CDIH

Full Version: Worst Tribute EVER - Joey's rolling over in his grave
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had the displeasure of listening to A Tribute To Ramones (Were A Happy Family). This may have been the worst tribue album I've ever heard. I hope they're not trying to raise money for anything with this album because it made me want to cry. I gave the thing a fair shot, but it was just awful. In fact, so awful that I deleted most of the tracks after listening to it (I didn't even do that with Andrew WK's album).

A FEW good songs on the album are

U2 - Beat On The Brat This actually sounded like U2 when they first started. Really good sound from the band, and an excellent cover.
Rancid - Sheena Is A Punk Rocker Not bad. At least it's a punk band doing it. And they sounded pretty close to the Ramones here.
The Offspring - I Wanna Be Sedated Wow, I was impressed by this, and I hate the Offspring. They're a wanna be punk band that missed and became frat rock instead. But this cover was pretty good.

That's all! There was some stuff that was interesting to listen to like Marilyn Manson, and Tom Waits, but they weren't all that good. They had every band on this album do a Ramones song in their own style. So the Manson song sounds like typical Manson, the Rob Zombie song sounds like typical Zombie, etc...

Don't DARE waste your money on this album. And I don't even recommend wasting your hard drive space to download it.
I want to hear your review of the tracks you DIDNT like.
Why?

Honestly, I can't, I deleted them and don't remember them well enough to review them.
I heard the Kiss version of "Do you remember Rock n Roll Radio" and I was stunned at how horrible it was. In other words, this album is going to be like a lot of these tribute albums, a load of crap.
they play the metallica version of one of the songs constantly on wysp. its meh.
The Metallica cover is one of the worst on there.
ok, here's a quick rundown of the entire track listing...

<ul><li>Red Hot Chili Peppers - Havana Affair: ick... god awful... sounds just like every other cheesey song RHCP have released in the past 5-8 years...
<li>Rob Zombie - Blitzkrieg Bop: way over produced... sounds like he just dropped his vocals on a rejected track from any of his own albums...
<li>Zeke w/ Eddie Vedder - I Believe in Miracles: eh, this track is ok... nothing special... but compared to a majority of the record, it's top notch Undecided
<li>Metallica - 53rd & 3rd: this is horrible... just plain horrible... normally they do pretty good cover songs, but maybe Metallica should stick to doing covers of old rock & metal songs...
<li>U2 - Beat on the Brat: this is probably the best track on the whole album... U2 have a raw, underproduced sound on this track which almost sounds like they recorded it 15 years ago...
<li>KISS - Do You Remember Rock & Roll Radio: this is track isn't completey bad... granted, it's one of the more "pop" sounding Ramones songs to begin with, but Kiss actually do a pretty decent version...
<li>Marilyn Manson - The KKK Took My Baby Away: ...normally i like Manson's covers, but this one just doesn't do it for me... it's way to slow & creepy sounding... it almost sounds like he dropped his vocals on an out-take from "Man that you Fear" from the AntiChrist... sessions...
<li>Garbage - I Just Wanna Have Something To Do: nothing special here, but it too is probably one of the better sounding tracks on the record... the music has a raw edge but is somewhat toned down by Shirley's vocals... i could see this becoming a hit single if it was attached to some teen angst movie...
<li>Green Day - Outsider: finally, Green Day get to show everyone what they've always been... a hack version of the Ramones... musically it sounds really good, but i never really liked his vocals... sadly, it too is one of the better tracks on the record...
<li>The Pretenders - Something to Believe In: Confuseduicide: ...'nuff said.
<li>Rancid - Sheena is a Punk Rocker:[Image: 1039214069688_rock.gif]...this song kicks butt... this is what a Ramones cover should sound like.... loud & fast.... kudos to Rancid :thumbs-up:
<li>Peter Yorn - I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend: ...who??? :clueless: ...never heard of this guy... sounds like a watered down version of Mathew Sweet...
<li>The Offspring - I Wanna Be Sedated: (see reply for Green Day) ...but his vocals actually sound halfway decent...
<li>Rooney - Here Today, Gone Tomorrow: (see reply for Peter Yorn, but replace Mathew Sweet with Morrisey or some other whiny drone)
<li>Tom Waits - Return of Jackie & Judy: ok... i like Tom Waits, but c'mon... this is just silly... it's almost like they decided to let Tom do a Ramones song, since they once covered one of his songs* (* - "I Don't Wanna Grow Up")
<li>Zeke w/ Eddie Vedder - Daytime Dilema: eh...another song with Eddie Vedder on vocals... Undecided ...i actually wished they left both of his tracks off & put on the live version of "KKK Took My Baby Away" that Pearl Jam did with Johnny Ramone... it's so much better...
<li>"UNKNOWN ARTIST" - Unknown Track: hmm, my guess is... this is so bad that no one wanted to admit to doing it... and for those who are still wondering, the song is called "Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World" but i have no idea who does it... or why they bothered...

well, i hope that clears everything up for you people who were wondering... if you really want to check out a "good" Ramones tribute, go snag Gabba, Gabba Hey - A Tribute to the Ramones...it should be on Maynard's FTP... i just gave it to him :fuggin:
Moron > Maynard

:thumbs-up:
Keyser... tell me something i didn't know Rolleyes
these tribute albums are really fucking cheesey.
Why because I didn't feel like reviewing the entire shitty CD? Fuck you keyser.

You deserve that cd.
someone needs to change their tampon
wow I think maynard finally lost it.
That mystery track is John Frusciante of the Chili Peppers...
i guess i would download it but definitely not buy it.