PPV match, the loser finds someway to gain a spot too...
SCSA wins the match and the rock comes back as the leader of the new nation of domination, thus then setting the stage for the return of DX and more (ugh) HHH.
stop it thunder, someone from the wwe might be on here and read that idea and think its good! don't give them any ideas...and gomez, there is nowhere else on the web to find this info
the rumors I have read are Rock vs Goldberg at Wrestlemania and either Austin vs HHH if he goes to Raw or even Steiner or Hogan or Benoit if he goes to Smackdown.
This would mean that austin's "contract" with raw would have to made void so he could go to smackdown. Skitchr4u, I'm sure the wwe has a much worse idea than anything anyone here could come up with. :-p
Quote:This would mean that austin's "contract" with raw would have to made void so he could go to smackdown.
If working with HHH would keep him from coming back, trust me he would be back on Smackdown in a heartbeat. If he doesn't his first feud will be with HHH.
So I guess that means the rock goes back to raw? I'm just thinking there are too many big egos now for those two to come back. I think out of the two of them rock would be more willing to work as he has said time and again that he would do anything for the company but I think now he just doesen't care cause he could just go make another movie.
all the rumors are saying he should work most of the year and he is coming back as a heel since that's how he left with Brock being the face.
Pages: 1 2