CDIH

Full Version: Computer Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I never bought the DELL...sale ended, my company's bonus was half of last year for everyone...so, fucked, I built one. (ok, I cheated a bit getting the motherboard, porocessor and case together pre-assembled). Saved a bunch of cash. Used my old Sony harddrive. Everything works great....shockingly. However...computer thinks it's a Sony still. It thinks it's still a VAIO, just now with an AMD 2400 chip, ASUS motherboard & video card. Will this be a potential problem???

:damnpc:
did you reformat the HD?

that would have wiped it clean so i guess that you did not.
The hard drive probably has a secondary partition on it with restore files, system information and other things that Sony threw on there. On top of that, reformatting the boot partition will do nothing if the boot sector is not overwritten. This is most likely the area that your computer is getting its information from. The only way to overwrite the boot sector is to fdisk the drive and set up new partitions. (or boot from a windows xp install disk and let it re-partition the drive during setup for NTFS).
you know a lot about computers, a lot
A

lot

No really, it's almost freakish

Could you imagine a convo between Magus and Jack?

That would be frightning
but...will it make a difference if i just keep it this way?? It can think it's a peacock, as long as it works correctly.
Peacocks are nice.
If, when you say it still thinks it's a VAIO, you mean that when you right-click My Computer and click Properties, it say "Sony VAIO", don't worry. That is just a text file. In Windows 2000, I found this file to be OEMINFO.INI, I believe other versions of Windows are the same. The computer doesn't actually know a Damn thing. You can edit OEMINFO.INI to say whatever you want.
Quote:computer thinks it's a Sony still. It thinks it's still a VAIO, just now with an AMD 2400 chip, ASUS motherboard & video card. Will this be a potential problem???
Quote:but...will it make a difference if i just keep it this way??
How does it still say Sony Vaio? In the system information or does it still have Vaio drivers installed? This is a potential problem if the computer tries to use hardware it thinks it has.

You should backup your personal files and reinstall/ format/ partition. Windows has something built in so you can try to transfer some settings to a clean install as do some other Third-Party programs, Aloha Bob I think is one.
In the system info. Chances are it also has some Sony drivers on it too. I'll prob just buy a 2nd harddrive, backup the important shit, and format the fucker, and put on XP Professional.

thanks fellas. :banana: :banana: :banana:
What's wrong with Sony Vaio that made you buy new? I just bought a Vaio this weekend.
They've been known to explode if you hit F8. Be careful. :-o
::hits f8::
Oh, jesus!

Still with us? Undecided
:disappointed:

SA just had to make me tell her, didn't she? YOU KNEW Damn WELL THAT HYBRID IS NATURALLY CURIOUS!
[Image: overclocking.gif]
Sorry for the dumb question...and sorry for Hybrid's curiousity! :-D
I have had a P3 500mhz VAIO for about 2.5 years now. It's fine, but to slow for my needs and lack of upgradeablility. I can't complain much b/c at the time, i only got it for $520 or so thanks to uBid (before they got smart and put in reserve prices). Hardrive started to die, backed it up, an then relaized it was time to get a new one. The new games and programs demand alot more RAM, processor speed and video memory.